New Insteon LED light bulb

jdlegan

I am just wondering....

I haven't figured out why I would use the new light bulb. It still requires the use of a Keypadlinc or remote link to control it. Now, that is 2 devices - the light bulb and another device.

I have been using some LED bulbs from Phillips that are dimmable and they or less expensive than the new bulb and a switch to control it.

Don't forget that if you use this bulb in a lamp, people still tend to turn a lamp of at its switch and that will render the idea of a remote control lamp to be useless.

I already have some table lamps that I have setup using a switchlinc installed in the smart home keypadlinc enclosure (Part # 2402WH) and these work fine.

I am open to other view on this question.

Clarence

Sometimes I don't think their hardware engineers and software engineers talk to each other.

When some of the new I2CS devices where shipping. Their own Houselinc program didn't handle them correctly. So I doubt developers got much data before they where released.

Also with no set button. It is impossible to do a factory reset on the bulb. You have to hope your software can remove and add links correctly.

Since there is no data on the LEDs color temperature or beam angle. I will not be a first production run user. I have learned from earlier first production issues. :roll:

One of my other LED bulbs has a beam angle that illuminates the ceiling when in a table lamp.

The Phillips are nice and I have a few of them myself.

Just think... Every time a Smart LED needs to be replace, you have to add a new device. I realize that LED bulbs are supposed to last a while, but, no one knows for sure.

If you are installing for a customer..... this could create future problems for you as an installer.

Clarence

I saw this in a post on Cocoontech Forum.

The sales page also indicates it emits a subtle buzz. If more than one is in a location there is a chance you may start to hear it.

Also they indicated when they called Smarthome and asked things like color temperature, beam angle and LED manufacture. Smarthome didn't have any information yet.

I saw this in a post on Cocoontech Forum.

The sales page also indicates it emits a subtle buzz. If more than one is in a location there is a chance you may start to hear it.

Also they indicated when they called Smarthome and asked things like color temperature, beam angle and LED manufacture. Smarthome didn't have any information yet.

That might have been me.

I am just wondering....

I haven't figured out why I would use the new light bulb. It still requires the use of a Keypadlinc or remote link to control it. Now, that is 2 devices - the light bulb and another device.

Yes it seems like the application would be somewhat narrow, that replacing a controlling switch with a switchlinc or keypadlinc would be more desirable. I could envision one place in my house where I could use it where the light switch that controls the ceiling light is in series with and cuts power to another outlet that I want to keep powered. I could use the controlable bulb in that fixture and control it with a free button on a keypadlinc and change the wiring so that it provides constant power to that circuit. Perhaps it might also be used in a location that does not have a neutral wire if you didn't want to use a 2 wire switchlinc.

I am just wondering....

I have a lamp in my living room which is currently plugged into a LampLinc DB. It has a switch on the cord which we don't use. Instead it is controlled from a KPL (which also controls four other things) and a RemoteLinc (likewise). I can imagine using this instead of the LampLinc, since it would make the installation invisible (rather than having a module plugged into the wall).

I could also imagine using one of these if I had a room where the main light wasn't bright enough and wanted to put in a secondary light (e.g. table or floor lamp) and have it controlled by the main light switch in the room.

Or a basement fixture with a pull-cord (no switch) that I wanted to control with a wall switch (maybe even a RemoteLinc 2 in a wall mount) or triggerlinc or motion sensor.

Or any light fixture where I was thinking of putting in an InLineLinc for whatever reason.

I plan on using this presuming that it works with ISY in the garage light that is left on. I was going to replace the switch, but saw this and was thinking it would be a quick fix. I also plan on utilizing the motion detector currently in the garage to auto turn on and shut off when no motion is detected. I will update when bulb arrives. Thanks to everyone on your input.

Like others have pointed out, the decision to purchase LED bulbs is much more a complicated decision than for incandescent....color, dimming, beam spread, electronic noise, compabibilty with ISY, etc.... Having nearly completely replaced my entire house with LED lights, I have tried several different configurations. Based on my experience, my major concern with this bulb is beam spread. Similar designs that I have tried tend to emit light only from the "upper" hemisphere. If true for this bulb, it makes it (to my eyes) unsuitable for table lamps and other fixtures depending on an even distribution of light across the entire globe.

While I really like the concept (insteon-enabled bulb), I suggest starting slow with this one until you are sure you like the results in the particular fixture in which you intend to use it.

Like others have pointed out, the decision to purchase LED bulbs is much more a complicated decision than for incandescent....color, dimming, beam spread, electronic noise, compabibilty with ISY, etc.... Having nearly completely replaced my entire house with LED lights, I have tried several different configurations. Based on my experience, my major concern with this bulb is beam spread. Similar designs that I have tried tend to emit light only from the "upper" hemisphere. If true for this bulb, it makes it (to my eyes) unsuitable for table lamps and other fixtures depending on an even distribution of light across the entire globe.

While I really like the concept (insteon-enabled bulb), I suggest starting slow with this one until you are sure you like the results in the particular fixture in which you intend to use it.

