Polisy firmware update from 5.4.4 to 5.8.3 fails

I initiated the update from 5.4.4 to 5.8.3 and now my Polisy is no longer accessible via the IoX launcher and it's been knocked out, i.e. its not running any of its programs.  I've cleared the Java cache, and reentered the URL into IoX in the correct format and no joy (the error message says "not found").  I know its on my network because I have a different locator app, which shows its correct name on the correct IP address, and it also shows up just fine my my router.  I've also gone to my ISY portal, and it shows that my Polisy has been disconnected since I initiated the update.  When I try to re-add it to the portal, it says its already there.  I've also rebooted the Polisy several times with long waits, and still no joy. 

There are also no beebs when I do a cold boot - all three lights come on for a short time, and then the two on the right go off and the left-hand one stays on.  There are also no beeps when I press the multi-function either, and no changes in the lights regardless of how many times I press the multi-function button.

What am I doing wrong?

Posted (edited)

Did you try SSH'ing into the Polisy? 

@Geddy mentioned it in the Default Email Server thread, and it's a good idea to check if you have SSH access at a minimum.

Open Command Line or Terminal:

ssh admin@ipAddressOfPolisy

Default password for the admin user under ssh is "admin" (note that it is not the same as Admin Console password, which you have likely changed).

You can then use this command, again using the "admin" password, to see what updates are being attempted:

sudo tail -f /var/udx/logs/log

You can also use this if you have any PG3 Nodeservers / Plugins to see activity there, if present:

sudo tail -f /var/polyglot/pg3/logs/pg3-current.log

I once had an issue (Ticket #19880) where:

I got my 3 lights briefly, then down to 1. I still hadn't fully put on the top cover, so I was able to see the SATA LED towards the front right of the board was blinking, then the smaller LED next to the mSATA drive.
No beeps.
Not online (not seen in router, not seen in IoX Launcher, not seen in SSH).
Let it sit for hours.
No change.

It was resolved with re-imaging the device via @Michel Kohanim's instructions (note these may be very out of date, since this was back in February 2023).
Also note, this would wipe your device, so proceed with caution if you do not have a backup handy -- there may be less destructive methods UD / Michel can help you navigate in the ticket you have open with them.

You need a mSATA to USB adapter, something like this.

Download image:

1. Download https://udx.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/os_images/polisy.131.img

Unix:

1. dd if=/dev/zero of= bs=1M conv=sync status=progress (this clears the contents)
  2. dd if=polisy.131.img of= bs=1M conv=sync status=progress

Windows:

1. Connect the SSD to the adapter and plug into your computer (USB)
  2. Download Rufus from https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/releases/download/v3.20/rufus-3.20p.exe and start it
    • Click on Show advanced driver properties and make sure List USB Hard Drives is checked
    • The Device should show you something like EFISYS (Disk xxx) (32GB)
    • From Boot selection, choose Disk or ISO image (Please select) and then click on the Select button which allows you to pick polisy.13.img that you downloaded previously 
    • Click on the Start button

Final Step:

1. Once done, unplug, take the SSD card and plug it back into polisy
  2. Once booted up, go to Admin Console | Configuration tab | and click on the Update Packages button. Wait for 4 beeps + 1 at the end

Edited by residualimages
adding details from Ticket #19880

I've tried updating and am encountering issues.  I cannot locate the ISY via launcher nor the web based, however, I do see it shown on my Network.

I used the command "sudo tail -f /var/udx/logs/log" and receive the following:

image.thumb.png.88cd04dc22a5d5d1f0240697d3938166.png

I also tried shutting it down, removing power, then powering back up and nothing has changed.  I then tried hitting the multi function button twice to force a restart, nothing. The far left LED on front panel is the only lit.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Posted (edited)

The fact that it's on your network is good! SSH'ing into it is nice.
(you can use CTRL+C to get out of the tail command)

1. Are you getting advice in your ticket from UD staff?

2. Did you say that you had tried this official way to update the IoX Launcher to re-include your device, since you have an IP address and it is online enough for SSH?
    I get the impression the auto-discover fails / cannot connect, and you tried the URL method (quote from here: I've cleared the Java cache, and reentered the URL into IoX in the correct format and no joy (the message says not found), but just to confirm... these exact steps did fail you?
    EDIT: Just realized @Mayben you posted the most recent reply, not @CoLong 😅
    a) In ISY Launcher, click on the Add button
    b) Enter https://192.168.1.113:8443/desc into the dialog. 
    c) Click on the OK button
  3. From https://wiki.universal-devices.com/Polisy:User_Guide#Troubleshooting:
    If the OS is below 13, you have a few choices:
    If your Polisy is more than 2 years old: 
    You can purchase a brand new and updated SSD from here
    If you are a geek, you can reflash your SSD yourself. Please submit a ticket (note from residualimages: likely is basically the old Feb 2023 notes I mentioned in the end of my last post)
    If your Polisy is more than 1 and less than 2 years old
    Please ship to:
    Universal Devices
    c/o Reflash
    5435 Balboa Blvd.
    Suite 205
    Encino, CA 91316

Please make sure you include your return mailing address.
    If your Polisy is less than 1 year old, please submit a ticket and request for RMA

Edited by residualimages