Motion Sensor II

johnjces

Well, Thanks all your testing your MS II devices guys.

Unfortunately, it seems I got stuck with three buggy MS II versions that don't perform as well as the 12 older MS I's I have , except for not requiring batteries every 8-13 months.
Last night I retested my other two MS II units and they perform the same style with a blind time after on timeout. I should attempt a workaround for "send On and Off" as it appears to eliminate this blind time.

AFAIK, the side parameters will never function properly and those values are only for internal compensations. The temperature register only appears to have a resolution of 2-4 degrees and wouldn't be useful for any HVAC style logic. This is based on the inability for ISY to set anything finer than this resolution. I think UDI in it's successful hacking exposed things that were never intended to be exposed outside the device.

When it's plugged in to an iPhone block charger, connected to light switches with a scene and backstopped with an iox program, it's working very well for me as an MS

Edited by paulbates

@Hoosier Daddy, I should clarify that I am using the ZWave and Zigbee sensors on Home Assistant.  I am still running the ISY994 for Insteon.

The Human Presence Sensor is from AliExpress - Tuya ZG-204ZM.  I purchased 2 of them. 

They added to HA easily and have a number of controls for "Tuning" the motion and mmWave sensor.  I have one in my office which works very well.  The second sensor is in our Family Room (16 x 18).  I am still tuning this one.  The room presents a number of challenges with large windows, TV, Sound system, and obstacles. 

The challenge is to be able to detect my wife sleeping on the couch (under a cover) and not falsely detect the TV/Sound system when we're out of the room.  It's close, but not quite there yet.

My only real complaint is that these devices are "chatty" (as are most things Tuya).  When there is motion, the sensors let you know CONSTANTLY.  It would be easy to overload a Zigbee router if you had a number of these.  I probably wouldn't purchase more for that reason.

Here's a review from the SmartHomeScene: https://smarthomescene.com/reviews/zigbee-battery-powered-presence-sensor-zg-204zm-review/

I will say that my sensor has a couple more "tuning" controls than shown in the review.  

image.thumb.png.b833886d7c8145cc58df9da78ae538b6.png

image.png.635ef2d87c1f67c114668cca47f69d74.png

image.thumb.png.1592a90f1b9fb11e008ac9c95e4b67cd.png

Thanks @IndyMike for all the information. I'm holding out hope that Eisy will eventually work with some reliable presence sensors. I purchased an rPi kit from HA a few years ago back when Insteon was on the ropes but never took the plunge and set it up. Tried using Zwave switches with Polisy, but it was not a good experience and when Insteon came back online I stocked up on replacements and tossed the zwave stuff except for some sensors which work fine. Even though Eisy supports zigbee, it won't talk to this sensor?

On 8/29/2024 at 4:08 PM, Hoosier Daddy said:

Thanks @IndyMike for all the information. I'm holding out hope that Eisy will eventually work with some reliable presence sensors. I purchased an rPi kit from HA a few years ago back when Insteon was on the ropes but never took the plunge and set it up. Tried using Zwave switches with Polisy, but it was not a good experience and when Insteon came back online I stocked up on replacements and tossed the zwave stuff except for some sensors which work fine. Even though Eisy supports zigbee, it won't talk to this sensor?

If you were using 500 Series Z-wave devices I am not surprised that you were displeased.  Like you, I was looking hard as Smartlabs began it's freefall.  I wound up using Zooz 700 series Z-wave switches.  Much improved.  They are now my go to for switches/dimmers.  One of the huge plusses is that you can mix a single switch/dimmer in a N-way installation with MANUAL switches.  Huge $ savings.

As far as the EISY supporting the Zigbee Presence Sensor - really don't know.  I do not have the EISY to test and I would think that UDI would being by supporting the more mainstream devices first.  I decided to test drive these because they were battery powered (most are USB).  They work well enough, but generate a lot of traffic.  Haven't had them long enough to assess battery life.  Battery life is normally the strong suit of Zigbee devices.  I've had some temperature sensors operating outdoors (wide temperature swings) and in my freezers (-15F) for over a year.