Release 3.1.12 (Beta) Is Now Available

Michel Kohanim

I recently just got around to setting up my Elk system. As of yesterday, I had 3.1.10 on the ISY and it was working with the Elk well. I was just in the beginning stages of integrating the two, but things were working well. I was able to Arm/Disarm, control lighting, and trigger rules in the Elk.

Last night I upgraded to 3.1.12 and purchased the Elk module. Now, I can't get anything to work between the two. The ISY system is *extremely* sluggish. Just navigating around the console has been almost unresponsive at times. I have tried rebooting the ISY module between every configuration change (security code, no security code, re-Export Lighting, etc) with ElkRP connected and disconnected. I have tried rebooting the ELK-M1XEP. I have cleared my Java and web browser cache between each launch of the ISY Admin console.

I do eventually get an error message: Socket Open Failed: java.net.SocketTimeoutException.

The ISY Error Log shows a lot of these lines:

Thu 2011/11/17 08:56:01 System -170001 [uDSockets] HTTP:29 error:6

Thu 2011/11/17 08:56:01 System -170001 [uDSockets] HTTP:30 error:6

Thu 2011/11/17 08:56:05 System -170001 [uDSockets] HTTP:29 error:6

Thu 2011/11/17 08:56:05 System -170001 [uDSockets] HTTP:30 error:6

I have several questions:

What is the security code that I should enter? I didn't need one before the Elk module. I have tried a User code as well as the ElkRP code. Neither seems to work.

What else can be done to troubleshoot?

None of my ISY programs are listed any longer either.

I do not mind doing whatever I can to help. I am very excited about the new module and look forward to playing with it more.

I recently just got around to setting up my Elk system. As of yesterday, I had 3.1.10 on the ISY and it was working with the Elk well. I was just in the beginning stages of integrating the two, but things were working well. I was able to Arm/Disarm, control lighting, and trigger rules in the Elk.

Last night I upgraded to 3.1.12 and purchased the Elk module. Now, I can't get anything to work between the two. The ISY system is *extremely* sluggish. Just navigating around the console has been almost unresponsive at times. I have tried rebooting the ISY module between every configuration change (security code, no security code, re-Export Lighting, etc) with ElkRP connected and disconnected. I have tried rebooting the ELK-M1XEP. I have cleared my Java and web browser cache between each launch of the ISY Admin console.

I do eventually get an error message: Socket Open Failed: java.net.SocketTimeoutException.

The ISY Error Log shows a lot of these lines:

Thu 2011/11/17 08:56:01 System -170001 [uDSockets] HTTP:29 error:6

Thu 2011/11/17 08:56:01 System -170001 [uDSockets] HTTP:30 error:6

Thu 2011/11/17 08:56:05 System -170001 [uDSockets] HTTP:29 error:6

Thu 2011/11/17 08:56:05 System -170001 [uDSockets] HTTP:30 error:6

I have several questions:

What is the security code that I should enter? I didn't need one before the Elk module. I have tried a User code as well as the ElkRP code. Neither seems to work.

What else can be done to troubleshoot?

None of my ISY programs are listed any longer either.

I do not mind doing whatever I can to help. I am very excited about the new module and look forward to playing with it more.

The security code is the code you use to disarm the system.

Under configuration of the security system, make sure you have enabled checked.

Power cycle the isy and elk alarm panel.

Make sure your network cables are good. Sometimes they go bad on upgrades, not because of the upgrade, but it was just their time.

I have power cycled the Elk M1 and the ISY after checking all the settings on the ISY and making sure it was enabled. I also cleared Java and browser cache files.

Still no change. I don't see any of my programs, ISY interface is still very sluggish, and nothing between the ISY and Elk seems to be working.

All of the networking looks good and I've swapped out cables with known good ones.

Any other suggestions? I can certainly downgrade and restore, but I'd rather help with the troubleshooting if it will be useful.

I have power cycled the Elk M1 and the ISY after checking all the settings on the ISY and making sure it was enabled. I also cleared Java and browser cache files.

Still no change. I don't see any of my programs, ISY interface is still very sluggish, and nothing between the ISY and Elk seems to be working.

All of the networking looks good and I've swapped out cables with known good ones.

