Notification Email failures at ISP

Does anyone else have problems sending notification messages via certain certain ISPs?

I get the following error from tmomail.net (my smartphone provider) when I send a text message via SMTP to my phone:

Your message to xxxxxxxxxx@tmomail.net couldn't be delivered.
Your message contains invalid characters (bare line feed characters) which the email servers at tmomail.net don't support.
kgmccoy Office 365 xxxxxxxxxx
Action Required   Recipient

Bare line feeds unsupported  

I tried adding additional blank lines to the bottom of each notification message, but that did not help.

Maybe EISY is sending LF instead of CRLF for blank lines?  Maybe EISY needs to send CRLF instead of LF for every line-end?

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, skydvrz said:

Does anyone else have problems sending notification messages via certain certain ISPs?

I get the following error from tmomail.net (my smartphone provider) when I send a text message via SMTP to my phone:

Your message to xxxxxxxxxx@tmomail.net couldn't be delivered.
Your message contains invalid characters (bare line feed characters) which the email servers at tmomail.net don't support.
kgmccoy Office 365 xxxxxxxxxx
Action Required   Recipient

Bare line feeds unsupported  

I tried adding additional blank lines to the bottom of each notification message, but that did not help.

Maybe EISY is sending LF instead of CRLF for blank lines?  Maybe EISY needs to send CRLF instead of LF for every line-end?

Stopped sending notifications via email long time ago because of failures and delays in sending.

Been using the Notification and Pushover plugins and haven't missed a notification. The combination together offers many advantages over using the older native methods.

The fix for this is probably a couple lines of code in the EISY firmware. 

I'd prefer a fix that does not rely on plugins that may not be compatible with future EISY updates... But I will keep your idea in mind if no EISY patch is forthcoming.  I need my SMS-via-SMTP notifications!

The EISY SMTP code is a lot better than the old ISY code - at least EISY can navigate modern SMTP security where the ISY died of that years ago.

19 minutes ago, skydvrz said:

The fix for this is probably a couple lines of code in the EISY firmware. 

I'd prefer a fix that does not rely on plugins that may not be compatible with future EISY updates... But I will keep your idea in mind if no EISY patch is forthcoming.  I need my SMS-via-SMTP notifications!

The EISY SMTP code is a lot better than the old ISY code - at least EISY can navigate modern SMTP security where the ISY died of that years ago.

I highly doubt there will be any "fix" forthcoming for built in SMTP notifications.

US has stated their future is centered around plugins and UD Mobile, and has committed full support to plugins.

Writing this, I also remembered there is some limited basic notification ability built in to UD Mobile utilizing a free version of the Notification plugin. You might want to check that out.

https://www.universal-devices.com/notifications/

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Techman said:

@skydvrz

I had issues with the Earthlink ISP. Are you sending messages in HTML or TEXT format?

There is no HTML in my message bodies;  I don't think EISY adds any to the text.

The reason for failure was pretty clear - the ISP doesn't like text body lines terminated using Unix/Linux style (or maybe Mac) style line endings.

10 hours ago, skydvrz said:

Many of the telcoms now block/delay/limit sms from email, so in my opinion another option should be used if you want notifications in a timely manner.

The Notification Plugin uses the open API for the UD Mobile Notification Server (ISY Portal). There are instructions on our wiki showing how to send notifications using Network Resources, however the Notification Node Server Setup and Program configuration will be much easier and use the existing Notification Customizations (the same as email).

• Like 1