Once stable system, improved with hardware, one last issue

I'm starting a new thread in ISY994, but it could go in ISY too.  

Summary of my journey of late: 14 year stable system.  A couple of PLM replacements over the years.  Recently, PLM dies, replace, but programs not running. Communication is okay, with all but two devices.  Those two are in the same gang.  On this forum's advice, I upgrade from ISY994 to ISY.  Programs now running, but those two devices cannot be communicated with, still.  Years ago I was told that Insteon devices don't fail, but I'm starting to wonder.

Yes, I've relocated the PLM to various sites, I've pulled the setting pin (which used to work), and nothing.  

I guess my question is, do Insteon devices fail, and is there a tech solution, or only a purchase solution?

Thanks

Yes they can fail.

Most where probably the older designed I1 power line ones but I have seen some of the newer ones also being reported as going bad. Newer ones went to a switching power supply and may have had the capacitor issues we see in the 2413S PLM. I have also seen not working tact switches under KPL buttons reported.

I have had some 2456S3 ApplinceLincs fail. One actually started pulsing On and Off at about a 60 cycle rate. Replacing the capacitors in it fixed it. My ISY994i also had a power supply wall wart fail and I did a SD Card swap for good measure.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, fegelmej said:

Those two are in the same gang.

I find this curious, and would consider the possibility that this is more than a coincidence.  What else is plugged in here?  If you disconnect the loads from the appliancelincs, does communication improve?  If you remove one of the appliancelincs, does communication with the other improve?  If you temporarily move the appliancelincs to another location, does this improve communication?  Do both happen to be plugged into, or near, a surge suppressor?

Edited by oberkc
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, oberkc said:

If you disconnect the loads from the appliancelincs, does communication improve?  If you remove one of the appliancelincs, does communication with the other improve?  If you temporarily move the appliancelincs to another location, does this improve communication?  Do both happen to be plugged into, or near, a surge suppressor?

These are great troubleshooting ideas.  THey are also my oldest two Insteon units (2876DB Icon Dimmer V, .39) controlling single light fixtures.  I'll mess around with your suggestions, though changing out caps is probably beyond my skill set.

FYI, my 994 was getting twitchy, changed out the SD card without improvement.  That's why the upgrade to the EISY.  Now I just need to figure out how to take advantage of all the power in this thing.  

Thanks again.