Any other suggestions? I can certainly downgrade and restore, but I'd rather help with the troubleshooting if it will be useful.

Have you tried clearing your java cache?

It's always best to use http://www.universal-devices.com/99i/3.1.12/admin.jnlp (after clearing your Java cache, as per Michel.)

I have been clearing my cache between every launch of the ISY admin console.

I tried using the jnlp from universal-devices. I now see my programs, but still nothing is working between Elk and ISY. Also, the ISY console is still extremely laggy.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm contemplating a downgrade, restore, upgrade but I'd like to keep the system as it is for a little longer in case it is useful to anyone for troubleshooting.

I have been clearing my cache between every launch of the ISY admin console.

I tried using the jnlp from universal-devices. I now see my programs, but still nothing is working between Elk and ISY. Also, the ISY console is still extremely laggy.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm contemplating a downgrade, restore, upgrade but I'd like to keep the system as it is for a little longer in case it is useful to anyone for troubleshooting.

Try using this from Michel

http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1103

I had followed that link to get the initial Elk/ISY integration working when I was running 3.1.10. This is a new build for me (hence the lack of urgency to revert), but I did have things fully working at 3.1.10 without the new Elk module. I believe this is related to either 3.1.12 or the Elk module and something about my environment since other people have not had issues.

I have had a recurring issue with my ISY since day one where it loses Email address configurations and can't be backed up unless I remove the file /conf/mail/1.not. Since I'm not doing much with email notifications, I haven't made a big issue of it. I don't believe it is related to the current Elk/3.1.12 issue.

Upgraded from 3.1.10 to 3.1.12 and installed Elk module without any issues. ISY correctly sees Elk areas and zones. New ISY programs to monitor and report Elk zone changes seem to be working just fine.

Thanks UDI! Santa came early this year.

Hmm! No I didn't, haven't needed to before. I'll try it when I get home this afternoon. I'm actually getting a different error message each time I login in now. Sometimes it's the Request Failed, sometimes it's "Subscriber didn't reply to Event: 1" and other times I get an SSL error. It doesn't seem to affect how the ISY works. Once you click OK on the error everything seems fine, programs work, lights turn and off etc. The Admin Console seems functional. My Error Log is really large now with many

10108 Check Log

10011 n/a

170001 [Auth -10104 or -10011]

repeating over and over again. MobiLinc HD works fine.

Got a response to my ticket, the issue has been root caused and UDI is working on a fix now.

I upgraded to 3.1.12 remotely without any problems. I did follow the instructions to remove and re-add my tstat per the release notes. When I did i observed that when editing my devices the changes would not take effect until I close my browser and logged back in. Perhaps this is because I was remotely connected. I am at back home now, so I will reports any similar behavior if I see it.

I also upgraded to the v2.3 stat adapter late last week. Upon reboot (hard and soft) of the ISY the humidity is sometimes first reported at 170. A manual query of the tstat corrects the humidity. I can't imagine I have Insteon communication issues as my network as been stable for better than a year.

Elvis

UPDATE

I can actually get the tstat to report 170 approx. 50% of the time when I manually query the stat.

Thu 11/17/2011 14:47:11 : [ 14 66 F4 1] CLIHUM 53

Thu 11/17/2011 14:47:18 : [ 14 66 F4 1] CLIHUM 170

Thu 11/17/2011 14:47:28 : [ 14 66 F4 1] CLIHUM 53

Thu 11/17/2011 14:48:08 : [ 14 66 F4 1] CLIHUM 54

Thu 11/17/2011 14:48:08 : [ 14 66 F4 1] CLIHUM 170

Thu 11/17/2011 14:48:14 : [ 14 66 F4 1] CLIHUM 54

Hello all,

Sincere apologies for the late response.

As andyf0 mentioned, we found the issue with Request Failed or otherwise error dialog at start up.

chuck_b, please note that you need to have latest version of ELK firmware and ensure that the access code is entered. If you are still having problems, please do contact our support and we'll log in remotely to see what's going on. We found an issue where ISY would try getting the topology from ELK while ELK would not respond properly (older ELK versions).

polexian, we will look into ...

elvisimprsntr, are your ELK information being updated locally? The humidity sensor on your thermostat; can you please let me know how this can be reproduced?

