Insteon 2476D Dimmer and Rope lighting acting funny

sectechie

I recently hooked my cove lighting (incandescent rope lighting) to a Insteon 2476D dimmer and it will not turn the rope lighting completely off. Has anyone else run into this? Prior to hooking the lighting up to the dimmer I had it fed through a dimmable receptacle and it worked perfectly fine.

Any ideas? My guess is it's the dimmer, but do I need to get a special dimmer for this to work right?

Thanks for your time!

Ed

I think it is almost certainly the dimmer. This sounds a lot like the problem with some of the insteon devices with "sense", where they allow a small current through in order to detect when connected devices are turned on manually. Unfortunately, I don't think the switchlinc dimmer is one that has this capability, nor would I expect an incandescent rope light to exhibit this problem.

I can only guess a failed device. This sure sounds like a strange failure mode, if this turns out to be the case.

Oberkc,

Thanks for the advice on the dimmer, I was thinking it was the dimmer too expecially since the dimmable receptacle worked fine when hooked up to the same lighting.

Another quick question, how can I find an address of switchlinc dimmer 2476D using the isy-99i?

Thanks again!

Ed

yes, that makes sense. there is a "start linking" button when you are logged into the ISY, putting the ISY into linking mode. while in this mode, press-and-hold the upper button of the switchlinc. after a few seconds, it will beep, flash, and your ISY device listing should have your new (used) switchlinc.

If you are new to all this, I suggest checking out the wiki. It will go through all these steps, and more.

If it is used. I would do a factory reset on it first. For a clean start.

Also depending on the age. Verify the paddle buttons work. Some had tact switch problems and the paddle would not always work. They would click but not activate the electronics.

• 5 weeks later...

You can not buy old/used Insteon stuff off of ebay. There are lots of bad switches out there (mostly the tact switch issues or "paddle issue" as SH calls it). SH is warrantying those for 7 years, but only if you were the original purchaser and got it from SH. They will even check the hardware version number to make sure it matches one that you had previously bought from them. So unless you happen to pick up a used/broken one on ebay that is the exact same version of one that you personally bought from SH in the past (and had not returned), you won't be able to get it replaced.

Archived