IOLinc Queries incorrectly

lawr1000

Michel suggested posting in this forum so that SmartHome might pick this up.

The problem is my IOLinc appears to ignore the 'Trigger Reverse' setting when a query is performed. I am running ISY version 2.8.1, this issue was present in 2.7.15 also. The IOLinc is hardware v1.4 and software v.36.

Here is my testing procedure.

1. Factory Reset the device (IOLinc already removed from the ISY-99i)

• A. Unplug the IOLinc for 10 seconds.
    B. Plug the IOLinc in with the set button pressed.
    C. Got 1 beep from the IOLinc.
    D. Waited for 3 seconds.
    E. Released the set button.
    F. Got 2 beeps from the IOLinc.

2. Added the IOLinc to the ISY-99i with the door closed, sensor LED on.

3. Opened and closed the door several times and the ISY sees the status changes and queries from the IOLinc correctly.

• A. When the door is closed the status LED is on and the ISY say on.
    B. When the door is open the status LED is off and the ISY say off.
    C. A query from the ISY when door closed and status LED is on the result is on.
    D. A query from the ISY when door open and status LED is off the result is off.

4. Changed the IOLinc 'Trigger Reversed' setting to true.

5. Opened and closed the door several times and the ISY sees the status changes from the IOLinc correctly but the query is INCORRECT.

• A. When the door is closed the status LED is on and the ISY say off. Correct.
    B. When the door is opened the status LED is off and the ISY say on. Correct
    C. A query from the ISY when door closed and status LED is on the result is on. Incorrect.
    D. A query from the ISY when door open and status LED is off the result is off. Incorrect.

I performed these steps again except step 2 I added the IOLinc to the ISY with the door open and status LED off. The results were the same.

Here is an example event log with 'trigger reverse' selected:

-- Opened the door and the IOLinc reported this status
[iNST-SRX    ] 02 50 15.B9.22 00.00.01 C7 11 00    LTONRR (00)
[standard-Group][15.B9.22-->Group=1] Max Hops=3, Hops Left=1
[  15 B9 22 1]      DON   0
[  15 B9 22 1]       ST 255
[iNST-SRX    ] 02 50 15.B9.22 0F.9B.F6 42 11 01    LTONRR (01)
[standard-Cleanup][15.B9.22-->ISY/PLM Group=1] Max Hops=2, Hops Left=0

-- Closed the door and the IOLinc reported this status
[iNST-SRX    ] 02 50 15.B9.22 00.00.01 C7 13 00    LTOFFRR(00)
[standard-Group][15.B9.22-->Group=1] Max Hops=3, Hops Left=1
[  15 B9 22 1]      DOF   0
[  15 B9 22 1]       ST   0
[iNST-SRX    ] 02 50 15.B9.22 0F.9B.F6 41 13 01    LTOFFRR(01)
[standard-Cleanup][15.B9.22-->ISY/PLM Group=1] Max Hops=1, Hops Left=0

-- Peformed a query of the IOLinc on the ISY-99i
[iNST-ACK    ] 02 62 15.B9.22 0F 19 01 06          LTSREQ (01)
[iNST-SRX    ] 02 50 15.B9.22 0F.9B.F6 27 0F 01    PING   (01)
[standard-Direct Ack][15.B9.22-->ISY/PLM Group=0] Max Hops=3, Hops Left=1
[  15 B9 22 1]       ST 255

The open, close, and query were performed quickly with nothing else happening in between. As you can see the the query immediately after the status update from the IOLinc is opposite of what it should be. The Status change is reported correctly but the query is not.

• 1 month later...

I've noticed the same thing. I'm trying to use one of my IOLincs as a darkness detector. (It says V1.3, 1010 on the label. The isy reports it as V.36) I also am trying to reverse the sense of the trigger.

It outputs the proper message when it switches from dark to light or vice versa and the isy shows the sensor in the proper state. However, whenever I try to QUERY the module, it reports the wrong state! This is a real problem since every morning at 3:00 AM the isy does a QUERYALL to resync itself to the status of all modules.

I'm about to install two more IOLINCs on my garage doors, but I'm wondering if this will cause a problem there as well.

Has anyone received a response from Smarthome about this?

Frank

Isn't this just because an IOLinc status query returns the physical state of the relay, not the sensor or device settings?

If it does, that's fairly useless since a lot of activation modes involve only a momentary relay activation. But, I sure would like to know if my garage door is open or if it happens to be dark outside! (I guess that it would be possible to live with the relay following the light/dark state, but that wouldn't work for a garage door opener.

Frank

I've sent the following email to Smarthome customer service. I'll let you know what I hear back. (I probably should have sent them two emails for the two separate issues.)

Frank

-----------------------------------------

I have two issues I would like to report:

#1: Documentation Error

Am I missing something or is there an error in the Quick Start Guide for the 74551 Garage Door Control and Status Kit?

The black and green wires on the Seco-Larm SM-226L-3 contacts present a closed circuit when the garage door is closed. This causes the IO-Linc Status LED to be ON when the door is CLOSED, contrary to the desired operation. (See user guide exerpt, below.)

The manual should read, black and red leads. Both the printed copy I received and the current QS Guide on the web contain this error.

#2 - Firmware Error: Model 2450

Activating the "Trigger Reverse" option within the 2450 IO Linc should also solve the problem and allow the use of the more customary "closed when secure" loop operation, but there is a serious software bug in the IO Linc (v.36). If "Trigger Reverse" is activated, the IO Linc will report the sensor status correctly when it changes. However, if a QUERY is done, the IO Linc reports the incorrect status. This is a separate issue from the documentation error, but it really should be fixed. Please raise a firmware bug report igf this hasn't already been reported and let me know when I can get an updated IO Linc. (This problem doesn't affect my garage door application, but it's causing big problems on some of the other applications with which I'd like to use the IO Linc.)

User Guide Excerpt:

Install Garage Door Sensor

2) Remove the pre-stripped plastic shielding from the end of each Extension Wire

3) Connect one end of one of the Extension Wire’s leads into I/O Linc’s GND terminal (see Figure 1)

4) Connect other extension wire lead into I/O Linc’s Sense terminal

5) Using wire nuts, butt connectors or electrical tape (not included), connect other end of extension wire to black and green sensor leads as shown in Figure 1

6) Mount Sensor Magnet near the bottom of the inside of your garage door

7) Mount Garage Door Sensor to garage floor within 2 ½†of Sensor Magnet when garage door is closed

8) Test by opening and closing garage door

I/O Linc’s Sensor Status LED will turn off when garage door is closed and turn on when it is open

Regards

Frank

It took a week but Smarthome responded to the error in the Garage Kit setup guide.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Smarthome.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I will send this on to be corrected in the online version, and the paper versions will be updated later.

Sincerely,

Matt P***

Customer Solutions Center

Still no response on the IOLinc bug report. (But they already know about this one.)

Currently, if "Sensor Reversed " mode is selected, the IOLinc reports neither the relay state nor the sensor state correctly. Other devices like keypads or motion detectors can report several statuses with no trouble. (e.g. status of each individual key on the keypad.) Is there any reason that the IOLinc shouldn't be able to report both the sensor status and relay status when queried or when the states change? (For short momentary relay activations, it hardly seems worth the effort to report relay changes since it will always revert to OFF.)

Archived