How do you get wake on lan to work on a eISY?

Go to solution Solved by DennisC,

I recently purchased an eISY to replace my ISY-994 which is much faster and easier to work with.

I would recommend allow the eISY to take Insteon addresses without a "." like FE3476.  This is how I saved a list of devices and it is very annoying when I forget the dot and have to type the address all over again.  Other than that I was able to get about 50 insteon devices to work again.

I am trying to do Wake on Lan to wake up a PC when I turn on a Insteon switch.

I went to Configuration -> Networking -> Wake On LAN

Typed in the MAC Address.

I tried the Test button which didn't work.

I created a program to send a Wake on LAN if the Switch is switched On and Status is Off, but it doesn't work.

I tried to Run Then on program and it still didn't work.

I installed the Wake on LAN plugin and went to Plugin Configuration but I don't know what the User ID/Password/Base URL and Host Name should be.

I downloaded an app on my tablet with the same mac address and it works.

I looked in the Wiki and the Forums but didn't see any additional information.

Oh, and do you know when the ZMatter usb dongle is going to be available?  Or some other Zigbee and ZWave Dongle?  I would like to get new devices but feel Insteon is being replaced.

Read here:

My guess is the the plugin needs to login into the eISY, so use that login info. Here's the developer notes on the parameters for each host you want to WOL

Custom Parameters":

Key = Host Name Value = Mac Address (xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) / IP Address

For example: MyComputer = 10:0c:b9:8e:3a:24/192.168.1.12

Edited by paulbates
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Joshhall said:

I installed the Wake on LAN plugin and went to Plugin Configuration but I don't know what the User ID/Password/Base URL and Host Name should be.

Where are you seeing this?

As @paulbates indicates above, the Configuration page asks for your computers mac address and its IP address.

It is pretty simple to set up and works fine IF you have your computer completely setup to accept it. If you are using a Win 10/11 machine there are several hoops to jump through to insure the plugin will WoL successfully, but it does work. 

There maybe a few more steps if you are using a Realtek NIC card. I have 2 Win 11 computers using this plugin now.

• Like 1

1. It says that the Configuration -> Networking -> Wake On LAN page is not used at all and is no longer supported on eISY?

2. After looking at the information, I don't think we are talking about the same thing.

I select Plugins -> Wake-On-LAN -> Add Node -> Wake-On-LAN:

A window pops up:

I See Name, Node Address and Primary Node Address.  I don't see a Key anywhere.

What do I type in for the fields?

3. This is a new eISY and I have not setup anything specific for the PolyGlot V3.

Do I need to change any settings on Plugin -> Configure?

Wake-On-LAN-Add-Node.PNG

3 minutes ago, Joshhall said:

1. It says that the Configuration -> Networking -> Wake On LAN page is not used at all and is no longer supported on eISY?

2. After looking at the information, I don't think we are talking about the same thing.

I select Plugins -> Wake-On-LAN -> Add Node -> Wake-On-LAN:

A window pops up:

I See Name, Node Address and Primary Node Address.  I don't see a Key anywhere.

What do I type in for the fields?

3. This is a new eISY and I have not setup anything specific for the PolyGlot V3.

Do I need to change any settings on Plugin -> Configure?

Wake-On-LAN-Add-Node.PNG

Plugins are managed from PG3x. 

You need to go to xxx xxx x.xxx:3000. Replace x with your eisy IP address.

Read through the instructions here:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Eisy:User_Guide

After you have Polyglot setup per the instructions, you can go to the Plugin store and install numerous plugins. 

Some carry a small fee, but WoL is free.

8 minutes ago, Joshhall said:

I saw that before and was able to login to Polyglot 3.x.

I click Dashboard -> Wake-On-LAN(1) -> Nodes(0)

It shows Nodes 0

How do I add a node?

It is all explained in the link I posted above, specifically here:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Eisy:User_Guide#ISYs

After you add the plugin (formerly node server) to your system from the store, go to the Dashboard within Polyglot. Click on the plugin WoL - Configuration tab and follow the instructions shown and copied below.

