ISY-99i - Intermittent Behavior & Java Socket Error

gsownsby

I've had my ISY-99i for a while along with a heavy investment in Insteon devices from SmartHome. For the most part the ISY-99i just does its thing and I hardly notice it. Of late, I did notice that lights were not turning on/off at programmed times, etc. No one single Insteon device seems to be at fault but more of systemic issue which brings me to the ISY-99i itself. So with the holiday season approaching, I started examining the ISY-99i.

First, the ISY-99i was impossible to connect with though it had been in the same location/connection/hub since I installed it. I tried connecting to it from several PCs in our "PC-loaded" household...no joy from any PC. There are also NO trouble lights on the ISY-99i.

I relocated it and connected directly to my main router (Apple Airport Extreme) but still no joy. I turned my PC's wi-fi card on (normally I work with a 1GB USB network adapter) and could access the ISY-99i. After it ran through its normal checks of defined Insteon devices, it stops and throws a Java socket error and that's it. It does not really work after that. Clicking on individual Insteon devices does not produce any on/off/dim options on the right of the screen...just an empty area.

The Java socket error seems to be the kiss of death for the ISY-99i. I have tried to restore it to the factory default but nothing seems to bring it back to proper operating condition. It will also not load configuration backups that I have made often.

Any thoughts on this? Is it officially dead and time to get a new one? Ugh...expensive problem fix. I've not had the ISY-99i all that long and I'm a bit concerned about another one having a relatively short lifespan as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or thoughts you may have on this.

Hello gsownsby,

Apologies for the inconvenience.

The fact that you can only access your ISY via a specific interface (your PC's WiFi card) tells me that perhaps ISY has a static IP address which is specific to your computer's network. If this is the case, the first thing we have to do is put ISY on DHCP so that you can access it from all your network attached computers/devices.

Java socket error means that ISY is no longer responding. This could be very much related to the above but please do let me know:

1. Do you ELK security system and do you use ISY to communicate with it?

2. What's your ISY's firmware version?

With kind regards,

Michel