Help ge.tting isy-26 working

scotnor

Hello,

I received an isy-26 from smarthome and am trying to get it working. I connected it up out of the box to my network and find that it did negotiate a dhcp address from my linksys befsr41. I had two dhcp devices at this time, a laptop and the isy. Everything else on my network is static ip. Was unable to connect with telnet or browser, so I made up a straight through db9 cable and can connect to port b. I have changed the address to a static address 192.168.1.20 and it says 192.168.1.20:65335. Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and gateway is 192.168.1.1. DNS server set to one of at&t anycast servers. Type ET and says telnet enabled. Type EI and says No Internet Gateway Found and Could Not Configure The Gateway. Am still unable to use telnet or browser. My eventual goal is to start with more insteon devices but for now have one insteon/x10 sprinkler controller and the rest is x10. So, my problem at this point is getting telnet and web access going. And I did try the http:/:65335/0/p (slash omitted) for the address. My network otherwise is all linux. What have I missed? Thanks.....

Scott Norfleet

Mr. Norfleet,

First of all, apologies for the problems you've been experiencing.

1. The cable to connect to port B comes with ISY. If you have not received it (and thus had to make one up), I do apologize and I would be happy to send you one

2. Our telnet's port is 126. Have you tried telnet: isy.ip.address 126 ?

3. Have you tried http://www.universal-devices.com/MyInsteonISY? what do you see?

If you wish, I can call you to go through the possible causes with you.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello,

I received an isy-26 from smarthome and am trying to get it working. I connected it up out of the box to my network and find that it did negotiate a dhcp address from my linksys befsr41. I had two dhcp devices at this time, a laptop and the isy. Everything else on my network is static ip. Was unable to connect with telnet or browser, so I made up a straight through db9 cable and can connect to port b. I have changed the address to a static address 192.168.1.20 and it says 192.168.1.20:65335. Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and gateway is 192.168.1.1. DNS server set to one of at&t anycast servers. Type ET and says telnet enabled. Type EI and says No Internet Gateway Found and Could Not Configure The Gateway. Am still unable to use telnet or browser. My eventual goal is to start with more insteon devices but for now have one insteon/x10 sprinkler controller and the rest is x10. So, my problem at this point is getting telnet and web access going. And I did try the http:/:65335/0/p (slash omitted) for the address. My network otherwise is all linux. What have I missed? Thanks.....

Scott Norfleet

Hello Michel,

The isy appears to be working. I found a bad network switch. I tried to link to the insteon sprinkler controller, but I believe it is on the other phase. Now I will order a starter kit from smarthome. I also would like to get on the 2.5 beta program to get x10 devices working.

Thanks again for your help!

Scott

Hello Scott,

Thanks for the update. Release 2.5 candidate will be out by no later than Thrusday. If don't mind waiting, I'd like to send you that one instead of the Beta. I have already included you in our distribution list.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello Michel,

The isy appears to be working. I found a bad network switch. I tried to link to the insteon sprinkler controller, but I believe it is on the other phase. Now I will order a starter kit from smarthome. I also would like to get on the 2.5 beta program to get x10 devices working.

Thanks again for your help!

Scott

Hello Michel,

I have ordered a kit from smarthome to get insteon access points so I can get sprinkler system linked. This also has two lamplincs so I can replace two x10 modules.

I rechecked the box for the isy and there was a serial cable packed in the bottom. I would suggest that loose parts such as cables be packed where you run into them getting to the main piece of hardware. I did not look under the false floor until today. Was not a problem as I have serial cable parts available from my job and have made many cables in the past and I have a new way that makes it much easier to configure the cable as straight through or crossover.

I was noticing some reluctance of the administrative console to close down operating under linux. This was not noticed under win2000.

I await the kit from smarthome and the rc drop. Thanks!!!

Scott

Hello Scott,

You are 100% correct; we shall rework the packaging as you suggest.

Here are the known issues/bugs with Linux/Fedora 7

1. Cannot backup your configuration

2. Cannot change the location once the location has been set once

3. Cannot close Safari/IE (MAC has the same issue)

As far as your EZRain, please make sure you can link to EZRain first. We have had issues linking to EZxxx devices. I just want to make sure you can link to it before spending all the money on APs (or while you can return them). Is it possible to move your ISY/PLM on the same phase as your EZRain and test it?

