How do the new KPL's (v1.5) affect ISY programming?

sceaton

From this thread at SH: http://www.techmall.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2230&whichpage=1 Trevor indicates that the new KPL firmware now allows:

1. Each button can have different on-levels and ramp rates when controlling the local load. For example, the A button can turn the local load to 100% ON, while the B button can change it to 50%.

2. Variable LED brightness, including OFF.

3. X10 feautures like All ON and All OFF.

I'm mainly interested in #1 -- Was this issue limited to the KPL in such a way that it's business-as-usual for the ISY and now that the KPL firmware is fixed, the sub-buttons will control the local load appropriately too?

This doesn't mean that each button can be directly controlled, right? In order to change LED status, we still need to add it to a scene by itself, then control that scene?

Just wondering what the new KPL firmware means in the ISY realm.

Thanks!

sceaton,

Apologies for a tardy reply.

This means that you can now have the sub-buttons control the load for the KPL. This also means that now ISY has to keep track of the firmware version for each device to figure out what's supported.

ISY 2.5 will not have KPL 1.5 support. This feature will be supported in 2.6 (very early next year).

With kind regards,

Michel

From this thread at SH: http://www.techmall.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2230&whichpage=1 Trevor indicates that the new KPL firmware now allows:

1. Each button can have different on-levels and ramp rates when controlling the local load. For example, the A button can turn the local load to 100% ON, while the B button can change it to 50%.

3. X10 feautures like All ON and All OFF.

I'm mainly interested in #1 -- Was this issue limited to the KPL in such a way that it's business-as-usual for the ISY and now that the KPL firmware is fixed, the sub-buttons will control the local load appropriately too?

This doesn't mean that each button can be directly controlled, right? In order to change LED status, we still need to add it to a scene by itself, then control that scene?

Just wondering what the new KPL firmware means in the ISY realm.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I vaguely remember seeing my question addressed in another post but I can't find it.

Will version 2.6 allow the function of changing the LED backlight brightness as well as turning it off on KPL 1.5's? It would be cool to create a schedule to dim or turn off the led backlights at around 10pm and have them turn back on at 6am or something like that!

ISY 2.5 will not have KPL 1.5 support. This feature will be supported in 2.6 (very early next year).

Isn't 2.6 already out? Does it support the feature discussed here or is it going to be available in 2.6x

I have a V1.5 KPL and I've only been able to turn the backlight LED's off. I have been unsuccessful at dimming them!

Wayne

I just thought I would let everyone know that I have turned off my LED backlights and it is nice, unfortunately when one light is on (like button H for example) that one button still lights up super bright.

In other words you can dim or turn off the backlight for when the status of a button is off but when the status of the button is on the LED is as bright as it normaly is.

Wayne,

I am sorry for the delay ... I can vividly remember replying to this post but ... umm!

Anyway, please find my answers below.

With kind regards,

Michel

...Isn't 2.6 already out? Does it support the feature discussed here or is it going to be available in 2.6x

Due to a minor bug in 2.4 releases, we could not have modifications (such as 2.5.1) work with AutoUpdate so we had to renumber everything to 2.6. So, the release you are looking for is 2.7.

Due to a minor bug in 2.4 releases, we could not have modifications (such as 2.5.1) work with AutoUpdate so we had to renumber everything to 2.6. So, the release you are looking for is 2.7.

Thanks for the info. I'll be eagerly waiting for 2.6.

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Michel,

Just wondering if the 99i unit will follow a similar firmware path as the 26, so that when new features are added to the 26, they will similarly be added to the 99i.

For example, I too have some new KPL's (actually v1.6 now!) and am looking forward to being able to control the LED's in the bedrooms. Right now, I have to manually set the keypads to turn off the LED's.

Regards.

I just thought I would let everyone know that I have turned off my LED backlights and it is nice, unfortunately when one light is on (like button H for example) that one button still lights up super bright.

In other words you can dim or turn off the backlight for when the status of a button is off but when the status of the button is on the LED is as bright as it normaly is.

Hmm, I'm seeing just the opposite. When the backlight is set to OFF or very low the LED brightness in the ON state is very low. I called SH and they confirmed that is the way it is supposed to work. Actually, I'd like them to work the way Wayne describes it; OFF state being very dim of off, and On state being bright enough to see in the daytime

Hmm, I'm seeing just the opposite. When the backlight is set to OFF or very low the LED brightness in the ON state is very low. I called SH and they confirmed that is the way it is supposed to work. Actually, I'd like them to work the way Wayne describes it; OFF state being very dim of off, and On state being bright enough to see in the daytime

I am seeing the same as rowland. My On buttons are only as bright as the backlight used to be and the Off buttons are dark. I like it!

Hello blartyo,

Yes: anything that has to do with the underlying protocol (INSTEON) and common functionality (NTP/SMTP/SSL) will be released on all platforms (26 and 99). Otherwise, they will have their own schedules.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michel,

Just wondering if the 99i unit will follow a similar firmware path as the 26, so that when new features are added to the 26, they will similarly be added to the 99i.

For example, I too have some new KPL's (actually v1.6 now!) and am looking forward to being able to control the LED's in the bedrooms. Right now, I have to manually set the keypads to turn off the LED's.

Regards.

Archived