Newbie with ISY99i and SH 2413S PLM and Linksys WCG200

qzrrbz

Just got shiny new parts and put a number of dimmers and on/off switches in the walls. They work fine, independently, nothing linked up. Wife aproves.

Now I try to set up the ISY99i and PLM I bought also. It seemed simple enough, just plug in a couple enet cables (in the right spots) and attach to wall and cable modem/router/switch (WCG200).

When I do so, the router pretty much ceases to function. My laptop also plugged in on the switch loses connectivity to the outside world, and eventually to anything on the 192.168.0 subnet that the switch provides.

I doubt this is normal! How do I troubleshoot just what the h*ll is going on here??? I'm working at a remote location, as in away from my collection of cables and other computer jock paraphrenalia, so I have precious little in the way of null modem serial cables and the like.

Any hints as to what might be going on here?

Thanks,

rnd

Hello rnd,

I do apologize for the inconvenience.

The first thing I would do is to power up ISY with all cables attached. Then, wait for your network cease to function. And, finally, remove the network cable from ISY and see if the network goes back to normal.

Also, did you try File | Enable Internet Access? If so, ISY may have created a port forwarding rule in your router for port 443. If you use SSL VPN, that might explain all the issues. If you cannot get on the network, then I am not sure how you can do File | Disable Internet Access without doing a factory reset on ISY.

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks for the thoughts on this.

Once my access goes down, I pretty much am 'wedged'. I have to disconnect the ISY99i, turn off my laptop, reboot the cable modem/router, and then reboot my laptop. Anything less seems to not get the world set back to rights.

So this thing pushes rules out to the cable modem/router? How can it do that??? The cable modem/router configuration is password protected; I didn't tell the ISY99i the password.

I have done several factory resets on the ISY99i and the PLM, but that doesn't seem to accomplish much. I'm not sure where the File|Enable... pick is that you mention. I don't have a null modem serial cable with me, unfortunately (lots at home, 800 miles away) and there isn't anywhere within 50 miles of here that would be likely to have one (remote Outer Banks beach house).

rnd

I don't mean to be dense here (see the "newbie" disclaimer), but the "Files" menu of what?

Please note that I can't even make my network access function when I plug this device in, so if it's the file menu of the controller app, I've never seen it... :-)

When in the Administrative Console.

On the top. File, Link Management, Tools, Help.

The file tab.

If you can't even get into the Administrative Console. Then I can understand why you may not be familiar to where it is.

Hello qzrrbz,

No, ISY does not send rules out to the router on its own UNLESS you have done File | Enable Internet Access. And, it seems that you cannot even get to Admin Console so that possibility is ruled out.

At this point, there are only two possibilities:

1. Defective unit

2. You have static IP address for some of your network devices and ISY is being assigned the same IP address

What is troubling is that the only way you can get your network back is to reboot EVERYTHING and not just ISY!

A stupid question: Are you certain that the PLM is connected to Port A of ISY and the Network Jack of ISY is connected to your router? There has been cases that PLM was connected to the Network Jack and router was connected to Port A with similar behavior.

With kind regards,

Michel

As an IT guy, I know that it is always wise to ask the "stupid question". Amazing how many times I get an, "uh... never mind" reply. :-)

Unless the ports are labeled incorrectly, the cable connections are as they should be.

I drove an hour to a Radio Shack and picked up about 100$ worth of pieces to make a null modem serial cable. I am able to see the ISY shell using that lashup, and I did the following. The "FR" to lart this thing back to factory, and then I assigned a static IP to him, thinking maybe his DHCP request format was breaking my idiot ancient cable modem/router box. I have Wireshark but no hub to see just what the h*ll is actually going across the network, so I don't know for sure that this idea has legs. At any rate, he got a static IP address, one that was out of range for dynamic allocation.

Still no joy. In fact a lot of wife abuse, as she had been "doing something" when I took the whole damn network down again.

