SocketTimeoutException

Algorithm

Recently I added a somewhat large group of programs, which made the total number of programs quite large. Since then, every time I open the Administrative Console (opens fine) and then click on the Program Summary tab, I get an error dialog 'Socket open failed java.net.SocketTimeoutException', but only the first time I go to that tab. How to rectify?

Joe, I'm curious. How many programs did it take to do that?

Aw, I was afraid someone would ask! :oops:

Okay, I just did a quick count (counted one page, multiplied by number of pages) and came up with around 230. But I added roughly 20 of those today, and the error started when the previous group (which was most of them--about 200?) was added.

But wow... what kind of programs are you running? I'd love to steal some ideas. :)

The bulk of these are X-10 triggers! From a standard PalmPad, I can directly control up to 64 discrete devices (I have just over 50) plus up to 48 distinct scenes.

One might think it would be difficult to remember what numbers do what, but I've found it quite easy. Then again, I've been doing it for many years using X-10. [Of course, I have much simpler controls set up for use by others :lol: .] If anyone is really interested in my modest scheme, I could write it up as an example.

Okay, I just did a quick count (counted one page, multiplied by number of pages) and came up with around 230.

That gave me pause. Michel/Chris, what (if any) is the limit for the number of programs in ISY-26? If it is something like 256, then I'll be pushing it very soon--do you still have any ISY-99 beta units? :wink:

Just Another Joe!

Yes, you might be pushing the limit! But, this does not explain why you would get socket open failed error which is something we have to investigate. Would you be kind enough to export your programs and send us a a copy? Of course, this has to wait till after the New Year but it's surely something we would like to rectify or find the source thereof.

With kind regards,

Michel

Okay, I just did a quick count (counted one page, multiplied by number of pages) and came up with around 230.

That gave me pause. Michel/Chris, what (if any) is the limit for the number of programs in ISY-26? If it is something like 256, then I'll be pushing it very soon--do you still have any ISY-99 beta units? :wink:

Just Another Joe!

Yes, you might be pushing the limit! But, this does not explain why you would get socket open failed error which is something we have to investigate. Would you be kind enough to export your programs and send us a a copy?

Programs sent. The error also occurs if Program Details tab (in addition to Program Summary tab) is selected first after startup--but only once each startup.

Seriously, I'm just getting started and expect many more programs. Is the limit a fixed number of programs, or a fixed amount of memory, or something else? I truly may need to upgrade if the 99 has greater capacity.

JAJ,

Thanks ... I received your programs; thanks!

It has to do with the amount of memory used for each program. If you need more you should surely consider 99i PRO series.

With kind regards,

Michel

Just Another Joe!

Yes, you might be pushing the limit! But, this does not explain why you would get socket open failed error which is something we have to investigate. Would you be kind enough to export your programs and send us a a copy?

Programs sent. The error also occurs if Program Details tab (in addition to Program Summary tab) is selected first after startup--but only once each startup.

Seriously, I'm just getting started and expect many more programs. Is the limit a fixed number of programs, or a fixed amount of memory, or something else? I truly may need to upgrade if the 99 has greater capacity.

I too got the same java.net.SocketTimeoutException error.

I've only gotten the error once and have not yet been able to replicate it.

I am using the 99i/IR Pro.

I have 7 programs and approx. 280-300 total links.

I reported the error in another thread since I was having other issues.

http://forum.universal-devices.com/view ... =5140#5140

I don't know if the other issues I reported are related to the Socket Timeout error.

Regards.

Hello blartyo,

If you are on a wireless computer, you might get these two errors when the connection is broken between your laptop and your router.

With kind regards,

Michel

I too got the same java.net.SocketTimeoutException error.

I've only gotten the error once and have not yet been able to replicate it.

I am using the 99i/IR Pro.

I have 7 programs and approx. 280-300 total links.

I reported the error in another thread since I was having other issues.

http://forum.universal-devices.com/view ... =5140#5140

I don't know if the other issues I reported are related to the Socket Timeout error.

Regards.

A little additional information; don't know whether it will help.

