2477D - It can't be this hard!

rlebel

Okay so i've got a working 30+ device Insteon network, so I'm probably not a total incompetent. I just got 5 2477Ds with the intent of getting rid of my plug in APs. I installed one, it works fine, when I press SET on an opposite phase AP four times the 2477D LED flashes nicely. But I CANNOT get the 2477D to go into wireless test mode - I press the SET button 4 times, hear a little beep with each press and - nothing! So I pulled another one out of the box, plugged it into the wall with a spare cord and - SAME THING. Am I doing something wrong? Did SH ship me a batch of defective units? Help!

I replied to you already over on the Smarthome user forum.

The hardware isn't defective, but the Owner's Manual is. Looks like they mistakenly included part of the instructions for the plug-in dual-band units. From what I've been told, the 2477D doesn't have its own quad-tap wireless test mode like the plug-in dual-band units have, you just get the flashing light if another dual-band device goes into test mode.

Thanks, at least now I can stop doubting my own sanity - and start doubting the designer's! How am I supposed to test wireless-to-wireless communication of multiple dual-mode devices if I can't put some of them into transmit mode? What if I have only dual-mode SwitchLincs and no plug in APs at all?

Well but the point is that what is in the document is what should be in the device - leaving that out is a major lack of a needed function. Rather than a cut-and-paste error this seems like either a bug or a deliberate late-in-the-game change in the spec, perhaps due to running out of code space or time or ???

I don't think the Dual Mode wired devices are viewed as the primary phase coupler. With pluggable devices you can move them around until you get them on opposite 120V legs. Cannot move a wired device the same way. Of course one can change the position of the circuit breaker feeding the circuit that supplies the Dual Band wired device but I don't think Smarthome considers that a reasonable request to ask most users to achieve coupling.

Yes sometimes things don't match the documentation and I know of one device that didn't even match the Insteon Standard to resume its known status when power was lost and restored.

Can anyone verify if the 2457D2 Dual Band Lamplinc can do the phase bridge tests?

It manual says it can. Maybe its manual is also incorrect.

Can anyone verify if the 2457D2 Dual Band Lamplinc can do the phase bridge tests?

It manual says it can. Maybe its manual is also incorrect.

I can verify. I have started that test from Acess Points, dual-band PLMs and dual-band LampLincs and all could start test mode successfully.

• 2 weeks later...
I replied to you already over on the Smarthome user forum.

The hardware isn't defective, but the Owner's Manual is. Looks like they mistakenly included part of the instructions for the plug-in dual-band units. From what I've been told, the 2477D doesn't have its own quad-tap wireless test mode like the plug-in dual-band units have, you just get the flashing light if another dual-band device goes into test mode.

Thanks for the answer, but fortunately it turns out your are wrong. I called SmartHome and the guy went and tried it. He reported back that it worked but that he had difficulty at first. I then tried it again with him on the phone and could not make it work, so he was going to send me replacements. After I got off the phone I went to try it one more time. It turns out my problem was that with no tactile feedback that I was pushing the button I was waiting for the beep. If the beep happens you are pushing too slowly. You have to get the four pushes in with no feedback at all, which is made more difficult by the awkward need to use a tool to push with. I can do it now pretty reliably.

Archived