Global Cache IP2IR iTach Wired TCP/IP to IR

mattd4

Is there any step by step instructions anywhere that outlines the intergration for the iTach to the isy99i. My irlinc 2411t keeps losing ir codes and is kinda a pain, this looks like more relaible soultion, im just kinda stuck on the install

There is a little info in the Wiki on using the GC100 with the ISY, but it is limited to the raly outputs on the GC100. The ITach uses the same command format as the GC100, but allows you to learn IR commands out of the box which the GC100 did not.

The procedure for using Global-Cache and ISY requires you to learn the IR codes first using the Global-Cache iLearn software (see documentation on their website), then copy and pasting this command string into the ISY network module (which you need to purchase, if you have not already). The command structure looks something like: sendir,1:1,45234,34500,4,3,34,48,24,12,24,960

I have a GC100 and it works like a charm with the ISY once you have it all set up. If you have not already gotten the hang of the Global-Cache software to give you a command string like the above, then tackle this first, then move onto the ISY network module.

• 5 months later...

Thought I'd pick up on this old thread instead of making a second.

I hooked up an GC iTach IP2IR to my system today. It works fantastic. A little learning curve to get things motoring but this thing is awesome.

It cleanly (key word) learned all my remote commands.

The beauty of this device as oppose to the SH unit, is that commands are not stored on the unit. They are sent via network to the device everytime. This means there are unlimited commands/combos and no fiddling around with the unit itself.

I have 2 Zoned/Global IR repeaters for all my electronics. I sent the output of the iTach into the RX input of one of my repeaters so that there wasn't even a need for extra IR emitters.

If anyone wants any additional info on this little guy, give me a shout.

• 3 weeks later...
I have 2 Zoned/Global IR repeaters for all my electronics. I sent the output of the iTach into the RX input of one of my repeaters so that there wasn't even a need for extra IR emitters.

If anyone wants any additional info on this little guy, give me a shout.

io_guy, what kind of repeater system are you using, I've read that an adapter is required for hooking up the GC units to Xantech repeaters and was wondering if you were using Xantech, and if you needed this adapter.

Also, what your programming experience if any, I can handle following instructions, cutting and pasting etc. but am NOT a programmer, and don't want to dive into something I'll have no chance of success with.

The programming side of things isn't that bad (I've been programming for 14 years so that opinion might be a little biased).

There is some IR learning on the iTach (iLearn) software and network commands (ISY network module) but following instructions should be fine.

You've read right. The output of the iTach is likely too low for "robust" use as a receiver input on a Xantech.

The easiest solution is to use a GC-CGX cable from Global Cache. I made a homeade version with a few transitors and such.

My home system has a Xantech ZC21, Xantech 789-44, and 2 Channel Vision P-1205s. All would require the cable (or mod).

The IR Blaster that comes with the unit shoots 15 feet to where it is picked up by my channel plus whole house music system which repeats it in my media closet. I made no special provisions for this and it works very nicely.

The blaster works, but you need all your devices to be in the same area.

In my case they're all over the house, zoned with IR distribution hubs.

By putting an Emitter out into the hub(s) you are able to control any device without running additional wires/blasters (Goes through the existing system). Much cleaner and no line-of-sight requirements.

Thanks guys,

Looks like I'll be purchasing the GC IP2IR, along w/ the Xantech adapter. My first priority is to set up the GC unit as a remote extender, using an iPod touch, and iPad along w/ the iRule app and iRule builder (they call it a 'free' app, but you need to purchase the $50 'builder' for it to serve any purpose), I decided to go this route, over the ThinkFlood RedEye, because now, I'll also have the option of being able to incorporate the IR controls into my ISY / Insteon controls, when I'm feeling up to what will probably be a sizeable task for me. I'll try to remember to keep everyone posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the GC IP2IR, and ISY network module. I already have the ISY controlling my DirecTV boxes via network control (shuts them down w/ all off scene), but am having some trouble learning functioning commmands for Sony TV w/ the GC unit. I'm getting a data string that, with some editing of the settings in the IR learn software, I can get to work the majority of the time, but a little more than half of the time just isn't what it should be. Does anyone have reliable Sony TV commands they can share, or help me out with the right settings so I can get the learned codes to work on my own?

I had to change the "gaps" setting to 3 to get codes to work properly on my dish vip 622. I figured this out by trial and error.

I wish I could help you out more, but I just haven't been able to find any good descriptions of exactly what the various settings change and when you might want to change them.

You could also look at remotecentral.com and see if they have your unit in hex format. Global cache has a program that will convert it to their format.

You could also look at remotecentral.com and see if they have your unit in hex format. Global cache has a program that will convert it to their format.

I've tried the remote central hex codes in the GC conversion program, it's the same situation, trying to correctly fine tune for a reliable signal that works consistently.

I do know that there is existing 'code' somewhere that works, I have iRule sending commands to my GC and they work like a charm, they're short in length too (some people have suggested increasing the number of repeats but then you could have a really long signal duration which I don't really think would be optimal) but the 'code' is not shown, I'm guessing it 'lives' hidden somewhere in the software. I'm hoping to get the people at iRule to share.

Did you try playing with the "gaps" setting. That is what got my dish receiver to work. I don't really know what "gaps" changes!

I didn't find that converting hex codes worked very well for me either.

I doubt "repeat" would fix it since I believe that it just repeats the message. A message that doesn't work twice isn't much better than one that doesn't work once.

The GC website has a very detailed pdf that probably would answer your question, if you can undertand it. I can't.

Yes, all of those settings get incorporated directly into the learned code as it is learning it. Some of them are kind of obvious, like which output you set it to send to. I have manually changed that without relearning.

The gap setting seems to have something to do with how the learner recognizes when the full code is complete. I think with gap at 1 it truncates necessary code for some items.

I read the online tutorial, but frankly, I couldn't really figure out what they were talking about on most issues. I may give them a call and see if they would give me a 5 minute rundown. I did talk to them once before and they seem to be pretty open to supporting their customers. If so, I will do my best to put the info on here.

• 2 years later...
The IR Blaster that comes with the unit shoots 15 feet to where it is picked up by my channel plus whole house music system which repeats it in my media closet. I made no special provisions for this and it works very nicely.

The blaster works, but you need all your devices to be in the same area.

In my case they're all over the house, zoned with IR distribution hubs.

By putting an Emitter out into the hub(s) you are able to control any device without running additional wires/blasters (Goes through the existing system). Much cleaner and no line-of-sight requirements.

io_guy, would you be open to posting some pics of this setup? While I get the idea, I can't envision it in my head.

Archived