ISY-99 Log (Excel)

clark21236

I have just gotten started with the ISY-99, and was wondering if I had something wrong. I have only migrated over 4 Insteon devices so far, so maybe I don't have the correct type of devices. I only have Togglelincs as of yet.

If I open Tools -->Log (Excel) I get an error.

The first thing it does is try to open an Excel spreadsheet, and it asks me if it's OK to run Macros. So I choose yes, and then VBA opens up with an error.

Compile Error:

Named Argument Not Found.

The argument it's looking for is TrailingMinusNumbers:

Is this a bug? I would think no matter what devices I have installed the spreadsheet shouldn't fail.

I just decided to try some of the other stuff in the tools section, and they all seem to open the same spreadsheet and it fails each time.

Clark,

To answer your question, Excel should open regardless of the data you have. May I ask what version of Excel you have?

In any case, depending on your Java's temp directory, the report itself is stored as UDReport.rtf.

With kind regards,

Michel

I have just gotten started with the ISY-99, and was wondering if I had something wrong. I have only migrated over 4 Insteon devices so far, so maybe I don't have the correct type of devices. I only have Togglelincs as of yet.

If I open Tools -->Log (Excel) I get an error.

The first thing it does is try to open an Excel spreadsheet, and it asks me if it's OK to run Macros. So I choose yes, and then VBA opens up with an error.

Compile Error:

Named Argument Not Found.

The argument it's looking for is TrailingMinusNumbers:

Is this a bug? I would think no matter what devices I have installed the spreadsheet shouldn't fail.

I just decided to try some of the other stuff in the tools section, and they all seem to open the same spreadsheet and it fails each time.

I'm running Vista 32-bit, Office 2007, latest ISY-99 beta firmware.

In the Administrative Console, I click TOOLS, then LOG. The ISY then asks if I want to open the log in Excel, I click YES. Excel 2007 opens, but there is no data.

I am able to manually open the UDReport.rtf file, however, and it does contain data. This same folder also contains a ud.xls file, which is blank.

I have an ISY_26 so the following comments may not apply...

I have Office 2007 and it works properly. I do have to manually allow macros to run each time I ask for a log. There is a a bar which appears at the top of the spreadsheet titled "Security Warning" and you have to click on Options and then allow macros to run. I cannot figure out how to tell the "trust center" to always allow the macros run. When I ask for a log I end up with 2 instances of Excel running. The first has "ud.xls" open and the second has "UDReport.rtf" open. The UDReport file contains the actual log while the ud.xls appears empty.

Reading this thread encouraged me to try again to access the Excel "Log". All I get is a blank, formated page. I dropped my security level from high to medium and it will now try to run the macro. Unforturnately, it goes into the VB debug mode and I get a VB access error "Named argument not found". I know nothing about VB so that isn't a big help to me.

The argument highlighted is in UD.xls - Module1 (Code),

under the heading ChDir (d), Workbooks,

The last entry "TrailingMinusNumbers:=True" is highlighted.

Where do I go from here? I'm using V2.6 on an ISY-26

Dave

Reading this thread encouraged me to try again to access the Excel "Log". All I get is a blank, formated page. I dropped my security level from high to medium and it will now try to run the macro.

Are you running Excel 2007? If so, instead of dropping your security level, when Excel 2007 opens with the blank formatted page, look for a 'Security Warning' above the A column with an OPTIONS button. Click OPTIONS, and choose ENABLE THIS CONTENT.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am running Office 2000. To cheap to upgrade now that I am retired. :D

Reading this thread encouraged me to try again to access the Excel "Log". All I get is a blank, formated page. I dropped my security level from high to medium and it will now try to run the macro.

Are you running Excel 2007? If so, instead of dropping your security level, when Excel 2007 opens with the blank formatted page, look for a 'Security Warning' above the A column with an OPTIONS button. Click OPTIONS, and choose ENABLE THIS CONTENT.

Yes, if you don't enable the macros the log won't work. I mentioned the Security Warning in my post above.

My question is:

How do you enable this macro permanently?

I have opened the "trust center" and you can see locations where trusted content is listed. I have attempted to add the file (containing the macros?)

C:\documents and settings]\(my name)\local settings\temp\ud.xls

but the "trust center" won't accept it.

There should be a way to tell Excel that macros from Universal Devices contained in that file are not a security risk.

My question is:

How do you enable this macro permanently?

I have opened the "trust center" and you can see locations where trusted content is listed. I have attempted to add the file (containing the macros?)

C:\documents and settings]\(my name)\local settings\temp\ud.xls

but the "trust center" won't accept it.

There should be a way to tell Excel that macros from Universal Devices contained in that file are not a security risk.

You can try here

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP011195791033.aspx

or here

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP100969191033.aspx

Here is an update for me.

My home computer, Windows XP and Office 2000. The Excel file does not work. I get the error I posted above.

My work laptop, Windows XP and Office 2007. The Excel file works fine.

I found the answer as to why the Excel sheet does not open for some people.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2071526.php

Apparently this is something new that was added starting with Office 2002. So when you try to use pre-Office2002, you can't open the Excel file that the ISY serves up.

Here is another post about it.

http://safari.oreilly.com/0789731290/ch23lev1sec10

Hello clark21236,

Thanks so very much. I have added this to the list of our bugs and we'll try to fix it.

With kind regards,

Michel

Apparently this is something new that was added starting with Office 2002. So when you try to use pre-Office2002, you can't open the Excel file that the ISY serves up.

Isn't there any way for someone to take the Java console output and do some name resolution and formatting on it and display it? I use it all the time, I find it more useful than the ISY log anyway since it actually logs X10 activity and the clock has more resolution. And you can watch it in real time. It's just so cryptic. Is this possible?

jgraziano,

Yes, you could using our JSDK or soon to be released web services API.

With kind regards,

Michel

Isn't there any way for someone to take the Java console output and do some name resolution and formatting on it and display it? I use it all the time, I find it more useful than the ISY log anyway since it actually logs X10 activity and the clock has more resolution. And you can watch it in real time. It's just so cryptic. Is this possible?
  • 6 months later...

This problem still exists in 2.6.6 and 2.6.7. Is it still on the bug list or do I have to update from Office 2000?

Thanks,

Ken

Hello clark21236,

Thanks so very much. I have added this to the list of our bugs and we'll try to fix it.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi kclark,

Apologies for a tardy reply ... yes, indeed but with a very low priority (unfortunately).

With kind regards,

Michel

This problem still exists in 2.6.6 and 2.6.7. Is it still on the bug list or do I have to update from Office 2000?

Thanks,

Ken

Hello clark21236,

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Mike,

In Vista by default ISY data file is saved under C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\LocalLow

Your ISY script is

d = Replace(d, "Local\Temp", "LocalLow")

ChDir (d)

Workbooks.OpenText Filename:="UDReport.txt", _

Origin:=437, StartRow:=1, DataType:=xlDelimited, TextQualifier:= _

Command Workbooks.OpenText Filename:="UDReport.txt", _ can not fid data file with provided in the script information

When I replaced above line with full path name Workbooks.OpenText Filename:="C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\LocalLow\UDReport.txt", _ everything was working without a glitch. I hope this will help

Walter

Archived