Trouble With IOLinc and Garage Door Opener

Joe B

Not sure if this is a communication issue or not, but I am having problems with an IOLinc I just installed to control my garage door. Here is how I have it set up:

I have the N/O and Com terminals connected to the opener terminals.

I have a magnetic sensor connected to GND and Sense. The sensor is closed when the garage door is open.

I have the IOLinc set for Momentary C.

The IOLinc is not linked to a controller. I am using the 99i interface to controll it.

Here is what is happening:

The garage door opens and closes when I press the On button.

The garage door does nothing if I press the Off button, no matter if it is opened or closed.

The sensor status does not change unless I run a query on it. The sensor light on the IOLinc itself seems to be reporting the status correctly.

I have put the power plug of the opener into a FilterLinc, but nothing changed.

Anyone have any suggestions?

The garage door opens and closes when I press the On button.

This sounds like how I expect momentary "B" to operate. Of course, if your sensor status never changes, then the IO linc may think that your door is always closed, and respond only to on (open) commands in momentary C.

I experienced a little confusion about wire colors from the sensor. Which two color wires are you using to connect to the IOLinc? I think I am using the red and black, which gives me an "on" when the door is open. I recall the instructions showing green and red wires from the sensor connected to the IOLinc, which did not work for me (experienced similar problems to you). Try green and black, or red and black, depending on whether you want on to equal open or closed.

Given that your IOLinc seems to be seeing sensor status (as evidence of the LED indication), I am with Sub-routine on this. If wiring the sensor differently does not fix your problem,it sounds like a potential faulty IOLinc.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried both suggestions, no luck. I returned the IOLinc and installed the replacement, same behavior.

I am using a magnetic sensor I had lying around, it was from my alarm system. I have it mounted so that it is ON when the door is open.

The sensor light on the unit is on when the door is open and off when it is closed.

I do not have a controller linked to the IO Linc, but am using the 99i webpage to test it.

I am running out of ideas on what the issue could be. Anyone have any thoughts?

There are a couple of symptoms, first the Sensor is not reporting status as it changes and the momentary mode does not seem to be what was selected.

Suggest running Tools/Diagnostics/Show Device Links Table for the IOLinc. The Sensor not reporting status is normally a link problem as the IOLinc has to be told what device it should report status to. The Link information will show what device the IOLinc should report status to, if any.

Are the symptoms with the new IOLinc the same as you reported in your first post.

EDIT: the idea here is determine if the IOLinc has the necessary link record for communication with the ISY/PLM. If the Link record is there then the Event Log level 3 trace will show whether the IOLinc Group message is making to the ISY/PLM. If the Link record is not there then tracing the Insteon device add process will be necessary to see why the link record did not get written. Either situation could be the result of a communication problem between the IOLinc and the ISY/PLM. May be necessary to move the IOLinc to the same plug point as the ISY/PLM but that is down the road.

Lee,

I added the IOLinc to the 99i and it created a sensor and relay device in My Lighting. I set the relay for momentary C.

If I do a Query on the sensor it will report the correct status, it just does not seem to change unless I do so.

I have not linked the IOLinc to a controller, I am just trying to control it using the 99i webpage.

My objective is to use MobiLinc to control the garage door from my iPhone.

All the symptoms are the same as the original post. Only the On button on the relay device screen will trigger the relay no matter if the sensor is reporting on or off. The Off button never triggers the relay.

Joe

The ON command is turning the output relay On for a short period of time which causes the door opener to move, either Open or Close. It sounds like the IOLinc is operating in Momentary A mode.

Take a look at the EDIT: I added to my previous post. It explains why the Show Device Links Table is needed.

Here is what I get when I ran and saved the Show Device Links Table for the sensor:

-

Device Links Table : Garage Door-Sensor / 15 B9 E2 1

-

-

-

-

The second line displayed should look like this if I did the conversion correctly..

FF0 E2 1 129FFA FF1F01

129FFA should be the ISY/PLM Insteon address. The Sensor state change should be reported to the ISY/PLM. Run Tools/Diagnostics/Event Viewer with Change Level to level 3. Then change the Sensor state by moving the magnet to and away from the magnetic switch, not with relay control. You can move the door position with the existing door opener manual switch.

Post the Event Log results. If nothing appears in the Event Log when the Sensor changes state move the IOLinc to the plug point of the ISY/PLM and use a simple wire jumper between Sensor and GND to change the Sensor state and see if the Event Log shows activity.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the same exact issue. I bought the kit from SH including the sensor. Joe did you find a solution.

A point of clarification, please. Joe is apparently using a different magnetic sensor. You are using the garage kit sensor, correct?

Which wires did you connect from your sensor? Is the LED on the IOLinc responding (on when open, off when closed, or reverse) to the door opening and closing? When you look at the sensor in the ISY admin panel, do you not see a status change when the door is opened or closed?

• 3 weeks later...

Lee,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, put I haven't been able to work on this for awhile.

The sensor seems to be working fine now, I think a nearby transformer was causing interference, but the relay still isn't acting like it is momentary C mode. Here is the event log when I closed and opened the sensor.

