Programs and Alexa commands don’t work.

Go to solution Solved by Geddy,

Well one thing to think about.

There was a word wide wide IT outage early this morning.  I know for a time. There was or still is a FAA ground stop for all major airlines, some Microsoft Windows functions where not functioning, some banks where having issues and some Amazon functions also where not working.  Overseas where also having assorted issues.

Cloudstrike was mentioned. On the front page of the Frontier web page.

Could be completely different than this but could be a possibility.

Edited by Brian H
correct errors
  • Sad 1

All MS services are restored so is it working now?

Ironic that the security software did the same thing it is supposed to prevent isn't it.

I switched to UDI/Insteon/matter  because it was standalone and worked even if internet was down as long as I had power in the house.  So if your local commands aren't working, look at the log and see what it is getting.

Edited by CoolToys
more information after review
  • Like 1

Screenshot2024-07-19at12_26_34PM.png.be2b27313e6da87efa97241414c96382.png

I was getting this and then I rebooted the PLM and ISY and now I get this

Screenshot2024-07-19at12_52_47PM.png.d200b7b8893ebf156c2f8bd01d6e0aa2.png

The PLM Status says Not Connected 

(I apologize for the size of the screen grabs. They weren't that big on my computer)

PLM status is internal so nothing to do with MS/Crowdstrike outage.  That is the PLM not talking to your eisy.  

Those errors look like the eisy isn't communicating with the admin panel, so it might be worth opening a ticket.  

Did you upgrade to 5.8.4 yet?  What version are you on?  Sadly I am on my 5th PLM since switching to my first ISY.  I now keep a spare handy.

There is a wiki to reset the PLM and reload it but it might be better to backup your eisy, and do a factory reset/restore, upgrade to 5.8.4 and then reset the PLM

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:File_Menu#Replace_Modem_(PLM)

Restore PLM is a very long process.  You could try doing just that, a factory reset of the PLM and then restore but that will double the effort if you have to do it again after an eisy reset.

10 minutes ago, CoolToys said:

PLM status is internal so nothing to do with MS/Crowdstrike outage.  That is the PLM not talking to your eisy.  

Those errors look like the eisy isn't communicating with the admin panel, so it might be worth opening a ticket.  

Did you upgrade to 5.8.4 yet?  What version are you on?  Sadly I am on my 5th PLM since switching to my first ISY.  I now keep a spare handy.

There is a wiki to reset the PLM and reload it but it might be better to backup your eisy, and do a factory reset/restore, upgrade to 5.8.4 and then reset the PLM

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:File_Menu#Replace_Modem_(PLM)

Restore PLM is a very long process.  You could try doing just that, a factory reset of the PLM and then restore but that will double the effort if you have to do it again after an eisy reset.

I'm on 5.8.0

Should I try to Restore PLM? I think I've done it in the past and it wasn't too laborious.

• Solution

@andrew77 looks like something has possibly been corrupted. Since you were on 5.8.0 firmware it's not like you ran an update recently so it likely wouldn't be a failed update. I somewhat agree with @CoolToys that you should bring the system up to date by running the update process. Be sure to allow a lot of time for the update to run. There have been several IoX and PG3x updates that you're probably missing (since 5.8.0 was released in January). Don't pull the power on the eisy until you've run the updates and rebooted and attempted a good log-in with admin console.

Be sure you clear java cache (checking all three boxes) when you run the firmware update. Otherwise, use the "Cloud" so you don't get an error about Firmware/UI mismatch. 

Is you're still having issues perform a full power shutdown (following the wiki for multi-function button presses). Once the eisy is powered down unplug it, then unplug the PLM. Then plug the PLM back in and after 10-20 seconds plug the eisy back in (I think the light should be steady on the PLM before you plugin the eisy). Allow some time for it to fully boot (60-90 seconds - to be safe - maybe longer if you're running a lot of plugins) before trying to open admin console again. 

If you're still getting the EXACT same errors then open a ticket with UD to get help directly. 

https://www.universal-devices.com/my-tickets

5 hours ago, andrew77 said:

I'm not sure where the three check boxes are or how to clear the cache

image.png

What computer OS are you running? On Windows go to configure Java (use the search function from the “start” menu) then delete temp files. Clearing the Java cache is key and has been forever! So shouldn’t be the first time you’ve done it, but if you don’t keep you systems updated it’s possible you don’t recall the steps.

