Home assistant with Polisy?

I am using the ISY994 with Home Assistant.

When initialized, Home Assistant "Receives" node information from the ISY.  Nodes are typically presented as "cards" in Home Assistant (example below).  You can control nodes (and scenes) directly from the "card" or you can write programs to turn on devices within the ISY994. 

I am not sure that it's possible to control Home Assistant devices from the ISY.  You can write Home Assistant programs to respond to ISY actions.

Clear as mud right?

Documentation: ISY Integration on Home Assistant

image.thumb.png.3b1e12a815d7ca76ad7b7424245cc75e.png 

Edited by IndyMike

I'm running a PolIsy with Home Assistant. I've used HA to control the Polisy but not Polisy to control HA. There might be a way but I've not found a need to do that. I'm working toward the Polisy running all the Insteon hardware and HA running everything else.

13 hours ago, IndyMike said:

I am using the ISY994 with Home Assistant.

When initialized, Home Assistant "Receives" node information from the ISY.  Nodes are typically presented as "cards" in Home Assistant (example below).  You can control nodes (and scenes) directly from the "card" or you can write programs to turn on devices within the ISY994. 

I am not sure that it's possible to control Home Assistant devices from the ISY.  You can write Home Assistant programs to respond to ISY actions.

Clear as mud right?

Documentation: ISY Integration on Home Assistant

image.thumb.png.3b1e12a815d7ca76ad7b7424245cc75e.png 

Oh that's awesome.  Thanks

4 hours ago, Rocketron said:

I'm running a PolIsy with Home Assistant. I've used HA to control the Polisy but not Polisy to control HA. There might be a way but I've not found a need to do that. I'm working toward the Polisy running all the Insteon hardware and HA running everything else.

When you say your using HA for everything else,  can you give me an example?  Zwave?

8 hours ago, Blackbird said:

Thanks guys.  I'm really interested in the Aqara mmw sensor.  It works with Home Assistant.  Was wondering if the mmw sensor can turn on insteon lights through the isy using HA?

Thanks

It looks like the Aqara FP1 is Zigbee.  You can certainly set up Zigbee on Home Assistant but there is a learning curve.  You'll be watching YouTube videos and reading forum posts for a while.

I am currently running:

• Universal Devices ISY/IOX Integration - very easy installation.  I linked to instructions above.
  • ZWaveJS2MQTT Integration - next step up on the learning curve.  I've been using the Zooz 700 series devices and USB controller.  Pretty decent support on the Zooz site.  ZWave_JS integration 
  • Zigbee2MQTT Integration - I found this setup difficult.  Using a Sonoff USB stick + Aqara Temperature sensors and Power monitoring devices.  Very cryptic setup of the Sonoff USB stick was probably complicated by the fact that the Stick and the Zigbee2MQTT integration were rather new when I was attempting it.  Things are a bit better now.  https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/guide/getting-started/

You will be able to use the Aqara sensor to trigger programs to turn on/off Insteon devices (individuals) or Scenes.  For either Z-Wave or Zigbee you will need enough devices to form a reliable mesh.  I can't tell you how many devices that will be. 

One additional consideration is the fact that Zigbee can interfere with Wi-Fi.  I spent a fair amount if time changing the channel of my USB stick (to channel 24) to find a less crowded range of operation.  I also moved most of my WIFI devices up to the 5GHz range.

As I'm writing this, I just realized that I have a Zooz motion sensor that is triggering an Insteon On/Off module.  Probably not to dissimilar to what you are visualizing with the presence detector.  The program itself is stupid simple.  It's the journey that can be interesting.

Zigbee Device network

image.thumb.png.a6487562eb1dc1eb4261a9cf78923898.png

Z-Wave Device Network

image.thumb.png.a1e81dd80a1cc41ae79a9d07fbaaac47.png

image.thumb.png.7e2959c7f69e313ae0f068791ec8800d.png

On 6/25/2024 at 8:56 PM, Blackbird said:

1.  Does home assistant control the isy or does the isy control home assistant?

2.  Once connected, can both home assistant and isy access everything the other can do?

Thanks

Through the use of the UDI ISY integration, homeassistant can control all of ISY on any UDI device. ISY cannot easily control functions of homeassistant however. There are convoluted work arounds, but you'll generally want to avoid this. I use some scene helpers in ISY to sync scene status, but it is a kluge. Also, while homeassistant can command all aspects of ISY programs, but, due to the one-way nature of the communication, it will not be aware of their true/false state or if they are enabled or not. I am currently using homeassistant as an informational/control interface on a wall mounted dashboard and mobile dashboard to great effect. 99% of my conditional logic runs on Polisy however. I have attached a screen shot of my wall dashboard as rendered on a computer monitor. It would appear slightly different on the wall tablet as it is customized for that interface, some header elements to the right size are not visible there.

Dashboard Screenshot.png

Edited by roblombardo

Exactly, Zwave, bluetooth, anything with wifi. Still not bought any zigbee but it's looking very tempting. Matter remains a mystery.

I'm pretty comfortable with the Polisy having used a 994 for years, with zwave. HA is taking it's time to become comfortable for me, in my opinion and that's not worth a lot. HA was/is something that's not designed for someone beginning home automation. In time it may become a starting point but the folks at UD have a better handle on beginners. I began home automation so long ago insteon was one of the best choices and it's still viable but it would be a difficult to recommend to someone beginning to add home automation.

Once you look into HA you begin to see how the future could look. But be prepared for a steep learning curve.