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello all,

elvisimprsntr, are your ELK information being updated locally? The humidity sensor on your thermostat; can you please let me know how this can be reproduced?

With kind regards,

Michel

Everything is being observed on my local WLAN.

In my case i can duplicate the problem by simply manually query the tstat. 50% of the time the humidity is reported by the adapter as 170. (see previous post) All other values are reported correctly.

Hello all,

With kind regards,

Michel

Everything is being observed on my local WLAN.

In my case i can duplicate the problem by simply manually query the tstat. 50% of the time the humidity is reported by the adapter as 170. (see previous post) All other values are reported correctly.

Your Cool Setpoint is set to 85 degrees, right? (humidity reports 2 x Cool Setpoint) I believe this is a Venstar adapter bug that has been around ever since I first got mine 2 versions ago and they (Smarthome) still haven't fixed it.

The good news is if you don't do manual queries it won't happen much.

After upgrading I noticed that many of the device names within the code of the programs where listed as

W.

This happened to me once before. I backed up my isy, restored a backup before the upgrade. If this doesn't work, then you might have to go into your programs and put your devices back in.

Joe

Michel,

Caught your note regarding the ELK Firmware. After upgrading to 3.1.12, the ISY cannot communicate with my ELK (ELK addon module is not yet installed). I get looping retry errors in both the Event Monitor and the Error log:

Event Monitor

Thu 11/17/2011 07:34:51 PM : [Elk ] ELK-WAIT Waiting for retry 1 of 3 [0Bsd18002005C\r\n]

Thu 11/17/2011 07:34:59 PM : [Elk ] ELK-WAIT Waiting for retry 2 of 3 [0Bsd18002005C\r\n]

Thu 11/17/2011 07:35:08 PM : [Elk ] ELK-WAIT Waiting for retry 3 of 3 [0Bsd18002005C\r\n]

Thu 11/17/2011 07:35:27 PM : [Elk ] ELK-WAIT Waiting for retry 1 of 3 [0Bsd18003005B\r\n]

Thu 11/17/2011 07:35:35 PM : [Elk ] ELK-WAIT Waiting for retry 2 of 3 [0Bsd18003005B\r\n]

Thu 11/17/2011 07:35:44 PM : [Elk ] ELK-WAIT Waiting for retry 3 of 3 [0Bsd18003005B\r\n]

Error Log

Thu 2011/11/17 07:33:16 PM System -170001 [Network] Established

Thu 2011/11/17 07:34:28 PM System -170001 [uDSockets] HTTP:31 error:6

Thu 2011/11/17 07:34:32 PM System -170001 [uDSockets] HTTP:31 error:6

Thu 2011/11/17 07:34:37 PM System -170001 [uDSockets] HTTP:31 error:6

Thu 2011/11/17 07:34:41 PM System -170001 [uDSockets] HTTP:31 error:6

Thu 2011/11/17 07:34:46 PM System -170001 [uDSockets] HTTP:31 error:6

Thu 2011/11/17 07:34:50 PM System -170001 [uDSockets] HTTP:31 error:6

Reverting to 3.1.10 corrects the issue. My ELK firmware is at 5.1.20. Is the older firmware an issue even without the ELK Module Installed? I fully plan on purchasing the ELK module. Just trying to make sure I don't have a different problem.

IM

....please note that you need to have latest version of ELK firmware and ensure that the access code is entered...

Michel,

Caught your note regarding the ELK Firmware. After upgrading to 3.1.12, the ISY cannot communicate with my ELK (ELK addon module is not yet installed). I get looping retry errors in both the Event Monitor and the Error log:

Event Monitor

Thu 11/17/2011 07:34:51 PM : [Elk ] ELK-WAIT Waiting for retry 1 of 3 [0Bsd18002005C\r\n]

Thu 11/17/2011 07:34:59 PM : [Elk ] ELK-WAIT Waiting for retry 2 of 3 [0Bsd18002005C\r\n]

Thu 11/17/2011 07:35:08 PM : [Elk ] ELK-WAIT Waiting for retry 3 of 3 [0Bsd18002005C\r\n]

