Will Insteon in-line dimmer work for on/off loads

Hi

I hope this is appropriate place to ask this question. I have an ISY99, but my question is about an Insteon device connected to it.

I need an in-line solution for turning a device (fan) on and off. I had previously used an Insteon In-LineLinc Relay, but they are no longer available. Wondering if I can use a Micro Dimmer Switch Module and set the ramp rate to zero with the ISY. The fan is obviously not "dimmable".. Any pointers?

On 5/3/2024 at 2:20 PM, Javi said:

That is possible, and is easy to test. Swipe app from recents and reopen.  

Others may correct me, but if the motor is an AC motor, then it should work fine as an AC motor can handle varying current. ie: ceiling fan with an old fashion pull chain.

However it its a DC motor, you will ruin it and should only use an off on. 

• Like 2

There are several different micro module products from insteon.. One of them is an on/off relay I use to control a kitchen fan.

If your requirement is on/off only, I recommend that one.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You may want to check the drop down list in the Administrative Console of the ISY99i.

As its last firmware may not have the later Insteon modules in its firmware. So it could be properly controlled.

I also think an On Off relay type is the safe way to go. As dimmers frequently don't like any inductive motor loads. There is also a small time in the AC Cycle where there is no current to the motor at the zero crossing of the AC wave.

Edited by Brian H
Add something
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

@Brian H The on/off module precedes the 994i sunset and should work. But to your point about the inline and micromodules; better to know for sure if the motors can be dimmed. Mine were buried in far away and hard to get at places. Its better to use an on/off micro module to do it once.

Edited by paulbates
  • Like 1