ELK/ISY

cwg819

i have a fairly large insteon installation with an ISY controller and PLM 2412S. if i install an ELK M1 with the M1XEP Ethernet Interface, can i connect directly to the ISY? i guess i would like certain insteon events to trigger alarms, and likewise, certain alarms to trigger insteon events.

thx

carl

Hi Carl,

Yes, you can do both. The only thing you have to keep in mind is that ELK related rules/programs are currently required to be done within ELK. We are currently working on a module which allows these programs to be inside ISY.

With kind regards,

Michel

i have a fairly large insteon installation with an ISY controller and PLM 2412S. if i install an ELK M1 with the M1XEP Ethernet Interface, can i connect directly to the ISY? i guess i would like certain insteon events to trigger alarms, and likewise, certain alarms to trigger insteon events.

thx

carl

Carl,

If you need help with the Elk rules and tying it together with the ISY then post back about it. It requires a few steps and they're far from intuitive.

In the simplest form you export your ISY device table to an .xml file (isy does this for you automagically) then import it into your elk through the automation section of ElkRP.

Then you have all your devices accessible from the Elk - it will monitor the PLM and know when things turn on/off and you can write Rules in the ElkRP automation rules section that will execute certain tasks based on the activity in your insteon network. Conversely your rules can turn lights on and such from within the Elk - ie - it's two-way.

It's a bit convoluted so if you get lost post and many here can help.

Carl,

I have put all of my Elk/ISY/Insteon programming on hold until the network module comes out. Michel is hard to pin down on when that will be, but he keeps saying soon.

Once the ISY module comes out, my intention is to move most all of my programming into ISY for both Elk stuff and Insteon. I find ISY capabilities and ease of programming to be superior.

The only thing I really like about Elk that ISY doesn't have is the nice and simple condition "dark outside". It takes multiple lines of programming and turns into one simple statement that makes sense. I wish ISY would add that capability.

Lou

They've been talking about variables for a while as well. When we get variables, we'll have what you want there.

You can do it now via folders. You can set up a folder with conditions so that it becomes true when it is dark outside. I do it now. You can base other programs off this folder being true and you can also put programs in that folder.

Archived