What's in the next release (2.8.16)

Chris Jahn

• 2 months later...

Hello RLIKWARTZ,

Please note that the Disable function only disables a device from ISY perspective so that a) it would not be included in any queries and B) you would not get all those annoying comm. errors. This function is best used for holiday lighting that you unplug but do not want ISY to keep querying them every night.

This said, if you have a device that is NOT unplugged, the disable function does not prevent it from participating in INSTEON communications. As such, this is not considered a bug and that's why it's not listed. The bug that was listed was for disabled devices having their status updated while in scenes. That has been fixed.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel, I tested 2.7.7 and the issue where a device responds in a scene even though it is disable is still occurs. You indicated it was resolved in this release, but I didn't see it on the bug list.

Just upgraded my 99i from 2.7.6 to 2.7.7 this morning. Cleared my java cache and browser cache. When I log into the admin console, I can see the Main and Config tabs just fine but if I click either of the program tabs I get a blank screen.

I tried rebooting the ISY but got the same result.

Where do I go from here ?

TIA

-X

A little more info:

If I access using the universal-devices/99i url - all seems fine except that I don't see anything new in 2.7.7 there.

Using my IP address, I seem to get the old admin console and program tabs are nut functional. Also the status bar shows System Busy the whole time when I know its not.

I can use the udi link when I'm home but how do I access this what I'm not home ? I have my port forwards all set up and they work - I just get the wrong console.

I'm using Firefox 3.5 on Ubuntu 9.10. All worked fine until I updated to 2.7.7 this morning.

About returns Ver 2.7.7 regardless of which console I use. Should I just rollback to 2.7.6 ? I purchased the X10 module and have been waiting for 2.7.7 to try it out.

Thanks.

-X

Hello X,

A little more info:

If I access using the universal-devices/99i url - all seems fine except that I don't see anything new in 2.7.7 there.

Using the above link will load the 2.7.6 console. Instead, use http://www.universal-devices.com/99i/2.7.7 to load the 2.7.7 console.

Using my IP address, I seem to get the old admin console and program tabs are nut functional. Also the status bar shows System Busy the whole time when I know its not.

This sounds like either a Java cache or firewall/anti-virus issue. When you cleared the Java cache, did you make sure all browsers were closed?

Hello X,

This sounds like either a Java cache or firewall/anti-virus issue. When you cleared the Java cache, did you make sure all browsers were closed?

Yes. Closed the browser, cleared the java cache, relaunched the browser, clear it's cache and closed/relaunched again. Still the same. Looks like the 2.7.6 console works for me and the 2.7.7 does not. I can now tell the difference as the 2.7.7 has a blank toolbar icon for new folder that the 2.7.6 console does not have.

When 2.7.7 loads, there is a long (15-20 second) delay before the login box displays. 2.7.6 displays the logon and other screens quickly.

I have no firewall running and no AV deamon running.

The 2.7.7 statusbar always says system busy.

What next.

TIA

-X

Same result with those. Well 2 and 3 anyway - the first does not find my isy.

Also, same result on 3 different systems now. Going to test from a Windows XP VM next.

Thanxks.

-X

Hi Xathros,

I can think of two things that could cause this:

1. We have added network features so that you can find ISY using http://isy ... this is the only network feature that might interfere with Ubuntu (though I doubt it)

2. Would you be kind enough to reinstall 2.7.7? Please note that you HAVE to use a lower version client to do the install. Using http://www.universal-devices.com/99i/2.7.6 is preferred

With kind regards,

Michel

Well, it works from Firefox on Win XP. Does not work on Firefox on Ubuntu running Java 6.16

Any thoughts ?

Thanks.

-X

Hi Xathros,

I can think of two things that could cause this:

1. We have added network features so that you can find ISY using http://isy ... this is the only network feature that might interfere with Ubuntu (though I doubt it)

2. Would you be kind enough to reinstall 2.7.7? Please note that you HAVE to use a lower version client to do the install. Using http://www.universal-devices.com/99i/2.7.6 is preferred

With kind regards,

Michel

I did as you suggested and still have the same issue with the program tabs however, the status bar now shows "Ready" or "System busy" correctly. I guess this is a step in the right direction.

For the moment, I have rolled back to 2.7.6 and all is working as it did before. No other changes to my system other than the isy version change. 2.7.7 is doing something different that Ubuntu does not agree with.

One thing I have noticed during this testing: The first time a program tab is selected on a functioning console, there is a "Loading Programs" dialog with a progress bar that pops up. In the non working console, I never see that dialog. I do see other dialogs that pop up during queries and such just fine.

Also, during my testing with 2.7.7, I didn't see anything that would allow me to add X10 devices into the tree. I do own the X10 module. Is that feature still included in 2.7.7 or has that been pushed out to a future version ?

Let me know if there is anything I can provide to help shed some light on this issue and thanks for all of your help.

-Xathros

I might be jumping the gun here, but will there be info forthcoming on the experimental X10 module that's available for purchase? (Or did I miss it somewhere?)

