Irrigation Question

paauto

An EZFlora and an ISY Program are all that is needed to run the EZFlora. The WeatherBug and Irrigation modules provide environmental data that allow intelligent adjustment of irrigation schedules, length of watering cycles, etc.

I don’t use either optional module. Just use a few different ISY Programs based on how much rain has fallen in the last few days and how hot. I irrigate from a large lake so water consumption is not an issue.

I’m sure others who do use the irrigation module will jump in here with information on its advantages.

Thanks Lee. I have a Toro Rain Sensor that I plan to adapt by wiring it into the common on the valves. Aside from that, all I want is to be able to set watering days, times and lenght of watering per zone. I also have a "master valve" (which is essentially another zone). So I can create programs within my existing ISY software to accomplish this?

Things were going well until the Master Valve question. The EZFlora does support what is referred to as a Pump Control function that turns On Zone 8 when any other Zone is On. Unfortunately the ISY does not support turning on that function. Simplehomenet provides a Simplehomenet Utility Suite (free XP program download from the SHN web site) that can configure the EZFlora to use Zone 8 as a Pump Control Zone. It would require another PLM to use as the SHN Utility Suite interface to the powerline to configure the EZFlora. Use of the Pump Control function is required as turning On any Zone in the EZFlora automatically turns Off any other Zone which is currently On. From an ISY Program it is not possible to turn two Zones On at once.

It is a onetime thing. Once the EZFlora configuration is set to use Zone 8 as Pump Control it will remain. The Pump Control configuration change has to be done after adding the EZFlora to the ISY. It would also be lost if the EZFlora was factory reset.

"Curious if this is a reasonable DIY project."

I designed and installed my own irrigation system. Covers about 1/2 acre with 7 zones, no 8 actually. Takes much research to understand water flow rates through the various types of heads and distribution pipe used. I pump from a lake so there was not much room for error with each Zone. Easier if using municipal water system.

The physical installation is a chore. Lots of trenching, lots of plumbing and low voltage wiring. Broke it into two phases, backyard, from yard. That worked well. The system works great. Well worth the months of planning and weeks of install. Saved several thousand dollars compared to a professional install. Must have a good plan! Laid out all zones, where all the heads would be, type of heads, head coverage, flow rates, valve locations on scale drawing before ever lifting a shovel. Do not scrimp on heads. A head or two can always be capped off but dry spots are hard to fix. Throwing something in the ground hoping it will work is not the answer. Go with a professional install if a good plan is not possible.

Archived