Thu 11/17/2011 07:35:27 PM : [Elk ] ELK-WAIT Waiting for retry 1 of 3 [0Bsd18003005B\r\n]

Thu 11/17/2011 07:35:35 PM : [Elk ] ELK-WAIT Waiting for retry 2 of 3 [0Bsd18003005B\r\n]

Thu 11/17/2011 07:35:44 PM : [Elk ] ELK-WAIT Waiting for retry 3 of 3 [0Bsd18003005B\r\n]

Error Log

Thu 2011/11/17 07:33:16 PM System -170001 [Network] Established

Thu 2011/11/17 07:34:28 PM System -170001 [uDSockets] HTTP:31 error:6

Thu 2011/11/17 07:34:32 PM System -170001 [uDSockets] HTTP:31 error:6

Thu 2011/11/17 07:34:37 PM System -170001 [uDSockets] HTTP:31 error:6

Thu 2011/11/17 07:34:41 PM System -170001 [uDSockets] HTTP:31 error:6

Thu 2011/11/17 07:34:46 PM System -170001 [uDSockets] HTTP:31 error:6

Thu 2011/11/17 07:34:50 PM System -170001 [uDSockets] HTTP:31 error:6

Reverting to 3.1.10 corrects the issue. My ELK firmware is at 5.1.20. Is the older firmware an issue even without the ELK Module Installed? I fully plan on purchasing the ELK module. Just trying to make sure I don't have a different problem.

IM

....please note that you need to have latest version of ELK firmware and ensure that the access code is entered...

I had the same problem. I upgraded to 3.1.12 from 2.8.16 and noticed that the Elk status bar at the top of the Admin console was gone. After several different troubleshooting steps I decided to purchase the Elk module anyway. After installing the elk module, still no communication with the elk. To make a long story short. I NEEDED to put a valid Elk keypad code in the Elk setup area. In 2.8.16 this was not necessary. After typing in the code and saving, I clicked on the Elk tab and after a second or two all of my Elk panel zones, area, outputs, etc were able to be viewed. I was able to turn on and off some outputs as a test. This is all I have tested so far. It seems to work so far...

Edit: I currently have an Elk zone status triggering a program in the ISY. No elk rules needed! This is going to be great for those few Elk owners that are low on Elk memory, a great value for $99 retail.

This happened to me once before. I backed up my isy, restored a backup before the upgrade. If this doesn't work, then you might have to go into your programs and put your devices back in. Joe

It appears that at least one device was missing. So after the upgrade the 240V N/C relay was missing from the device list and

programs that used it were affected. I tried restoring the backup but it didn't help, I then tried reinstalling the previous version

of software and still no luck. I actually had to add that device back into the ISY and fix the programs manually.

W.

i installed the Elk module. everything seems to be working, including the voltage and zone status. I discovered that I had to export and import the lighting into the Elk, then tweak my Elk event and time based lighting rules since the indexes changed. My Elk lighting rules are working again. But now the Elk module is no longer reporting area status, zone status or voltages. I have tried rebooting my ISY the symptoms remain. I confirmed the Elk config settings.

UPDATE

I cleared java cache again even though I had cleared cache after upgrading to 3.1.12 and the Elk module. Now the Elk area/zone information is reflected in the admin console.

elk.tiff

Hello gatchel,

Thank you for the info. I'll give the code a try. I had assumed that since it was working in previous revisions, the ISY "remembered" the code.

I had the same problem. I upgraded to 3.1.12 from 2.8.16 and noticed that the Elk status bar at the top of the Admin console was gone. After several different troubleshooting steps I decided to purchase the Elk module anyway. After installing the elk module, still no communication with the elk. To make a long story short. I NEEDED to put a valid Elk keypad code in the Elk setup area. In 2.8.16 this was not necessary. After typing in the code and saving, I clicked on the Elk tab and after a second or two all of my Elk panel zones, area, outputs, etc were able to be viewed. I was able to turn on and off some outputs as a test. This is all I have tested so far. It seems to work so far...

Edit: I currently have an Elk zone status triggering a program in the ISY. No elk rules needed! This is going to be great for those few Elk owners that are low on Elk memory, a great value for $99 retail.