Based on my own experience, I very much agree with the above.

oberkc:

If you could, with the experience you must have in changing the entire house, maybe give some of us tidbits and suggestions on certain bulbs/manufacturers/applications that you have found. Any ideas on cost mangaement?

What kind of impact if any have you seen with Insteon?

Thanks,

aLf

There is another consideration that I think that is overlooked in using dimmable LED lamps with dimmers.

Some dimmers need to have at least a 25 watt load in order to function correctly.

Having made that statement, I have successfully installed a single Phillips Dimmable 25 watt equivalent, actual 7 watt LED load. with my swicthlinc dimmer and it works just fine. I have tried some dimmable floods from Costco that don't work well.

It can be a gamble and I don't know of a Knowledge base that has all of these answers.

Maybe we should have a topic area where we can start pooling everyone's experiences with LED bulbs working with Insteon and ISY.

Clarence

Any ideas on cost mangaement?

Cost management? What is this? My motivation for switching over is broad-based.

My motivation for switching to LED is only marginally related to cost. I don't like the way incandescent tend towards yellows and orange when dimmed. Some of my lighting circuits have lots of fixtures, which can push the capacity of my insteon switches. I don't like changing light bulbs, especially in difficult fixtures. I don't like the way CFL dims. I am willing to pay an upfront cost while earning an income to limit expenses when retirement hits. Incandescents get hot, which can cause secondary issues. I prefet the look of LED can lights/trim rings.

My cost management is limited to frequent (near daily) visits to Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, Keim Lumber, Sam's Club, and Walmart, and keeping a sharp eye open for sales and clearance items. Whether this proves to make pure economic sense remains to be seen and depends on how long these things last.

tidbits and suggestions on certain bulbs/manufacturers/applications

I tend to prefer local stores to on-line shopping, so most of my lamps are those available at the stores listed earlier, with most from Lowes and Home Depot. I don't remember all the brands, but phillips, utilitech, sylvania, and ecosmart seem to come to mind as brands that work well for me. I recall one early example of a lamp that messed with my insteon communication, but later experience has pretty much removed this consideration from my mind.

Both Lowes and HD have a style that I like in table lamps or globe-based fixtures.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_338931-75774-LA19/OM800/LED_4294801193__?productId=3550116&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

http://www.homedepot.com/EcoSmart/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ4b8/R-202668646/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051=

These are two styles that have worked well for me that provide generally broad coverage and good color.

For retrofit into can lights, I was limited by height, so I was compelled to use the lowes version - sylvania (style with trim ring) as opposed to the cree-based units at HD, which did not physically fit. These are working well so far. I tried simple PAR replacement bulbs, but did not like the look. The bulb showed below the trim ring, which I did not like.

All landscape lighting is LED based and with all with refit bulbs. This was my exception to local purchase. All came from superbrightLED.com. Paying attention to light color and lumens was my only consideration. This also required the replacement of power supplies to keep the voltage better controlled. After three winters and working on my fourth summer, I have had NO lamp failures. If you want more specifics on landscape bulbs, let me know.

On the exterior, I use the same bulbs as above where applicable. I have also used PAR-type lamp replacements where appropriate for the fixture. Besides color, I found it important to pay strict attention to "flood" versus "spot", the the LED versions of the spot to have a very tight beam, not appropriate for general exterior illumination.

The two cases where I have yet to find a suitable LED replacement are with the little candelabra-base chandelier bulbs. Most strike me as physically too large for my fixtures. I use thes in fixtures and window candles. I am watching with much interest when these become available.

I have probably already written too much and should be accused of hijacking this thread.

oberkc:

Not at all. I (and I hope everyone) appreciate the in depth ideas. I wish I could visit first hand to see specific bulbs and get a (feel) for the color and warmth.

You must have spent 1,000's on the bulbs?

When you say you had to change power supplies, is there anything wron with running a supply WAY below the normal wattage? I have two exremely reliable and built tough units from Roberts Step Lighting that run all my outdoor stuff. The bulbs are for the most part 3155 & 3156 10-20 watt knife bases. There is a bunch of them and they add up to the max of each transformer. (If) there is an LED version, I would expect a 20 watter to go to .5 watts or so, that would equate to probably dropping each load to almost nothing. Would I have to cahne the trans?

I agree that a base of info (maybe another thread) listing various bulb types and suitable LED's that others have found would be very valuable.

Thanks again,

aLf

oberkc:

Your input and insight are appreciated. You have done a lot of work trying and testing LED lights, not to mention the expense.

Thanks for the input.

Michel, can we have a separate posting for this topic?

Clarence

Received mine, and was able to add it to the ISY by setting the type to a LampLinc. Added the bulb to a KPL scene with no problems, seems to be working fine. Color temp/light spread seems to be on par with other bulbs I have with this same design from LG. The behavior is different though, the LG's have a short delay when powered on that these don't seem to have.

Would I have to cahne the trans

My understanding regarding transformers is that some of the old magenetic (?) types can overdrive voltage at low power. I have four power supplies at the four corners of my house (each on an appliancelinc). There is less than 20 watts on each. I was concerned that the high voltage (espcially startup) can cause long-term damage to the life of an LED lamp.

Archived