Sun 08/15/2010 03:18:58 PM : [iNST-SRX ] 02 50 15.B9.E2 00.00.01 CB 11 00 LTONRR (00)

Sun 08/15/2010 03:18:58 PM : [standard-Group][15.B9.E2-->Group=1] Max Hops=3, Hops Left=2

Sun 08/15/2010 03:18:58 PM : [ 15 B9 E2 1] DON 0

Sun 08/15/2010 03:18:58 PM : [ 15 B9 E2 1] ST 255

Sun 08/15/2010 03:18:58 PM : [iNST-SRX ] 02 50 15.B9.E2 12.9F.FA 41 11 01 LTONRR (01)

Sun 08/15/2010 03:18:58 PM : [standard-Cleanup][15.B9.E2-->ISY/PLM Group=1] Max Hops=1, Hops Left=0

Sun 08/15/2010 03:19:01 PM : [iNST-SRX ] 02 50 15.B9.E2 00.00.01 CB 13 00 LTOFFRR(00)

Sun 08/15/2010 03:19:01 PM : [standard-Group][15.B9.E2-->Group=1] Max Hops=3, Hops Left=2

Sun 08/15/2010 03:19:01 PM : [ 15 B9 E2 1] DOF 0

Sun 08/15/2010 03:19:01 PM : [ 15 B9 E2 1] ST 0

Sun 08/15/2010 03:19:01 PM : [iNST-SRX ] 02 50 15.B9.E2 12.9F.FA 41 13 01 LTOFFRR(01)

Sun 08/15/2010 03:19:01 PM : [standard-Cleanup][15.B9.E2-->ISY/PLM Group=1] Max Hops=1, Hops Left=0

I have tried setting the I/O Linc through the 99i and manually to monentary C, but get the same results.

Just a reminder, when the garage door is open the sensor is closed.

Joe

Joe,

The trace is showing the commands expected when the sensor changes state. First a Group On command sequence is sent from the IOLinc followed by a Group Off command sequence. There is nothing in the trace that indicates you initiated a Scene to send a Group On or Group Off from the ISY to the IOLinc relay.

Lee

EDIT: did not mean to imply a Scene was the only way. There is nothing in the trace that any attempt was made from the ISY to control the IOLinc relay.

• 3 weeks later...

Joe,

I'm having the exact same issue....using the same setup you have right down to the iPhone!

Did you find a solution?

I read somewhere that their might be a firmware upgrade for the ISY99 that is supposed to improve i/o linc sensor communication. Do think this might help?

I wish we could get this thing working...

There were multiple symptoms in the initial post. The sensor was not reporting status and the output relay might not have been in the expected momentary mode.

The sensor eventually worked which was thought by the OP to be interference from a near by transformer. Not sure the output relay mode was resolved.

What symptoms are you experiencing versus expectations.

symptoms- the only way to open or close the garage door is to turn on the relay... Turning it off whether the door is opened or closed does nothing.

Sensor is working fine - indicates open or closed when it should...

My expectations are for the relay to open the door when closed by pressing the on button and do nothing when i press the off button when closed and...

to close the door when open by pressing the of button and do nothing when i press the on button when opened.... like it's supposed to..

It dosen't matter if the on button closes or opens or visa versa as long as on or off performs a specific function...

Thanks

D

If you turn the output relay On and leave it in the On state can you use the manual door control button to control door movement. If the IOLinc is in the default Latching mode leaving the relay On should prevent the manual door control button from controlling door movement. If the manual door control button works with the output relay On from the ISY perspective then it is in Momentary A mode.

How did you establish Momentary C mode for the output relay.

Bring up the Event Viewer with Change level: 3 and do the Set Options function again. I would like to the see actual commands the ISY is issuing to establish Momentary C.

It would also be helpful to know if the manual door control button works when the output relay is turned On and left On.

Fri 09/03/2010 12:53:53 AM : [iNST-ACK ] 02 62 15.18.81 0F 1F 00 06 GOF (FLAGS)

Fri 09/03/2010 12:53:53 AM : [iNST-SRX ] 02 50 15.18.81 12.9F.C2 2B 1F 9A GOF (9A)

Fri 09/03/2010 12:53:53 AM : [standard-Direct Ack][15.18.81-->ISY/PLM Group=0] Max Hops=3, Hops Left=2

Fri 09/03/2010 12:53:53 AM : [15 18 81 1 ] Using engine version i1 for 'Carport Door-Sensor (On=Open)'

Fri 09/03/2010 12:53:54 AM : [iNST-ACK ] 02 62 15.18.81 0F 28 00 06 SET-MSB(00)

Fri 09/03/2010 12:53:54 AM : [iNST-SRX ] 02 50 15.18.81 12.9F.C2 2B 28 00 SET-MSB(00)

Fri 09/03/2010 12:53:54 AM : [standard-Direct Ack][15.18.81-->ISY/PLM Group=0] Max Hops=3, Hops Left=2

Fri 09/03/2010 12:53:54 AM : [iNST-ACK ] 02 62 15.18.81 0F 2B 33 06 PEEK (33)

Fri 09/03/2010 12:53:54 AM : [iNST-SRX ] 02 50 15.18.81 12.9F.C2 2B 2B 14 PEEK (14)

Fri 09/03/2010 12:53:54 AM : [standard-Direct Ack][15.18.81-->ISY/PLM Group=0] Max Hops=3, Hops Left=2

The manual button will not work while the relay is on...

Thanks

mdyod

The IOLinc output relay is operating in the default Latching mode. It is the same thing that happens when the manual door opener button is held pressed, none of the other manual opener buttons work.

Unfortunately when I went to check on the Get Operating Flags command (the first command in the Event trace) my document does not include the IO Linc device so I cannot verify the content of that command nor the content of memory location 0x0033. All the commands were ACKed so it is not an issue with the communication with the IO Linc.

Michel,

Someone on your end will have to look at the Event trace for the GOF command content and memory location 0x0033 content to see if the correct values are being used for Momentary C. It has been verified that the IO Linc is in Latching mode as leaving the output Relay On prevents the manual door opener button from working. Any of the Momentary modes (even if it was not Momentary C) would allow the manual door opener button to work once the Momentary mode time value expired.