SMTP stopped working

paulw
Go to solution Solved by Geddy,

I have had my SMTP setting set to default which has been working fine.  Just discovered today with a water leak issue my notifications were not working.  Test showing "Mail server failure". I tried setting it up to my gmail account only to get errors on that.

Any advice on resolving the issue?

Thanks, but that did not work for me. I get the same error when using default or gmail.  Please see the error and my gmail info.  My google account has 2 factor identification, I turned that off and get the same results. Also tried it with and without "from".

ServerError.jpg

Gmail.jpg

@paulw

Verify that you're connected to the internet. Try accessing the admin console via the cloud to verify that you're connected.

I believe the from field needs to be populated

The from field format should be:  ISY:(your email)@gmail.com

• Solution
38 minutes ago, paulw said:

My google account has 2 factor identification, I turned that off and get the same results

Seems like you didn’t follow the setup instructions that were in the link @Techman supplied. Gmail has required that an app password is set now. Gmail doesn’t allow insecure passwords (I didn’t even think it was possible to turn 2FA off now, but I haven’t wanted to try). 

Be sure you follow these steps: 

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/ISY994:Configure_Mail_Server_Settings#Configuring_(unique)_App_Password

I’m not entirely sure if you need a from, but doesn’t hurt to be sure it’s included. Just pay attention to the formatting (again…as described in the wiki). 

Lastly, if you’re trying to send a test make sure you click on a recipient for the test to go to. If you have more than one it doesn’t know where to send the test and might cause a failure. 

Using Gmail server (if setup properly) does work. That’s what I’ve used from day one. I don’t use many alerts, but know it worked as of the last 3 days. 

2 hours ago, Geddy said:

Seems like you didn’t follow the setup instructions that were in the link @Techman supplied.

And how right you are!!!  Skipped over the account setup paragraph. Thanks to both you and Techman for your help. Default had been working for me until recently when a leak detector should have reported.  All is now working fine. 🙂

• Like 1

@paulw glad it's working. While I don't suggest going back to the default server I just tested it with my old ISY994 running 5.3.4 and the default server worked fine sending a test. It's possible that it had a momentary outage. Ultimately, glad the Gmail server setup works for you. Most have suggested using an ISY specific account for that. Just make sure you log into that account from time to time as Google is actively closing inactive accounts. I've always been one to try to use the Gmail method so not to rely on UD "default" setup since I know so many others do that don't want to risk a flood of notifications potentially causing delays for my own notifications or damaging the reputation of the UD server that it would suddenly be considered "spam/junk" and not get delivered as expected. 

That's why many have changed to the Notification plugin for the eisy (and Polisy).