Running insteon to a guest house

bsobel

I finally have my insteon network in my Mexico house up and reliable (99%), it took a total for 15 access points for the main house (old wiring, and 2' stone walls which block RF better than a faraday cage). The house is single phase (which helps).

I need to start adding insteon to the guest house which is about 40' away (line of sight) but I believe on the 'other phase'. I really doubt my access points will get through the main house wall to have a chance for the guest house to read the signal. So, I am wondering if there is any way to run a line between two access points (cat5, rg6, I don't care ,)) the would allow me to somehow link them directly. (I realize in theory the power line should do this, but based on my experience that seems very unlikely).

Any ideas?

bsobel

There is no method to connect Access Points with cat5 cable.

I am not familiar with house wiring in Mexico. Most houses in the US have single split phase 240V service. When you indicate single phase in the main house there is only 120V or is there 240V.

Is the main house and guest run from the same meter?

Lee

Hi Lee,

There was only 120, single phase. I had to run the second phase in here for the oven so there is exactly one circuit with it in the main house.

The guest house is on the same transformer, separate meter however.

Best,

Bill

If you couple to the other phase and it fails to pass through the transformer/meters, I think 40 feet should not be a problem for the RF signal lincs. Perhaps you install them outside in waterproof j-boxes since your walls are so dense.

Also, I assume your meters are right next to each other? While it would be illegal to crack open the meter boxes or anything between the meter boxes and the utility, you could put a phase couple between the wires to the two different buildings on the house side of the meters right there at the meters. This would of course require that you have a breaker box there and a spot to put a 15 or 20 amp breaker. I don't know how they do things in Mexico, but every house I have ever seen has the wire come out of the meter and go directly (or nearly directly) into a breaker box. It may only have a single 200amp breaker in it, but nontheless it has a breaker box so you can kill power to the whole house should there be a problem between the meter and the house.

I need to start adding insteon to the guest house which is about 40' away (line of sight) but I believe on the 'other phase'. I really doubt my access points will get through the main house wall to have a chance for the guest house to read the signal. So, I am wondering if there is any way to run a line between two access points (cat5, rg6, I don't care ,)) the would allow me to somehow link them directly.

Any ideas?

Were you saying you are willing to run a line between the two houses and you do not care what type of cable? How about an underground #14-2 cable?

Not real graceful but likely to work if you were willing to install it.

All, thank you so much for the suggestions. I think I'm going to try 1st the idea of the signal links external in a waterproof plastic cover. That should give me a good shot at connecting the guest house (think the same idea will work for the garage as well, which basically has the same issue but is a lower priority).

If that doesn't work, I had the 'duh' moment from Ela's post, I'll just run a circuit from the breaker panel to the other house and add one 'main house' plug and let access points do the magic that they do ,)

As to the comments on opening the meters and bridging there, I may do that as well. I'll have to order a few more access points (Smarthome must think I resell that darn things at this point!)

Anyone have a pointer to a good waterproof external box that can hold the access point comfortably?

Thanks!

Bill

bsobel,

While my suggestion appears to be a workable solution please do consult with an electrician prior to any install. I believe the NEC would have something needing to be addressed, possibly the need for a local disconnect?

You might want to experiment with the outside access point locations ( on a nice day using extension cords), prior to permanently installing the weatherproof boxes.

Many things can affect RF transmissions, such as people walking by an access point, mounting height can be important.

"While my suggestion appears to be a workable solution please do consult with an electrician prior to any install. I believe the NEC would have something needing to be addressed, possibly the need for a local disconnect? "

Understood, I wouldn't be installing this myself, I'd have the electrician do it. He won't quite understand WHY he's doing it, but he'll do it. (Trying to explain to him why the runner in a 3 way light wasn't needed with Insteon with my poor Spanish was, umm, interesting). The nice thing about it is, you give em a problem and you come back to cable ran.

"You might want to experiment with the outside access point locations ( on a nice day using extension cords), prior to permanently installing the weatherproof boxes."

Good point, I was originally thinking right outside the door but it's in a planter. Now realizing where the roof is pitched there is attic and power access, so dropping a unit up high may be an option. I'm going to see if I have any pics of the area (looks like I can embed images) might help make it clearer.

Thanks

Bill

Archived