Power for ISY-99i Pro

Harold

How much current does the ISY require? I believe it is 12V; how much current?

Second question. Is there any significant reason I should upgrade to an ISY-994 Pro? As far as I can tell, it lets me plug other radios in, but I don't see anything else.

My ISY994i seems to process things like checking links faster but it maybe just my perception of what is happening.

The ISY994i may use more power. I have not seen any requirements posted but mine came with a 5 volt 1 amp supply. Maybe a cushion for added accessories at a later date.

Hi BrianH,

994 has a faster/bigger flash and a new network PHY and, in combination with SDHC 1GB San Disk, it would be a little quicker. This said, the performance gain depends on the operations.

300 mA is the minimum requirement and, precisely to your point, the 1 amp power supply is to support such things as Zigbee and ZWave radios.

With kind regards,

Michel

I run my 994i and before that my 99i off of an ATX power supply that runs into a terminal block and distributes to about 10 devices. I forget the specs on the ATX supply but it is something like 20 amps on the 5v lead. Anyway, it works very well.

I am going to assume that ISY has a voltage regulator. Typically voltage regulators step voltage down by converting some of the power to heat. So, it would be my assumption that using a high quality power supply that runs at the lowest voltage is your best bet since there would then be less heat. If your power supply isn't the best, then a higher voltage would be better. Cheapo power supplies aren't the greatest at maintaining voltage at higher amps and they also don't make the cleanest dc voltage either. But my bet is that ISY's power regulator cleans things up as well. But it wouldn't be able to fix a wimping out current/voltage situation from a cheapo power supply that is rated at 5v under the best of times.

Archived