"Load" checkbox in Device Properties

yardman 49

Hello Michel and everyone:

1) What exactly does the "Load" checkbox in the Device Properties view do? I always assumed that maybe it was just a handy way to identify if an Insteon device was actually hooked to a load.

Is this all that it really means? Or does it have some other, more useful functionality?

2) When I first added all of my KPLs to the ISY-26, I had set all those flags for "Load". But I just went back in and checked them all for the first time in a long while, and....they had all been mysteriously de-selected!

I don't know if this happened during a firmware revision or not. If it did, I don't know which one. I had set them all to "Load" back under 2.4.13, I think. I'm on 2.6 now. All I know is that I had never de-selected them.

Thanks

Really this "Device Properties" window is a little misleading, it really is a "Device Details" window for the Typology Table. It has no actual properties functionality, because nothing behaves differently with anything changed in this window.

As for the resetting of your data, that would be a mystery because nothing controls this data it's all entered but the user.

Once there was a quick discussion (I think it was Rand that mentioned it) about how the INSTEON protocol had some device callback that could check if there was an actual load wired to a device, but I am not sure about this. If so, the detail could be preset buy the ISY.

AFAIK, the Device Properties are only used for the Topology.

I have never 'lost' the properties by upgrading. I have to believe that they are stored in the backup files. Perhaps you 'rolled back' somewhere. It's a beta thing :)

Mark, the only devices I am sure send a NAK when no load is connected are the LampLincs. That is supposed to notify the controller that a lamp has been unplugged, turned off, or burned out.

It's a good idea, but I am not sure it's something the ISY wants to count on. I don't believe any other Insteon devices support this feature.

Rand

Hello Frank,

Rand and Mark have already answered (correctly) the device properties' utility. Now, let's get back to the question of losing your properties since this might be a bug:

In the past, have you replaced any of the KPLs (using the replace method)?

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello Michel and everyone:

1) What exactly does the "Load" checkbox in the Device Properties view do? I always assumed that maybe it was just a handy way to identify if an Insteon device was actually hooked to a load.

Is this all that it really means? Or does it have some other, more useful functionality?

2) When I first added all of my KPLs to the ISY-26, I had set all those flags for "Load". But I just went back in and checked them all for the first time in a long while, and....they had all been mysteriously de-selected!

I don't know if this happened during a firmware revision or not. If it did, I don't know which one. I had set them all to "Load" back under 2.4.13, I think. I'm on 2.6 now. All I know is that I had never de-selected them.

Thanks

Hello Frank,

Hello Michel:

No, I haven't done a KPL replace. In fact, I haven't used the Replace function at all, yet.

Which brings up another slightly off-topic question: even though I have ISY 2.6, I still don't see any way to "Replace" a Remotelinc. I have had to replace one already, back when I was using ISY 2.4.15. I looked at that time for a "Replace" function for my Remotelinc after I had added a new one. But there was no such feature to be found, either in a right-click menu, or in the top menu bar.

I still don't see that function in 2.6.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks

Hi Frank,

Are you aware that you should first add the new RemoteLinc to ISY before attempting a replace?

Has anyone else has this problem?

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello Frank,

Hello Michel:

No, I haven't done a KPL replace. In fact, I haven't used the Replace function at all, yet.

Which brings up another slightly off-topic question: even though I have ISY 2.6, I still don't see any way to "Replace" a Remotelinc. I have had to replace one already, back when I was using ISY 2.4.15. I looked at that time for a "Replace" function for my Remotelinc after I had added a new one. But there was no such feature to be found, either in a right-click menu, or in the top menu bar.

I still don't see that function in 2.6.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks

Hello Michel:

Yes, I had done this back on 2.4.15.

I currently have two RemoteLinc in my system. If "Replace" works like the other devices' "Replace" function, I would think that I should be able to right-click on either RemoteLinc, select "Replace ......with", and find the other one present in my system, as appears in the following example with a KPL:

186d00016e.jpg

The problem is that "Replace.....with" doesn't even appear when I right click a Remotelinc. In other words, the function is simply not present in the right-click menu for the Remotelincs. But it is present for all my other devices.

When I right-click a RTL, this is all I see:

b9aef56f40.jpg

So I'm guessing that I must be doing something wrong?

Thanks and Best wishes,

Archived