help with program....

many know i have chickens...and yes.. their environment is partly controlled by my Polisy.

what i want to do is this...control a fan to come on at a certain temperature and humidity.

i am using a variable right now that sets to 1 for temperature on and sets to 2 for humidity on.

anything over zero turns fan on...

its not very reliable. any ideas? 

how to turn a fan off and on via 2 separate inputs?

thanks!

Can't you just use both temperature AND humidity in the if statement?

if humidity is > x

AND

if temperature is > x

then turn fan on

The program should check the logic in the 'if' even if only one of the pieces has changed value, then if both statements are true, it will execute 'then'.

@gregkinney, respectfully, he will run into a situation where the program will execute the Then/Else with every miniscule change in either temp or humidity. 

Personally, I do the same thing the OP is doing with variables. Yes, each program changing a variable will run Then/Else with every change in temp. and humid. but its loading effect on the IoX is small and at least its not flooding the powerlines with constant on/off commands (if he is controlling an Insteon switch or whatever). Plus, it has the added benefit of being able to add some hysteresis to the mix.

@EWhite, can you post your programs so that we can see what is going on? 

Also, so I am clear, you want the fan to run if either the temp or humidity is above your threshold, otherwise if both are below the threshold, turn the fan off?

And lastly, what is not very reliable, or what are you seeing during the course of operation that is not desirable? 

-Tim

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

yes.. i want fan on when it hits either threshold.

yes.. i will try to post all parts of the program.

the reliable part is...for some reason..its turning fan of and on every few seconds, and also...if i manually over ride it, the variable keeps setting to 0(which is shut off fan)

variable is just a state

Chicken Humidity Set - [ID 0047][Parent 0015]

If
        $coop_hum > 65
    And $coop_hum > $outside_hum
    And 'Whitehouse / main' Temperature > 40.0°F

Then
        $chicken_coop  = 2

Else
        Run Program 'Chicken Init Var' (If)

Chicken Temperature Set - [ID 004C][Parent 0015]

If
        'MQTT / ChickCoop1' Temperature > 85.00°F
    And 'MQTT / ChickCoop1' Temperature < 120.00°F

Then
        $chicken_coop  = 1

Else
        Run Program 'Chicken Init Var' (If)

Chicken Fan Control - [ID 0046][Parent 0045]

If
        $chicken_coop > 0

Then
        Set 'MQTT / ChickCoop3' On

Else
        Set 'MQTT / ChickCoop3' Off

Chicken Init Var - [ID 004F][Parent 0045][Not Enabled]

If
        $chicken_coop >= 2

Then
        Wait  5 minutes and 30 seconds
        $chicken_coop  = 1

Else
        $chicken_coop  = 0

Edited by EWhite

@TJF1960 @EWhite Wouldn't it be much simpler to do it without the variables, and just limit the amount of times the program can run? It looks like there is some logic above based on 5 minutes and 30 seconds, so what if it was:

if

humidity is > x

AND

temperature is > x

then

turn fan on

wait 5 minutes and 30 seconds

else

turn fan off

wait 5 minutes and 30 seconds

with that.. it would only work if both temp and humidity are both above threshhold.

i want fan on independent of those...plus.. as stated above, each change would trigger program.

i did find one issue...in the humidity program.

right now my coop humidity is lower than outside humidity.. so it is running the init var program, which is resetting the var to 0....now how to figure that out.. it might fix the whole thing...

PROGRAM 1

If
        $coop_hum > 65
    And Fan is Off

Then

Else

PROGRAM 2

If
    And Fan is Off

Then

Else

PROGRAM 3

If
	 Fan is On
    And 'MQTT / ChickCoop1' Temperature < 85.00°F
    And $coop_hum < 65

Then

Else

@gregkinney, I am not sure if when you posted the programs, if something happened and it got corrupted or something.

Having a wait with nothing after it does nothing. Besides that, anytime you have a wait, it will stop and start over anytime the program reevaluates. Like if the temp or humidity values change, even by a decimal point, the program will reevaluate, the fan may never turn off, or on, depending. That is the beauty of using a simple state variable. A program can set a variable to 1 multiple times but a program monitoring the variable will run when the variable changes.

@EWhite, did you figure out your program or could you use a little help. If you need help, post them again, including any changes you made.