Under Key, give your system a name and for the value add the mac address: ip address according to the sample.

After saving the configuration data, if you had the admin console open, you will need to close it and re-open it before you see the node added.

The top menu of Polyglot has a tab for Plugin Store. After clicking on the plugin you want, you need to install it in an available slot.

Configuration

Custom Parameters:

Key = Host Name Value = Mac Address (xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) / IP Address

For example: MyComputer = 10:0c:b9:8e:3a:24/192.168.1.12

• Like 1

I was able to add the key but how do I trigger it?

I setup a program and selected Run Then to trigger the Wake On LAN 'Living PC', but it is still not working.

I didn't see any instructions on how a program interacts with Polyglot.

5 minutes ago, Joshhall said:

I was able to add the key but how do I trigger it?

Any way you want: Admin Console, UD Mobile, Program, or Network Resource.

6 minutes ago, Joshhall said:

I setup a program and selected Run Then to trigger the Wake On LAN 'Living PC', but it is still not working.

If you have your PC configured correctly, and I am you followed ALL of the steps to enable WoL, it should work. If not, you missed something on your PC. See test below.

7 minutes ago, Joshhall said:

I didn't see any instructions on how a program interacts with Polyglot.

Not sure what you are looking for, but here is an example of a program used to trigger a Network Resource to trigger WoL:

Sample WoL - [ID 00B0][Parent 00A5]

If
        From     7:30:00AM
        To       9:00:00PM (same day)

Then
        Wait  30 seconds
        Set 'DH-Monitor' Send WOL

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Test

To verify you are triggering WoL correctly, open PG3x ,go to WoL from the Dashboard and select Details from the menu. 

Select Log and then Debug from the dropdown.

Next open the admin console and go to Main - ISY - and select the node name you used when you set up PG3x. At the bottom of the right hand screen, you will see "Send WOL". 

Back in PG3x, you should see a message indicating the WoL was sent. If you don't see that, then you haven't set up the plugin correctly.

If you see that the WoL was sent, and your computer didn't wake up, then you don't have your computer completely set up.

There are some apps that are able to send WoL when the computer is not completely set up - not sure how and why, but I experienced this when getting mine set up.

As I stated in my 1st message, your computer must be completely setup for WoL from the plugin to work. My experience was with Windows 11 and there are numerous settings in Windows, the Registry (depending on NIC brand), and bios that must be configured.

Realtek NIC can be especially difficult.

You are still in the wrong location. 

Did you successfully add the plugin to PG3x?

Did you set up the configuration tab in PG3x?

Did you close the admin console and then re-start it?

Did you look for the name of your node in the left hand tree of the device page in the admin console?

If it is not there, 1st try restarting the plugin from PG3x plugin menu. If that doesn't work, then re-install the plugin in to the same slot.

Instructions for all of this is in the link I provided above.

If you still can not find it, post a screenshot of your admin console device left side tree, along with the name of your node.

• Like 1

I reset several things and am now able to see the device.

I press the test button and see:
2024-08-25 14:35:35.050 Command    udi_interface.interface DEBUG    interface:_handleInput: PROCESS command message {'address': '12345678', 'cmd': 'WOL', 'query': {}} from Polyglot
2024-08-25 14:35:35.050 Command    udi_interface      INFO     wol:wakeOnLan: Sending magic WOL packet to 12:34:56:78:90 (Living PC)

But with the correct MAC Address.

But the computer still does not turn on.

I press the test button in a Wake on LAN App on my tablet and the computer boots.

I believe the PC is set up correctly and the log shows that it sent Wake On LAN.

Is there anything else I need to set?

• Solution

What brand Network card is in the computer you are trying to wake up?

One thing you can try is to modify your IP address on the configuration tab. Instead of Mac address:XXX.xxx.x.xxx where the DC's are your IP address, try:

Mac address:XXX.xxx.x.255

• Like 1