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello Michel,

I have ordered a kit from smarthome to get insteon access points so I can get sprinkler system linked. This also has two lamplincs so I can replace two x10 modules.

I rechecked the box for the isy and there was a serial cable packed in the bottom. I would suggest that loose parts such as cables be packed where you run into them getting to the main piece of hardware. I did not look under the false floor until today. Was not a problem as I have serial cable parts available from my job and have made many cables in the past and I have a new way that makes it much easier to configure the cable as straight through or crossover.

I was noticing some reluctance of the administrative console to close down operating under linux. This was not noticed under win2000.

I await the kit from smarthome and the rc drop. Thanks!!!

Scott

Hello Mickel,

Status update:

Received kit from smarthome and installed accesslincs. Used controllinc and lamplinc to verify install and had to move accesslincs around to get good communications. The first endpoint of the ezrain is not communicating properly as it shows the ! mark. installed 3 pin outlets for 2 pin for mechanical integrity. This house is very old and only has two conductor wirie with point to point wiring. Do I need another accesslinc to handle the problem endpoint in ezrain? The ezrain is installed in a circuit isolated by a gfci due to being located near a hot tub.

Also, I was looking at the house plan tool and was wanting to drag the edges to make the rooms bigger, smaller or shaped wider or narrower. It would be interesting if the house plan could be brought up directly for control and status. This might be too far outside the scope of the program or take too much time to do.

Thanks,

Scott

Hello Scott,

Thanks so very much for the update.

As far as wiring, unfortunately so, you are well beyond my level of expertise. From what I know or have heard, yes, you do need an AP between the EZRain circuit and your circuit but I may be completely wrong. Fortunately, Mr. Steve Lee, at SmartHomePro, has his own INSTEON section in our forum (Everything INSTEON) and he will be much more knowledgeable in answering your question. May I humbly suggest posting your question at that forum?

As far as the Floorplan, we took a poll a few months back: no one is really using our Floorplan option and we think we may have to get rid of it in future releases.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello Mickel,

Status update:

Received kit from smarthome and installed accesslincs. Used controllinc and lamplinc to verify install and had to move accesslincs around to get good communications. The first endpoint of the ezrain is not communicating properly as it shows the ! mark. installed 3 pin outlets for 2 pin for mechanical integrity. This house is very old and only has two conductor wirie with point to point wiring. Do I need another accesslinc to handle the problem endpoint in ezrain? The ezrain is installed in a circuit isolated by a gfci due to being located near a hot tub.

Also, I was looking at the house plan tool and was wanting to drag the edges to make the rooms bigger, smaller or shaped wider or narrower. It would be interesting if the house plan could be brought up directly for control and status. This might be too far outside the scope of the program or take too much time to do.

Thanks,

Scott

Hello Michel,

I have just jumped ship and moved my macros and timers from the AHP/CM15A to the isy-26. My macros and timers have been moved. I have another insteon kit on order. It has another access point, a appliancelinc, and a remotelinc.

I have seen a triggered macro work the first time. So, we are going live. I like the program summary display. It could be interesting if I could see the step that each program was at (waits), but this might not be possible.

I have noticed that I must get into the isy through a private URL instead of the My ISY link from unversal-devices. I see no tabs with the My ISY path. I am guessing this is because I have not yet been able to enable internet access.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott,

Thanks so very much for the update!

The reason you don't see tabs when you go through the website is that your ISY is running 2.5 and the applet in the website is still at 2.4.xx. Furthermore, the URL on the website will only work when you are on the local network with ISY and not if you are remote.

Currently, the 2.5 URL on the website is at http://www.universal-devices.com/beta .

Thanks again,

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello Michel,

I have just jumped ship and moved my macros and timers from the AHP/CM15A to the isy-26. My macros and timers have been moved. I have another insteon kit on order. It has another access point, a appliancelinc, and a remotelinc.

I have seen a triggered macro work the first time. So, we are going live. I like the program summary display. It could be interesting if I could see the step that each program was at (waits), but this might not be possible.

I have noticed that I must get into the isy through a private URL instead of the My ISY link from unversal-devices. I see no tabs with the My ISY path. I am guessing this is because I have not yet been able to enable internet access.

Thanks,

Scott

Archived