Release 3.2.6 Is Now Official

Most UPS and Filtered Surge Suppressors are not tuned to allow them to not absorb Insteon Signals as noise.

I claim no knowledge this is 100% correct but a FilterLinc Schematic.

http://home.comcast.net/~gafield/family ... Filter.pdf

A tuned circuit as in this diagram makes the most sense. This works like a trap on a multi-band antenna, allowing some frequencies to pass, others simply see it as a brick wall. The goal with such a circuit is to make it seem, at a given frequency, that the wire does not continue past that point. A UPS or surge protector is purposely attenuating, not simply ignoring, frequencies it was designed to remove. I'll have to look up the specs on the various surge devices I use to see what their attenuation is at the Insteon signaling frequency.

A good and well designed UPS serves two purposes: it provides power continuity during outages, and it filters noise from the power line. A surge suppressor of any quality provides the latter alone. A whole-house suppressor provides the same service, removing noise from the power lines.

Is there a certain "whole-house" suppressor that will clean up noise coming into a house? I'd like to look into this to protect my house, but also to (have the hope of) decreasing my signal problems.

I use a leviton whole home surge protector. If u search around long enough they are about $100 or 170 from smart home. U still should use sesperate protection for other vitaul equipment assuming spikes could enter from other sources. Conditioners will kill your insteon signal. Let me know if u need more details.

Matt

Everything has been fine on 3.2.6 until evening of the June 29th.

Oddly none of the lights came on as scheduled. I rebooted (pulling the power) my ISY and so far I haven't had the same problem since. Prior to this I haven't had the first hiccup in over a year.

Interstingly I had upgraded my Dad's ISY to 3.2.6 a few weeks back and he let me know tonight that his lights didn't come on as scheduled on the evening of the 29th. He hasn't yet cycled power and continues to have the trouble. He also has been trouble free for long time.

Anyone experiencing this? Any thoughts.

Paul

Could you still access the Admin Console when this happened or was the unit completely hung. If hung, can you tell me whether or not you have DirecTV?

Hi Michel,

I was able to access the Admin Console. I do not have DirectTV.

Hello Michel,

Will the next firmware release be forth coming by months end? Also, I noted that the SmartHome page indicates that the Energy Monitor will be able to poll the temperature from the unit at some future time. Will that feature make it in this release as I have three of these units arriving by months end.

Teken . . .

Yes, I was hoping to be able to use the temperature reading from the Energy Monitors as it was indicated by SmartHomes sales page. They indicate UDI support sometime in 2012 but offer no further insight.

Teken . . .

Hi Teken,

We tried implementing it and ran into some anomalies especially with respect to linking to iMeter solo. I am not sure if simply supporting the temp monitoring will be enough for everyone.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello Michel,

Just to be clear: At this point in time I simply would like to see the ability to *see / monitor* the remote temperature of the Energy Monitor device(s) via the ISY controller. My intent is to poll / read this data from the unit and then have them linked to various ceiling / remote fans in the home.

Just trying to circulate and move some air around the home as it is a stifling 40'C here in town. :cry:

Teken . . .

Hi Teken,

Thank you. We will take another look ... but, just to be clear, this device does not report temperature so you will have to query it explicitly. And, if you have many of them with high query frequency, then the performance of everything else in your system will be impacted.

With kind regards,

Michel

I am confused though that is not too unusual. :lol:

The Energy Display Developers Notes. Say it checks the temperature every three minutes and send a message if the temperature has changed 1 or more degrees C {I believe it can also be set to F}. I believe it is a group 4 message. To a linked PLM.

Though the sales page says maximum of three Controller Groups and I would think they would be the three groups for iMeterSolo's. :?:

Could be the specifications changed and the Developers Notes didn't get updated. No surprises there. :wink:

Hi BrianH,

So am I: the problem is that those groups are linked to iMeter and we had a hell of time getting it to report directly to the PLM.

Also, since this is a battery operated device, doing a query may kill the battery. I think they had an option for an external power supply but ours doesn't have it. So, extensive querying may just drain the battery.

We'll take another look.

With kind regards,

Michel

I'm having a strange issue that I ran into the last couple days. When i open the web based admin console, my programs don't show up... It's just an empty folder that i can't expand. All of the variables are there, but there is nothing listed on the summary or details tabs.

The strange thing is that all the programs still run when I trigger them with the switches. they also appear in Mobilinc and the web based control.

I've tried switching browsers, clearing the cache, rebooting the ISY-99i, but no luck. Any ideas?

I bought a Energy Monitor and after playing with it for about a week.

Got an RMA to return it on the 30 day I am not happy guarantee.

Brian,

Would you be so kind and start a new thread in the Smarthome forum within this site. To provide a review, and insight, as to your personal experience on this (Energy Monitor) product? Also, I was hoping you would have reviewed the Insteon Bulb Linc. :cry:

Teken . . .

I didn't do much with it.

Tried a few ways to force it to at least be seen by my ISY994i and it didn't. Kind of what I expected from Michel's comments.

I was mainly interested in seeing if the temperature could be seen as the units Developers Notes indicated it could.

So It is packed up and an RMA is issued. Going back today.

My days of early adopter are over.

That is normally some change in the AV. Is Avast or Kaspersky being using? Was it updated lately? If not what AV is being used?

even if i shutdown kaspersky completely it persists. I use https to avoid issues with AV as i've had issues using http with kaspersky.

after backing up and restoring the ISY, it now shows all stored programs.