Unstable communications

vandede

I've been using Insteon 2413s PLM / Isy99Pro for 3 years successfully with 15 devices. I run v3.1.4.

1 week ago everything became unstable, with no apparent reason. I no longer get current state for all the devices and can't communicate with 1/2 the devices. I don't know where to start because we use iPads / iPhones (MobiLinc Pro - I shut them all down in case they were hanging up the system), haven't changed anything in the electrical system to cause "noise", the PLM and Isy99 tables appear to be in synch, nothing unusual in the logs, etc.

I did get a message the PLM started in safe mode, but the PLM links table appears to be ok. I can get to some devices inconsistently but it takes a minute for them to react.

I've rebooted everything to no avail. Should I restore (with factory reset) the PLM? Or restore the Isy with a previous backup? Or buy a new PLM?

Thoughts? I love Insteon and the Isy but trouble shooting is painful and time consuming.

I appreciate your insights.

Hello vandede,

I am so very sorry to hear.

Whatever you do please do NOT factory reset ISY as it will not solve communications issues. The first thing I recommend is to unplug your Thermostats if you have any. If you do not have thermostats, then I suggest getting a replacement for your PLM and see if you can communicate with your devices.

Also, it's usually a device (especially a transformer or power supply) that may have gone bad. So, as a test, you might want to move your PLM to a new location and see if that helps. And, finally, you might have a defective Access Point which used to bridge your phases but it no longer does.

With kind regards,

Michele

Michel - appreciate your response. Unfortunately your recommendation for trouble shooting is just buy replacement devices and then "trial and error". All very time consuming.

Are you referring to a bad Insteon device with a bad transformer or power supply?

I use Proliphix for my thermostats so that's not the issue.

I do have 3 other access points.

I'm still surprised there isn't a more efficient, economical way to trouble shoot these networks.

Thanks

Hello vandede,

I totally understand.

Unfortunately till someone decides to make a diagnostic tool or till such time that SmartHome decides that it's necessary for any tool to be able to measure signal to noise ratio from device to device, we are stuck with trial and error.

As far as transformers, I meant transformers for other devices such as low voltage lighting, computers, monitors, and even old power supplies. Anything in the vicinity of the PLM that could induce noise or suck INSTEON signals.

The questions I have are:

1. Do you have consistent communication errors with the same set of devices all the time?

2. If not, does it depend on time of day?

3. Is it possible to move the PLM to an outlet on a different phase? If so, and if the problem moves from one set of devices to another set, then I suspect that one of the Access Points that was bridging the phases has gone bad

With kind regards,

Michel

Archived