Groups versus Scenes

Algorithm

The user could program ISY to set a button's light On when the scene was True and Off when the scene was False, thus having the button lit when all members were Off (an All Off indicator).

I would argue that this is not desireable. It is counterintuitive to have a status light ON to indicate that devices are OFF. SH seems to agree since they provided a way to disable the status LED on the large bottom buttons of KeypadLincs.

My preferred method is to have only 1 status LED lit at any given time and no LEDs lit when everything is OFF. If no Scene LEDs are lit but 1 or more devices are still ON then the LED of the ALL OFF button should light to indicate that there are devices still active. Also pressing ANY lit button could turn all the lights OFF. (very intuitive even for people not familiar with the system).

The user could program ISY to set a button's light On when the scene was True and Off when the scene was False, thus having the button lit when all members were Off (an All Off indicator).

I would argue that this is not desireable. It is counterintuitive to have a status light ON to indicate that devices are OFF.

Well, I felt that way also when I moved from X-10 switches (light on when load on/light off when load off) to Insteon (Icon) switches (light on when load off/light off when load on).

SH seems to agree since they provided a way to disable the status LED on the large bottom buttons of KeypadLincs.

My preferred method is to have only 1 status LED lit at any given time and no LEDs lit when everything is OFF. If no Scene LEDs are lit but 1 or more devices are still ON then the LED of the ALL OFF button should light to indicate that there are devices still active. Also pressing ANY lit button could turn all the lights OFF. (very intuitive even for people not familiar with the system).

Can't argue with that. I guess what I was trying to say is that the user would have the option, simply by the logic used in his program, of having the LED indicate either way, including being mutually exclusive with the other scene LEDs.

Whichever state is chosen (if only one can be maintained), the other state can be found by user programming as is done now. So what say you, fellow forum members--which state should be maintained?

Not much response...

No, though perhaps this particular question has become redundant with the introduction of your unified scene theory :wink: . With that in place, the user can have both indications even if ISY maintains only a single scene state.

Now the question is, how much of this theory will be implemented, and when is it coming... :lol: ?

upstatemike and JAJ,

Apologies for a tardy reply ... as I mentioned before, we can maintain the state of a scene. We just have to make sure we're not doing something to confuse those who do not understand the Unified Scene Theory! As a matter of fact, this thread is added to the list of our enhancements.

With kind regards,

Michel

Whichever state is chosen (if only one can be maintained), the other state can be found by user programming as is done now. So what say you, fellow forum members--which state should be maintained?

Not much response...

No, though perhaps this particular question has become redundant with the introduction of your unified scene theory :wink: . With that in place, the user can have both indications even if ISY maintains only a single scene state.

Now the question is, how much of this theory will be implemented, and when is it coming... :lol: ?

Archived