Please help: trying to get I/OLinc to control my stereo

someguy

I have an amplifier that powers speakers throughout my house. It has an option to be able to turn it on with 3 to 30 V of DC.

This seems perfect for the I/OLinc using the 5 Volt output. I've tried connecting the 5V to one wire and the N/O to the other wire and then bridging (connecting) the ground to the common. With it connected in this fashion, the IOLinc outputs 5 Volts when my ISY turns it on and nothing when off. Should work, right?

well, when I connect it to the stereo, it doesn't work. When I turn it on, it must overload or something because it switches right off (and doesn't report that switching off to the ISY, either... but this isn't my concern).

Any ideas?

thanks,

someguy

Momentary mode?

Check the Options for the IOLinc, the ISY should read the current settings.

Rand

Here are the options that ISY gives me. I don't see that one of them is current:

2ynl4ew.jpg

I was able to get the I/OLinc to work, but I had to use the EZio 2x4 to provide the 5 volts:

zsmjxz.jpg

kind of hokey, but it works for now.

My theory is that the current from the I/OLinc is too small and that it overloads and "blows the fuse" so to speak.

someguy

The +5 volt supply is rated at 10 Ma.

The EXIO2X4 is 20 Ma.

Do you have the audio devices current specification for controlling it? Do you know if the DC control voltage has a polarity requirement? Like positive on a certain terminal.

You tried:

+5 to one control Line

Relay NO to the other control line

Relay C jumped to GND

Should switch the 5 volts to the amps controls.

Maybe +5 to Relay NO

One control to Relay C

Other control to GND

I tried every combination using the I/OLinc to send the 5 Volts to the stereo. I used a voltmeter and it would switch on and off (using the ISY to turn the I/OLinc on and off). The problem was when I would hook the it to the stereo, it would not work. When I'd switch the I/OLinc on, I'd hear one click when it turned on and another click a second or two later when it would shut off... almost like it was protecting itself from being overloaded.

When I connected the 5V and Ground from the EZio2x4 (as in my picture) it would not "overload" the I/OLinc and it works. Kind of hokey to have to use both of them. I'm essentially using the Ezio2x4 as a $130 5V battery. Great, huh?

someguy

I'm not an expert on this device, but it does indeed sound like it is "overloaded" as you suggest. As Brian H said in his post, the spec for the IOLinc is only 10mA for the 5V supply. That very well might not be enough current for it to operate your amp's remote circuit, and the behavior you describe is consistent with possible failure modes.

It's not enough to just apply 5V to the amp remote circuit; it has to have enough current behind it to do the job. This is why Brian also suggested checking the spec for your amplifier to see if it says how much current is required to operate that circuit.

With the EZIO2X4 supplying the power.

Disconnect one of the wires going to the stereo.

Take the meter set up to read Milliamps current and connect one meter lead to the removed wire and the other meter wire to the terminal you took the control wire off. Meter is in series with the load.

Set the meter to a high range and work your way down if needed to get a solid reading.

Read the current being used when the stereo is turned on remotely.

Depending on the reading. It could be overloading the I/OLinc or there is some sort of weird short between the I/OLInc and the Stereo. That the EZIO2X4s supply is isolated from.

You can get a 5 volt regulated wall wart and plug it into the pass through outlet on the I/OLinc if needed.

Archived