IR... what's the deal?

agent0014

So what's the hardware difference between the 99i and the 99i/IR? For some reason when I bought my isy I was under the assumption that the IR model needed extra hardware and served other (possibly less-useful) functions than I'm starting to learn that it does. I've searched the forums and the wiki, but no where that I've looked is a basic explanation of what the IR model can actually do. Is it as simple as having a harmony-style remote and setting up the isy in a location by the entertainment center?

Does the IR model have the option of adding an external IR sensor that I could run a cable for (dropped through a basement or baseboard?)

Do I have any options to add IR to my non-IR isy?

I'm a little excited now that I'm starting to realize what might be possible, and also kicking myself for not buying the IR model in the first place if setup is really as simple as I'm beginning to suspect.

Thanks for any help or feedback!

My understanding is that the IR version has a built-in IR sensor that one can send IR signals into. These signals could be a trigger as conditions in an ISY program. I don't believe there is provisions for an external sensor. I don't believe additional hardware is required.

One could locate the ISY in an entertainment center and use a TV remote to send commands. Or, one could locate the ISY anywhere and use some type of IR extender to input IR commands from another room.

Or, there are insteon IR recievers available that can be programmed to do similar things. For that matter, there are X-10 RF recievers which can be used to transmit X-10 signals over the powerline and used to trigger programs (this is the solution I currently use to trigger lighting control from a TV universal remote).

There are several solutions, including the built-in IR reciever. I don't think you have to be limited due to the fact that you don't have the IR version of the ISY-99.

I know there's an insteon IR receiver, but I wasn't certain how well it integrated with the ISY... also it's $100 vs. $40 for the native IR option.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how my ISY and PLM would fare being connected pretty much on top of my entertainment center (not to mention my challenges on then getting the ISY hooked up to my router, which would be on a different floor).

I have the IR version and it works as oberkc said.

Much nicer than using a separate insteon device (it doesn't flood your powerlines).

It has a generic 40 code set that is available on a Harmony remote, or other codes can be learned.

I have my isy-99 about 100' from my media center by using an IR repeater and some CAT5 cable. It works perfect.

I know there's an insteon IR receiver, but I wasn't certain how well it integrated with the ISY...

I would expect that, like any insteon device, it would integrate beautifully.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how my ISY and PLM would fare being connected pretty much on top of my entertainment center

Whether you hook it up amongst a bunch of home theater electronics, or amongst a bunch of computer electronics, I suggest planning to put such things on a filter, so to limit the potential for inteference. Of course, the PLM itself should not be on a filter. When on filters, I would expect little trouble from these devices.

I would expect that, like any insteon device, it would integrate beautifully.

well to be fair, I've read about some issues with the insteon IRlinc devices... maybe it was just the transmitter, and maybe it was an older firmware version... but regardless wasn't going to make that assumption.

well to be fair, I've read about some issues with the insteon IRlinc devices

Perhaps. I do not recall reading of any such problems, but now I have. Given this, I understand your hesitancy. Perhaps, as you say, this was an older version of the ISY firmware, since taken care of. I use an X-10 reciever (IR-543) and the ISY see's these signals without problem.

If you don't want to use something like the IR linc, and plan to put the ISY-99 in a room other than the one where you use the remotes, then your options may be limited to an ISY-99IR with some type of IR extender to get the remote signal from the remote room to the ISY room. If you happen to have a remote with RF capability, you may also consider an RF extender at the ISY location.

The IR hardware can be added to any ISY-99i, it is a matter of opening the case and plugging in the board. Then the firmware will have to be upgraded which will involve an appointment with our tech support.

Rand

What would be the cost of the plug in module and how would one go about ordering it?

Thanks,

Tim

Archived