Polisy Failure?

Go to solution Solved by MexicanRadio,

I could use a little help. Recently, my Polisy Pro went off-line. We have spokens via Google set up, and our first clue was that they quit working. I've dealt with loss of connection a few times in the past, and it's always been resolved by a simple restart of the IOX. When doing so I keep an eye on connection status on the ISY console at my.isy.io.

On this occasion the result on the console was a series of error messages about PG3 not being authorized and failure to log in. Unfortunately, since I didn't expect a problem reconnecting, I did not capture the messages. I also discovered I had absolutely no connection to Insteon devices, PLM, or my.isy.io from Polisy, although it did respond to network pings.

Troubleshooting revealed:

• Polisy does NOT seem to be communicating with either my existing PLM or with a backup PLM. Both of which were verified to be communicating normally and capable of adding and operating devices when tested with my old ISY-994. It reports / Not Connected
  • Reloading Polisy from an image file after reformatting its drive resulted in re-establishing Internet connectivity and in Polisy upgrading to the current release. I cleared Java caches and got the latest JNLPs. I can reliably connect to Polisy locally, now. However, I can only intermittently connect to my.isy.io for a short period after a reboot of Polisy. Most attempts result in only a blank page at my.isy.io/index.htm.
  • Attempting to do anything with PG3 results in nothing but a black page saying Loading... and nothing further.
  • The serial cable between Polisy and the PLM seems to be good, I have continuity on the wired pins.
  • Rebooting Polisy appears to happen correctly, if I simply pull power and plug it back in, but I cannot perform any operation via the little front panel button.
  • Any attempt to recover via the replace PLM procedure seems to work, at first, and runs through the "Restore Devices" just fine. Then shows a message saying Reset PLM in the Administration Console's Event Viewer, at which point it starts looping through a System Busy display slowly reaching 100% over and over. Even left overnight it never again outputs a single message in the Event Viewer.

So... Polisy Pro failure? Something else? I'm out of troubleshooting ideas.

I might add that this same device suffered a power supply failure back on 6/11 with which Michel Kohanim kindly assisted me, but seemed to have performed just fine until last Friday at about 11PM. 

--Scott

Hi Techman,

Thanks for the response. Here's more detail:

Check all three boxes? No, because I'm on Fedora 40, not Windows. (Sorry, I forgot to mention that) There are some differences. :-) Easiest cache clear on Fedora is to just nuke the cache.

Yes, the new IOX Launcher was downloaded via start.jnlp

Yes, the Replace PLM procedure was followed. Noted in last bullet point in my original post.

I definitely appreciate the "sanity check"! It's always good to have someone else providing reminders. FYI, for what it's worth: my profile indicates "newbie" because I rarely post. But I've been using UDI ISY, then ISY994i, then Polisy since about 2012.

• 1 month later...
  • Solution

As a followup, in case it can help anyone else that runs into a similar issue:

It appears that the problem was with Polisy not talking to either of my serial PLMs. The PLM I was using when the problem first appeared was of the newer version, so I tried using an older (re-capped) PLM to see if the symptoms varied. They did not. Neither PLM would communicate with the Polisy.

So the next step was to check the cable from the PLM to Polisy. There's little that can go wrong with the serial cable, and the cable passed continuity checking on all connected pins.

Finally, I tried connecting each PLM to my old ISY-994, where each worked correctly.

So... it would seem that the Polisy serial connection for the PLMs had failed. There is a very slim chance that some oddness with the serial cable I used (and had been using for months) could have some kind of glitch that a simple continuity check wouldn't have detected.

I chose to replace the Polisy with Eisy, and also to purchase a new USB PLM. Everything now works.

Yes the Polisy section of the UDI Wiki shows it has serial port.

Polisy supports the following PLMs: 2412S and 2413S through the DB9 connector on the back.
2413U and 2448A7 through the USB port on the back. If you have a 2413S (serial), you will need our Serial PLM Kit.

My thought are if you want to use the 2413S on a USB port then the adapter is needed.

Since that model is supported. Opening a ticket may get more results.

https://www.universal-devices.com/contact-us/

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...