A new module coming called SynchroLinc

TJF1960

Just got the new SH catalog in the mail yesterday and they have a new controller coming out called the SynchroLinc (catalog vol. 123, page 65)which triggers lights or appliances based on a load state. For instance you can plug your tv into it and when the tv is turned on it will turn on any linked device.

I wasn’t able to find any info online so I don’t know when it will become available or any specs but I am sure this will open up a lot more possibilities for HA. Its priced at $39.99

Tim

You typically don't want to cut power completely from a TV because its settings & calibrations are normally affected after some time without juice, so just building an ApplianceLinc that transmitted on local control wouldn't really help.

Right now, your options for monitoring device status on a TV are to either use an IO Linc kit to monitor for a status LED or sound output, or add an IRLinc transmitter and program your remote with an entirely different IR code (so you could tell your ISY that you wanted the tv on or off, then the ISY transmits the real IR code to the TV), both messy options that require some setup expertise.

I see a market for having a simple device to monitor & report energy states of devices that aren't easily controlled by simply turning source power on and off. If they stick with the price in the new catalog, it is also already substantially cheaper than either the LED or audio/video detector probe kits.

It must have AC on the output all the time and just sense the added current when the device is ON.

Most modern TVs and such have a standby supply that is always on.

That is how it appears to work. It plugs into the wall and has an outlet on the bottom, same case as an appliancelinc. It doesn’t have a pass thru outlet though.

Surely it will allow a minor current draw without turning on in order for it to work with tv's and such which do draw a minimal current when off.

I thought it would be a good match for someone who didn’t want to go the irlinc route, or rig up a io linc in order to control other devices and scenes when the tv was turned on. And the price seems fair.

Tim

This sounds much like a device I already use: a powerstrip with one plug sensing the on-state of a device and the other plugs cutting power based on the condition of the first. I use it for computers (turning off peripheral devices when the PC is shut down) and TVs (turning off the audio devices when the TV is shut down).

To me, having a separate product with the same price but without load control does not make sense.

Perhaps the difference is that this device does not actually cut power to the device, but only senses when it is on or off? My powerstrip does not cut power to the controlling device, but only recognizes the power conditions when on compared to off. It even has an adjustment for defining the power draw in the off condition. (The power strip DOES cut all power to the controlled outlets.) My assumption is that the insteon device would be the same.

Of course, my power strip requires all devices to be in the same general area. The insteon devices sounds as though I could shut down related devices at different locations. Nice.

And furthermore, this could trigger a multitude of things to happen just about anywhere. For example, when you turn your tv off, you could set conditions for after 11pm, then have it turn your bedroom lights on, turn the other house lights off after 5 minutes, turn a hot water recirc on to the master sink, and so on.

I am sure you could come up with all kinds of other things to plug into it that might trigger other things.

I cobbled together something with similar functionality for my house a while back, but it took a little doing. I used a Green Phillips Energy Saving Power Strip ($25), an IOLinc ($46) plugged into the Always On outlet, mounted a 120 volt relay in a project box and hooked it to a power cord plugged into a secondary outlet ($10 + $time$ buying & assembling), then plugged the TV into the Master outlet and accessories (audio, DVD player, game console) into additional Secondary outlets. Last but not least, I created programs in the ISY and tasks in HAL to respond to IOLinc messages.

Just like a game of MouseTrap: when someone turns on the TV on with an IR remote, the power strip senses the additional power draw and energizes the Secondary outlets. That turns on the accessories and closes the contacts on the relay. That causes the IOLinc to transmit an ON to the ISY and to HAL automation software alerting them both that the TV is on. Everything reverses when we turn the TV off.

Meanwhile, HAL can monitor TV usage and issue gentle text-to-speech reminders if we stay up too late or spend too much time watching or playing, and the ISY can automagically turn off the TV (via an IRLinc Transmitter) at the same time it turns off other unnecessary lights & appliances when we or HAL change the housemode to Away.

A SynchroLinc and an ApplianceLinc would replace the green power strip, the IOLinc, the homebrew relay box and the assembly time, and gives me additional flexibility on where Secondary devices are located. I like it!

• 1 month later...

If this device can leave standby power to an AV component and then tell when that component comes out of standby this is going to be huge for me. I will get the IR TX and use my ISY to shut down my AV system as part of my AWAY. If the ISY knows if the device is in standby or powered up it can determine whether or not to send the IR power command, even for all those devices that I do not have access to a discrete ON or OFF code.

This is going to be great if it works like I hope.

• 1 month later...

I see how this device would be useful, but I wonder why they would not just incorporate it into a power strip with individually controllable outlets. For that matter, why are they not already producing such a strip - without the sensor?

Jack Rainey

• 4 weeks later...

Don't they hold off on charging your credit card until the unit ships?

In that case, a 'pre-purchase' is nothing more than a way to get a count of how much interest there may be in a new product and a way for you to be first in line when the hardware becomes available. It's not like you'd be out anything.

Actually it was moved to 12/08/2010 and I got a updated back order email.

For a very short time it was showing as out of stock. Then went to the 05/30/2011 date.

Sometimes the out of stock message indicates they had some and sold out. I have not seen anyone saying they got one yet but maybe.

I have also seen the stock system give a real long lead time when the stock is gone. Just to cover all bases. You may see it get updated to a closer date again or maybe not.

My CC had a reservation of the orders cost but reservations expire. So Smarthome verified my CC was valid but no actually charge was made only the test reservation.

I just did a order history check for my account. My SynchroLinc order is still showing as Open and no other data.

I don't like having a order in limbo for almost six extra months and I may cancel mine as it was an impulse purchase that I have had lots of time to rethink. :wink:

Can you start a new thread once you have a chance to play with the new toy. I would be interested in your feed-back as to how well it operates and how you have incorporated this new device into your existing system.

Pro's and con's is what I am looking for and a honest IMO of the cost benefit ratio for this device.

Archived