No way to detect/trigger on scene events in IoX?

Go to solution Solved by Guy Lavoie,

22 hours ago, larryllix said:

It may have been slow to come (as most UDI improvements) but the pseudodevice was an improvement made by UDI after much discussion over the years. Perhaps they just don't brag enough when they produce updates?

However, it still doesn't solve all the scene monitoring possibilities that I can foresee. Now you have me interested to experiment with the technique (now that I am aware of it). I do not use many Insteon Scenes anymore, now that my lighting is almost all WiFi, ISY programs, and three MS IIs with buggy firmware in them.

@larryllix,

I was unaware (or forgot) about the psudodevice using the Alexa interface.  It appears that similar triggers can be accomplished by publishing variables through the portal. 

Not my cup of tea.  I understand that this is my issue.

I started with the ISY26 in the way back because it was a local solution to home automation.  I've managed to stick with that for most of my ISY994 and Home assistant implementation.    Not willing to go to the Dark Side (pun intended) of internet automation.

As stated earlier, I have a very different view of scene status.  I wan to know if ANY device in a scene (bsmt, 1st floor, 2nd floor, outside) is on so I can display it on a keypad and turn All Scene Members off.

My thing - but that's what home automation is, right?

5 hours ago, IndyMike said:

@larryllix,

I was unaware (or forgot) about the psudodevice using the Alexa interface.  It appears that similar triggers can be accomplished by publishing variables through the portal. 

Not my cup of tea.  I understand that this is my issue.

I started with the ISY26 in the way back because it was a local solution to home automation.  I've managed to stick with that for most of my ISY994 and Home assistant implementation.    Not willing to go to the Dark Side (pun intended) of internet automation.

As stated earlier, I have a very different view of scene status.  I wan to know if ANY device in a scene (bsmt, 1st floor, 2nd floor, outside) is on so I can display it on a keypad and turn All Scene Members off.

My thing - but that's what home automation is, right?

I don't consider a state variable used for conversion into a pseudodevice as useful in an Insteon Scene. I find no way to incorporate these variables, or the pseudodevices the ISY Portal converts them into, even seen inside ISY at this point. Maybe I missed something there?

However, it was mentioned about the Virtual device PG3 node server, that appears to be able to perform as a pseudodevices inside ISY, can be inserted into an Insteon Scene,  and has intrigued me.

I have installed the Virtual node server into my PG3 and it shows up inside ISY via IoX, but I cannot get it to perform anything except read one parameter that is permanently set to "True".
I can drop it into an Insteon Scene and it appears as a valid device but never changes to show anything except "True", whatever parameter that is supposed to represent.

Edited by larryllix
1 hour ago, larryllix said:

I have installed the Virtual node server into my PG3 and it shows up inside ISY via IoX, but I cannot get it to perform anything except read one parameter that is permanently set to "True".
I can drop it into an Insteon Scene and it appears as a valid device but never changes to show anything except "True", whatever parameter that is supposed to represent.

When you defined the virtual device(s) (key and value) in the custom configuration parameters, what did you enter as a value? I used "switch".

10 hours ago, larryllix said:

I saw no definitions or instructions to add any keys or values to it. That may be the problem??

Go into Polyglot, select the Virtual plugin, then click on "Configuration". Scroll to the bottom, where you can enter parameters. I used the example given, entering "78" for the key, and "switch" for the value. You can create several (click on "add custom parameter"). Save changes and you're done. As explained in the instructions at the top, you might need to log out of the admin console and then back in to see the new virtual devices.

virtual.jpg

44 minutes ago, Guy Lavoie said:

Go into Polyglot, select the Virtual plugin, then click on "Configuration". Scroll to the bottom, where you can enter parameters. I used the example given, entering "78" for the key, and "switch" for the value. You can create several (click on "add custom parameter"). Save changes and you're done. As explained in the instructions at the top, you might need to log out of the admin console and then back in to see the new virtual devices.

virtual.jpg

Yeah I got it working eventually.

However, that technique does not indicate the status of a scene. It only indicates the last scene command scene command sent out from ISY for the scene it is embedded into.

Changing any component device inside the scene via another scene command or device control does not affect it's status despite the scene's resultant statuses not being true anymore.

Again, people are attempting to assign a status to a trigger signal. It isn't really possible as they are different types of Insteon elements and not relatable to each other.

Well as discussed by myself and others, scene "status" is a bit of a fuzzy thing. A scene is a macro command, setting one or more devices to a list of preprogrammed conditions. Nothing prevents these devices from then being individually controlled after that. UD mobile has an interesting take on scenes, displaying the "level" of a scene based on the percentage of how many of the devices are on. If you really want to track the individual devices, then you can always do it with a program, as some have been doing. But I think that for most of us, we see scenes as control events, not statuses.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Guy Lavoie said:

Well as discussed by myself and others, scene "status" is a bit of a fuzzy thing. A scene is a macro command, setting one or more devices to a list of preprogrammed conditions. Nothing prevents these devices from then being individually controlled after that. UD mobile has an interesting take on scenes, displaying the "level" of a scene based on the percentage of how many of the devices are on. If you really want to track the individual devices, then you can always do it with a program, as some have been doing. But I think that for most of us, we see scenes as control events, not statuses.

Agreed. See you again in another years when somebody raises the need again. :) :) :)

• Haha 2