When I click on the Program Summary tab after starting the Administrative Console, the pointer changes to an hourglass, and it takes quite some time until the tab appears. During that time, I see the Error box outline appear, but it is empty. Only after the tab appears, are the Error box contents filled in. BUT, also during that time I see a System Busy box outline appear with no contents. This box disappears before any content is displayed in it. Don't know if that tells you anything new, Michel.

Hello JAJ,

Thanks for the update ... it tells us that ISY is busy doing something!

We'll get to the bottom of it soon.

With kind regards,

Michel

A little additional information; don't know whether it will help.

When I click on the Program Summary tab after starting the Administrative Console, the pointer changes to an hourglass, and it takes quite some time until the tab appears. During that time, I see the Error box outline appear, but it is empty. Only after the tab appears, are the Error box contents filled in. BUT, also during that time I see a System Busy box outline appear with no contents. This box disappears before any content is displayed in it. Don't know if that tells you anything new, Michel.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

After upgrading my 26 to 2.6.3 all was well for several hours and then I started to receive "Socket open failed java.lang.NullPointer Exception" when I tried to save a program or just manually issue a command.

I rebooted, emptyed the temp files in the Java console and now, instead of the error above, I get " No Such Session, Login Again" every time I do anything. What's happening?

brobin,

Very sorry for the problems you are having. When you cleared your Java cache, was the ISY Administrative Console open?

Please try clearing the Java cache with the Admin Console closed. Also, what is your Java version?

Please also check for firewall/antivirus and communication issues. Are you using a wireless connection?

Thanks,

• 4 months later...

After upgrading to 2.6.6 I'm now getting 'Socket open failed java.net.SocketTimeoutException' every time I try to add a new device or add a device to a scene. I have cleared the Java Cache and I'm not using a wireless connection. I also factory reset the ISY and PLM and the problem went a way for a little while and came right back. The only thing I have not tried is changing my router and/or ip address.

It seems that configuring my router to assign another IP via a permanent lease resolved the issue. I can recreate the problem by setting it back to the old ip but can't seem to create it with the new ip. I'm totally confused to why the ip address would cause the socket open failed error.

Hello MasterMog,

First of all, thanks so very much for the update and apologies for the inconvenience.

The only thing that I can think of is that ISY has an IP conflict with something else. Do you have Internet Access enabled?

With kind regards,

Michel

It seems that configuring my router to assign another IP via a permanent lease resolved the issue. I can recreate the problem by setting it back to the old ip but can't seem to create it with the new ip. I'm totally confused to why the ip address would cause the socket open failed error.

Hi Michel,

Yes, I do have Internet Access enabled. Also, there is no need to apologize because the ISY-99 is a great device and the best way to take advantage of Insteon technology. I used it with mControl and have been very satisfied so this problem was minor in the scheme of things.

MasterMog,

Thanks so very much. If you have Internet Access enabled, then perhaps you have port 443/80 forwarded for another device in your LAN? That usually causes a lot of conflict (even on the local LAN). Is this possible?

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michel,

Yes, I do have Internet Access enabled. Also, there is no need to apologize because the ISY-99 is a great device and the best way to take advantage of Insteon technology. I used it with mControl and have been very satisfied so this problem was minor in the scheme of things.

Michel,

I checked and don't have 443/80 forwarded anywhere else. This problem has me stumped because I still can't use the original IP that was initally assigned without getting the socket failed error but the new one is working fine.

Thanks

Mack

MasterMog,

Thanks so very much. If you have Internet Access enabled, then perhaps you have port 443/80 forwarded for another device in your LAN? That usually causes a lot of conflict (even on the local LAN). Is this possible?

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michel,

Hi Mack,

So am I totally lost. The ONLY explanation is if you have another device on your network with the same IP. But, even so, that device should also be a UPnP enabled device. So, basically, I am not sure what else could cause this. Nonetheless, we shall surely consider this as an anomaly that has to be investigated more thoroughly.

Thanks so very much for your feedback,

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

I checked and don't have 443/80 forwarded anywhere else. This problem has me stumped because I still can't use the original IP that was initally assigned without getting the socket failed error but the new one is working fine.

Thanks

Mack

MasterMog,

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michel,

Archived