Can't get Fanlinc to add to ISY

armymutt

I wired in a fanlinc and 6 button keypad for our master bedroom.  Needless to say that getting this up and running is critical.  It is wired in correctly as far as I can tell. The light and fan LEDs are lit.  There is power going through the line side of the fan linc.  Every time ISY says it can't determine the Insteon engine, even when I put in the device type.

I get that error sometimes when I input the address in the name field; and name in the address field.  Sounds rudimentary - but did you make sure you got the right data in the right field?  Also, I never select the device type and let it auto-detect.  

Any diag output from the event viewer on level three when you try to add it you could include?  I know I can't decipher it but others on here typically can; worse case - support ticket.  

Posted (edited)

@armymutt

"Cant determine Insteon engine" means that the PLM is unable to communicate with the device.  It usually occurs when you attempt to install a device and enter an incorrect device address during the linking process.

The device address can sometimes be misread, i.e. 8 and B

What's is the address of the device you're trying to install?

Edited by Techman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, armymutt said:

Every time ISY says it can't determine the Insteon engine, even when I put in the device type.

Try auto linking.

Otherwise, make sure that you're putting in the address correctly. Ds and Bs sometimes look like 0 (zero) and 8 (eight) and vice-versa. I rarely will type in an address to link and rely on auto to make the connection. 

If new (to you) device please be sure to select "Remove existing links". Many will always suggest a factory reset before adding a device (even if brand new from the factory) as sometimes even factory testing can create links in devices that could have unexpected results once added to a system. This being in the ceiling fan it's probably not the easiest device to get to and near impossible to factory reset without assistance. 

I figured it out.  First rule of Insteon installs is the instructions aren't exactly right.  I had the red wire in the keypad connected to the load wire going to the fan.  That would be correct if there wasn't a Fanlinc.  Since the Fanlinc is in the system, the load wire gets tied in with the line wire.  So, even with the switch passing electricity to the Fanlinc, the Fanlinc was apparently smart enough to not want to link up appropriately.  I capped the red wire on the switch, connected the black load wire to the line wire bundle, and everything works beautifully.  
For those who need a video reference, I found one here: