LiFX replacement

Go to solution Solved by kzboray,

I'm hoping for a working solution for LiFX. I just did their strip lighting for my kitchen under cabinet lighting. I was debating between Hue and LiFX. Had LiFX before and liked it.  Went to install the node server and nothing. Can't get it to work. Then a few days later, the Hue integration is announced. Argh

• Solution
Posted (edited)

As a long time user of the LifX NS's going back to the original PG1 I have a love hate relationship with this NS. It is actually still working if you set it up correctly.

1.) In AC go to configuration and click the Install Dev Packages button. This can take a long time to finish 20 minutes or longer depending on the platform you are using. Polisy or eISY
2.) Install the LifX nodeserver, if it is already installed delete it and reinstall it from scratch.
3.) Create a devlist.yaml that includes all your LifX devices, and groups. While this is optional, it provides the best results in usability.
https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/40737-devlistyaml/#comment-362430
4.) Configure the LifX NS to use the devlist.yaml and restart the NS.
In Custom Parameters add a key of Devlist and a Value of the location where you put the devlist. The easiest place to put it is in the admin home directory. In that case the value would be /usr/home/admin/devlist.yaml

5.) Update all your programs/scenes with the new devices created per the devlist vs discovery.

I will also share with you that if you open a ticket with UD Micheal will do his best to help you get it working. Michael has always been extremely helpful anytime I opened a ticket.

https://www.universal-devices.com/contact-us/

Edited by kzboray
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

@Bumbershoot Yes it is still very much a weirdness. The last octet will need to be changed from what your router has for the reservation to what the LifX app says is the actual MAC addr if you are using a devlist.

Edited by kzboray