Newbie Question

tpolito

I have read the threads, and am just trying to confirm a few things. I currently have over 40 Insteon devices installed, as well as an OmniIIe and HAL2000 as my controller. I am helping someone with an installation in their home and am considering using an Elk system with an ISY. Having never used an Elk, or an ISY, I had a few questions that I was hoping someone could answer.

First of all, I have read that there is not an Elk module for the ISY yet, but it sounds like their still is a degree of compatability between the two systesm.

1. Can the ISY detect changes in the alarm status of the Elk and run scenes accordingly?

2. Can the Elk be armed/disarmed from Insteon devices (such as a Keypadlinc)?

From what I have read, it looks like the answers to both of these questions are Yes, but I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks

Hello tpolito,

Welcome to our world!

Please see my comments below.

With kind regards,

Michel

1. Can the ISY detect changes in the alarm status of the Elk and run scenes accordingly?

Not from ISY but from within ELK you can have rules to control all your devices and scenes based on ELK status

2. Can the Elk be armed/disarmed from Insteon devices (such as a Keypadlinc)?

Same as above

Ok, so the Elk would connect directly to a PLM or something? What is throwing me off is that smarthome is selling a package with an Elk and ISY, so I was assuming the ISY was providing the interface. So it sounds like right now the Elk directly controls the Insteon devices, but that an Elk module will be released to allow the isy to interface with the elk.

Hello tpolito,

Apologies for not being clear. ELK communicates to INSTEON via ISY (through M1XEP) on the local area network. So, your ISY configurations are readily available to ELK.

With kind regards,

Michel

Ok, so the Elk would connect directly to a PLM or something? What is throwing me off is that smarthome is selling a package with an Elk and ISY, so I was assuming the ISY was providing the interface. So it sounds like right now the Elk directly controls the Insteon devices, but that an Elk module will be released to allow the isy to interface with the elk.

If you have the network module and are willing to tinker, check out this thread for instructions for using network resources to send one-way commands to your Elk. This could be used to accomplish many things, including arming/disarming your Elk via a Keypad button (use the button to fire a program that uses a network resource).

Archived