5 hours ago, andrew77 said:

I'm not sure where to download that

Go to UD website and click on “My ISY” near the top right of the homepage. It should download start.jnlp (note…if you have existing start.jnlp or admin.jnlp files on your computer please DELETE them before you download a new file! Just makes things simple and clean!)

Lastly….all this is covered in this post:

I run a Mac. When I clicked on the update I see nothing like that. I knew the update was done because it popped up on my phone from the app, not from my computer. 
how do I clear the cache on the Mac?

Posted (edited)
On 7/19/2024 at 11:52 PM, Geddy said:

image.png

What computer OS are you running?

Mac Sonoma 14.5 I've cleared my java cache as above

On 7/19/2024 at 11:52 PM, Geddy said:

Go to UD website and click on “My ISY” near the top right of the homepage. It should download start.jnlp (note…if you have existing start.jnlp or admin.jnlp files on your computer please DELETE them before you download a new file! Just makes things simple and clean!)

I've done this

When I click it it says 5.8.4 so I'm assuming that's correct

When I click on a device in the GUI I get these warnings

Screenshot2024-07-21at11_26_49AM.png.a8c89ef801bcd39a3a81632b353004d5.png

Screenshot2024-07-19at6_43_14PM.png.68ad50858ff0c328a8dbb1cce8811182.png

I just upgraded to the EISY in March and bought a 2413U then.

Edited by andrew77
32 minutes ago, Geddy said:

@andrew77 best bet would be to open a support ticket with UD. 

Sorry I can't help on the macOS side as I don't run that and don't have access to anybody running it. I'm 100% Windows. Seems like macOS throws curveballs now and then with the Java process. 

Thank you as always (Geddy and everyone else)

I'll open a ticket.

19 hours ago, Geddy said:

@andrew77 best bet would be to open a support ticket with UD. 

Sorry I can't help on the macOS side as I don't run that and don't have access to anybody running it. I'm 100% Windows. Seems like macOS throws curveballs now and then with the Java process. 

Problem solved. Back up and running. I said it to Michel in the ticket and I'll say it here. Great product with great after sales service.

58 minutes ago, Geddy said:

@andrew77 glad you’re up and running. What was the actual fix so we know and it might help others if they have similar issues?

Unplug the PLM, wait for a minute 

then hold the power button on the EISY until it turned red. Then release and press again.

It'll turn blue and reboot. 

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

I'm having the same issues again. 

I've tried the solution above but it doesn't seem to work.

I've contacted Aartech and they've said theres a 2 year warranty on the 2314U but they want to troubleshoot first.

I'm not sure what more I can do.

Is there anything else I can try? 

Is there a way I can definitely make sure the PLM is failing? Its only 6 months old.

In many cases a failing PLM will act the way it does because the link table data is bad. What the ISY does is keep the master copy of links in a file as you add devices and scenes. Sometimes when PLMs fail the links table in the PLM becomes corrupt and/or incomplete.

This is a link to an older manual, but the procedure is the same. Go to page 60 to 3.10.3 and forward and follow those steps. This type of failure usually comes with older PLMs, but its a place to start and something to eliminate as a cause.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, andrew77 said:

Is there a way I can definitely make sure the PLM is failing? Its only 6 months old.

What's the date code on the PLM? Should be a sticker on the backside. It's uncommon for "current" product PLM to fail, but it's not impossible for them to fail for any number of reasons. 

Either open a support ticket with UD and see if they can help you with further troubleshooting steps to see if the PLM is bad or not. Or perhaps Aartech has a way to troubleshoot since you've already talked with them. 

As @paulbates suggests it does sort of sound like a bad PLM if you've had multiple issues with it going back over a month ago. 

I guess my real question is your original post said "Programs and Alexa commands don’t work". Now that you're back and "it's happening again", what really is happening THIS time? 

I just wanted to reply and say what helped my issue.

I'm back up and running after opening a ticket.

I rebooted and everything is back.

Last time I did this I unplugged both PLM and EISY, plugged in PLM, waited, etc but I must have screwed that up.

(yes that hurts to admit)

but one thing I don't have anymore is my desktop shortcut.

I have this icon I have to click on in my downloads folder

Screenshot2024-09-03at11_30_20AM.png.549394cb3b5f4c6ec8db7efcb9a08f29.png

Anyway to get the shortcut back?