This is getting to be *very* frustrating. An experienced buddy of mine suggested that he'd never seen any of this crap -- his stuff "just works".

For what it's worth, the firmware build is back level on the ISY; it's 2.7.xx, and not the latest (stable) 2.8.16; I'd considered updating that, but I suspect I *really* have to have a functional network to do so.

My next plan is to get a more modern cable modem/router (I had one, but it only had one LAN jack, and my VOIP device uses that!). I bought a small switch to fan that one port out, so I can see if more modern hardware upstream will tolerate whatever the ISY is doing to it.

Other than that, with wife approval rating in the pits at the moment, this is looking like it's going to have to go back unless I figure out WTH is going on!

YES! Newbie is now dangerous... :-)

What it pointed to was what a POS the 5 yr old Linksys gear was. I have a new Motorola cable modem/router, and a little Netgear 5 port switch downstream from that (as the Moto only presents one network port). Now all is gravy -- it works. The network doesn't get wedged. I still see some oddities, as in the "Power" LED is *off* on the ISY99i (WUWT?), but everything is working.

I successfully updated to 2.8.16, using my now functional network. I entered my couple dozen devices *mostly* successfully. I have a couple in a far reach of the house that won't enable. I suspect that I need a repeater somewhere nearby? I would think I have enough devices that phase spanning should be working. Here is where I stop understanding what to do with this problem.

I also have mostly v.38 devices. I'm pretty sure that I've read that v.38 is a bad thing, so I'd like confirmation and suggestions as to what I should do about this.

Thanks!

Looking forward to playing with all my shining new toys... :-)

OK ... have gone back and RTFF's and it seems v.35 is the problematic version, of which I have none, so I guess, with respect to this question, "never mind". :-)

That only leaves the "Power LED off when running" oddity, and the "why can't I get to several devices" question.

Hello qzrrbz,

Power LED is a defect; in short, your power LED should be ON as long as ISY gets power. If you have purchased your unit from SmartHome, please ask them to cross ship a unit for you. You can still continue doing your programming on this unit, backup, and simply restore on the new unit.

There are usually two reasons for not being able to get to devices:

1. Noise

2. Signal Strength/phase

Are you sure all your devices are on the same phase and, if NOT, do you have any access points to bridge the phases?

With kind regards,

Michel

Yes, this gear was all from SmartHome. I will do what you suggest tomorrow during normal business hours... :-)

I'm betting on noise, as I have about 10 dual band devices in the house; I can't calculate the odds that they're all on the same phase, but I'm doubting it. No, I don't have any AP's for bridging; what is that SmartHome part number?

The room with the "dead" devices has a lot of hardware in it -- it's a theater room. I have all of that on a surge supressor (not the Insteon devices, of course...), so I thought that should be at least helpful in toning down the noise levels. What else can I do in this situation?

Thanks!

The room with the "dead" devices has a lot of hardware in it -- it's a theater room. I have all of that on a surge suppressor (not the Insteon devices, of course...), so I thought that should be at least helpful in toning down the noise levels. What else can I do in this situation?

The Smarthome FilterLinc should be used to isolated devices which are either generating noise or attenuating (signal suckers) the Insteon signals.

I agree with the conclusion that that number of Dual Band devices are likely coupling the 2 129V legs. It should be verified that there are Dual Band devices on both 120V legs and they are capable of hearing each other. Always best to verify but I would be very surprised if they are not spread across both 120V legs. That does not in and of itself insure they are capable of receiving each other’s RF signals.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm back on site again, trying to make it all work!

I've added two APs and had them both do the phase sensing dance as described in TFM. All seems good there. I've added a FilterLinc in front of all the home theater equipment, and now I *can* get the HT light switch to link up.

My question at this point -- are APs capable of being added as a "New Visteon Device"? My gut sense says no (empirical evidence agrees :wink: ), as I don't know what function linking would serve with such a device.

Archived