-Tim

@TJF1960 I understood wait was like when I write a sleep function in python...it would literally keep the program in the current state until the time passed. Thank you for educating me otherwise. I've got a few programs to go re-write and a lot to learn. @EWhite I'm sorry to have hijacked your post with my ignorance. I hope you get it figured out.

no problem @gregkinney, we are all still learning.. hehe

@TJF1960 I have NOT changed anything...i thot I had an idea.. but then i talked  myself out of it...

my brain is not doing logic well as of late.

so.. yes.. i do need help as it is still setting my var to 0 but i cant find the error in programming thats doing it...

@gregkinney, I wish I could trade knowledge with you, I have been banging my head against a brick wall trying to hack some python code together for a node server, lol.

@EWhite, my brain is a bit foggy as well, its been a long week but let me give it a go.

If
        $coop_hum > 65
    And $chicken coop  = 0 
Then
        $chicken_coop  = 2

Else

Chicken Temperature Set - [ID 004C][Parent 0015]

If
    And $chicken coop = 0
Then
        $chicken_coop  = 1

Else

If
        $chicken_coop >= 1

Then

Else
Chicken Init Var - [ID 004F][Parent 0045][Not Enabled]

If
        $chicken_coop = 2

Then
        $chicken_coop  = 0

Else

So, in looking over your programs, I think I understand what you want.

It looks to me like if the temp is within range you want the fan to turn on until the temp is out of range.

If its too humid, you want the fan to turn on for 5:30 then back off.

I kept your same programs, just changed the logic a little bit. 

The first program sets the var to 2 which turns on program 3 to turn the fan on and at the same time turns on program 4 timing it, at the end of 5:30 the fan will turn off. 

The second program, when temp is in range, will turn on program 3 only, once program 2 turns false, the fans will turn off.

I may have missed something so try at your own risk, but in my hazy state tonight from the long week, I think it should do what you want.

-Tim

@EWhite, in thinking about it further, if the fan was turned on and you, for whatever reason, rebooted IoX, the variable after IoX came back up would be at 0, the fan could run forever. Simply mark program 3 to run at startup. That way once IoX reboots the program will run else if the variable is 0 and turn the fan off.

Another option would be to use this program for the on function only. Write another program using slightly different temperature and humidity settings to turn the fan off. For example a temperature difference of 2 degrees and/or humidity difference of 1% - use whatever numbers you want.

15 hours ago, TJF1960 said:

the variable after IoX came back up would be at 0,

Not necessarily, you can also set the int variable, which will carry over to the next reboot. When you turn the fan off, remember to set both variables back to 0.

Check the ISY Cookbook examples for specifics.

• Like 1

ok.. been running this new set for a few days now....fan never shuts off even tho both temp and humidity are below threshold.

the 5minute 30sec thing was just me trying to get the program not to cycle so much...so not needed if the program was right.

also.. just to clarify: i want fan on when temp is above threshold and/or when humidity is above threshold.

one problem i had previous was one would shut fan off even when the other was above threshold. thats what got me started on the variable, was to try and get them to work together and not against each other.

@EWhite, giving it some thought, I think you can simplify since you don't need the 5:30 wait.

Try this at your own risk, I think this will work.

Chicken Temp/Humid Set
If
 Or(
    And $coop_hum > 65
   )

Or(
    And 'MQTT / ChickCoop1' Temperature > 85.00°F
   )

Then
        $chicken_coop  = 1

Else
        $chicken_coop  = 0

Pgm 2:

If
        $chicken_coop = 1

Then
        Wait 1 minute

Else
       Wait 5 Minute

Wait times = to account for hysteresis of temp and humidity.
Enable run at startup for program "Chicken Fan Control"

• 2 weeks later...

well ... thanks for the help on all this.. i took advice and combined what i had with new ideas and come up with this:

added new variables, one each for temp and humid. this seems to make more sense and so far it works..

please critique and point out flaws if any.

Thanks!

Chicken Humidity Set - [ID 0047][Parent 0045]

If
        $coop_hum > 65

Then
        $coop_humid_var  = 1

Else
        $coop_humid_var  = 0

Chicken Temperature Set - [ID 004C][Parent 0045]

If
        'MQTT / ChickCoop1' Temperature >= 85.00°F

Then
        $coop_temp_var  = 1

Else
        $coop_temp_var  = 0

Chicken Fan Control - [ID 0046][Parent 0045][Run At Startup]

If
        $coop_humid_var is 1
     Or $coop_temp_var is 1

Then

Else

as you can see... i simplified it way down from what i had originally. so far it seems to be working as expected.