Also, just wondering...the "experimental" in the name makes it seem as though it may or may not work correctly and it's something that may or may not actually be built out to full functionality in future releases-- is that the case? It's something I'm very interested in (one of the reasons being using "phantom" X10 modules as virtual devices, which I'd assume would be possible) but am wondering about spending $49 on it if it's just an idea being thrown at the wall at this point. You know? :)

Very exciting to see additional functionality continue to come our way though!

Thanks!

Hi Xathros,

Thanks for trying this. I really do think that your Ubuntu is still using the old applet/application for some reason. To test my hypothesis, would you be kind enough to go to the Configuration tab and see if you have settings for Network (i.e. DHCP or setting static IP address)?

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michel-

I have checked my config on every test and my settings have remained as I expected. I have specified a static address. As for the old version of the app being used, I don't think thats the case. I have looked at the java control panel and seen the items in the cache. When I remove them, they do go away. They stay gone until the next time I connect to the ISY. When they are redownloaded from the ISY, I see current date/time stamps on the received files insteon.jar and CE.JAR).

Also, last night I tested from a machine that had previously never connected to the ISY - same result. I think that eliminates cache as the culprit.

At this point I highly suspect myurl/WEB/CE.JAR as the culprit. This does not appear in my cache until I click a Programs tab. I notice that it is the ONLY file in cache with an UPPERCASE filename.ext Linux is case sensitive where Windows is not - Hmmmmm. Could it be that simple ? I will do some testing tonight and see if that makes any sense. BTW, I notice that insteon.jar comes from myurl/web/insteon.jar - notice that /web/ is lowercase there and /WEB/ is uppercase in the CE.JAR url.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here but I have been bit by the UPPER/lower thing too many times to overlook it now.

Thanks.

-Xathros

I've noticed that every once in the while I'll drop into the console and it will show "system busy" and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. The device statuses are all blank, but it's not updating them so I'm not sure what it is busy doing.

I might be jumping the gun here, but will there be info forthcoming on the experimental X10 module that's available for purchase? (Or did I miss it somewhere?)

Also, just wondering...the "experimental" in the name makes it seem as though it may or may not work correctly and it's something that may or may not actually be built out to full functionality in future releases-- is that the case? It's something I'm very interested in (one of the reasons being using "phantom" X10 modules as virtual devices, which I'd assume would be possible) but am wondering about spending $49 on it if it's just an idea being thrown at the wall at this point. You know? :)

Very exciting to see additional functionality continue to come our way though!

Thanks!

*tap tap tap* :)

Xathros,

Please do let me know the status of your experimentation. You might be onto something here.

RLIKWARTZ,

If the statuses are not populated it means that the Admin Console was not successful in subscribing to ISY. The best thing to do would be to ensure that a) you have cleared your Java Cache and B) your wireless connection (if any) is stable.

skunkiechris, experimental means that we are experimenting with the functionality. We are planning to have this module production ready but there are certain issues that we are working through such as the relationship between node addresses and x10 addresses. So far, it has been working very well.

With kind regards,

Michel

Xathros,

Please do let me know the status of your experimentation. You might be onto something here.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel-

I have been toying with this for a while now and I have not been able to prove anything other than 2.7.6 works on Linux and 2.7.7 does not. 2.7.6 has the items in cache named the same way as 2.7.7 If I look at the actual packages that are stored in my cache, they don't relate to what I see in the Java control panel. They have cryptic alphanumeric.zip names instead of insteon.jar or CE.jar. I do see things that are ISY related inside of those packages but I'm no java programmer and wouldn't know what to look for in there.

Best I can do is say it "feels like" CE.JAR is the failure point on Linux with 2.7.7

For now, I have rolled back to 2.7.6 and restored my devices. It took me a few hours to get everything working again but its all good now. If you have a list of things you would like me to try with 2.7.7, I'd be happy to test again and record results, logs, whatever. Considering the time and effort it took to recover to this point, I'd rather not do this for anything less than a serious test.

As for the "feels like"... On the 2.7.6 console right after login, if I click either Program tab, the tab does not focus until the popup window shows. At that point, CE.JAR arrives in my cache. On the 2.7.7 console, Neither program tab will focus and the popup window never appears. CE.JAR does appear in cache once I click either of the program tabs.

Thanks again. Let me know when you have something for me to try.

-Xathros

RLIKWARTZ,

What URL are you using? It seems a lot like your use of 2.7.6 (or official URL) to access 2.7.7. Would you be kind enough to use either of the following:

http://www.universal-devices.com/99i/2.7.7/admin OR

http://www.universal-devices.com/99i/2.7.7/admin.jnlp

With kind regards,

Michel

It appears I need to clear the cache each time I come into the console for this not to happen.

• 2 weeks later...

I upgraded without problem. This allowed me to download X-10 module without apparent problem. The thing I observe immediately is that each time I log onto the admin console, there is an initial time period where the system gives a busy indication with the percentage bar showing in a dialog box. During this period, much of my system turns off. This did not happen in 2.7.6 or earlier, as best I can remember. I find it a nuissance to have my lights turn off as a result of opening the admin console. Hopefully, this is a result of something I did, rather than a characteristic of the new version.