Release 3.3.2 (Beta) Is Now Available!

Michel Kohanim

My question is this....

Is the time synchronization for: The New Smart home Insteon thermostat Part # 2441TH and Part # 2441ZTH or the Venstar Thermostats Part # 2491T1E, Part # 2491T7E and Part # 2441V ?

Smart home seems to think that the Venstars don't have that capability, at least that was a preliminary answer given to me.

Upgraded, first to 3.3.1 then to 3.3.2. No problem encountered during upgrade process, and ISY backup completes with no difficulty (running Vista and Windows7).

However, discovered anomaly with thermostats. Two Venstar 1700's, one with the external adapter V.91 -- other has integrated "All-in-one" adapter V.95. Anomaly is as follows (same behavior for both stats):

Both stats are set for Fan Mode: Auto. However, after a cooling cycle, Admin Console reports Fan State as ON, even after cooling cycle has ended and fan is not running. Stats still indicate (on their LCDs) that Fan Mode is Auto. But, since Admin Console now shows Fan State = On, MobiLinc also indicates that the fan is ON (running). Using MobiLinc's Refresh function does not correct fan indication. Likewise, MobiLinc's "Sync with ISY" function does not correct it either. Using Admin Console's query function (for either stat) also does not correct the fan indication. The only way to get Admin Console to properly indicate Fan State = Auto is to either (1) manually change it from the Fan State pull-down selector, or (2) do essentially the same thing from MobiLinc. But, following the next cooling cycle, Admin Console (and hence MobiLinc) are back to indicating Fan State = ON.

I'm pretty certain this anomaly was not present in current official release 3.2.6.

Correction to above: Upon further (and more careful) observation, the anomaly now seems to manifest only for the newer, "All-in-one" thermostat adapter V.95. Although I'm certain I initially witnessed the anomaly occurring on both stats, I can now reproduce it only on the V.95 unit.

My question is this....

Is the time synchronization for: The New Smart home Insteon thermostat Part # 2441TH and Part # 2441ZTH or the Venstar Thermostats Part # 2491T1E, Part # 2491T7E and Part # 2441V ?

Smart home seems to think that the Venstars don't have that capability, at least that was a preliminary answer given to me.

The time setting feature is only in the Totaline/Venstar thermostat adapters v.D4 or higher, it is not currently supported in the Insteon Thermostat or the Insteon Wireless Thermostat. I cannot verify it works for all Totaline/Venstar thermostats, but I suspect it does.

FYI, all development was done using a thermostat adapter connected to a 1-day programmable Totaline thermostat (P374-1700)

Hello LeeFleishman,

There are two different scenarios here:

Fan Mode - can only be on/auto

Fan State - this is the node which should give you the status of the fan

If the Fan Mode is automatically turning to On, then please do be kind enough to check your logs to see if any entity (web/program/query) is actually changing the mode as it should NOT change by itself. If it does then the the problem might be the inconsistency between the API for the integrated one vs. the non-integrated one.

Unfortunately I have not been able to reproduce this condition with my integrated thermostat.

With kind regards,

Michel

The double messages from my motion sensors appears to be resolved in this release.

-Xathros

I believe that is the same thing that caused my programs to misfire.

But another possible issue.

I just noticed that the clock was off by over 10 minutes. I have it set to sync with ntp every 24 hours. I clicked the "synchronize now" button and it successfully updated and corrected the time. But that begs the question. .. how was it 10 minutes off if it is syncing every 24 hours. It should have at least one sync since I updated the firmware.

Hello LeeFleishman,

There are two different scenarios here:

Fan Mode - can only be on/auto

Fan State - this is the node which should give you the status of the fan

If the Fan Mode is automatically turning to On, then please do be kind enough to check your logs to see if any entity (web/program/query) is actually changing the mode as it should NOT change by itself. If it does then the the problem might be the inconsistency between the API for the integrated one vs. the non-integrated one.

Unfortunately I have not been able to reproduce this condition with my integrated thermostat.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello Michel,

Thanks for the feedback. I checked the log, and I could find no entries involving Fan Mode. Contrary to my previous post (in which I stated that the anomaly only seems to affect the newer, integrated stat), I've now seen several occurrences of it on the older stat with the external adapter. Also, I have not implemented any ISY programs that involve Fan Mode (just heat & cool setpoints, depending on time of day/night). Any further insights you could suggest will be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee Fleishman

INControl Home Automation

Venstar Thermostat.

Since the issue of Synchronizing the Clock has come up, I have been trying to find out about the latest version of the Firmware for the Venstar-Insteon. The latest version of the firmware now stands at v95 according to Smart Home. Apparently, there is no upgrade path to the firmware from Smart Home. That being said, I cannot find out what enhancements have been made since versions 92 & 93. The answer that I got from telephone support was, that that was something that engineering can answer and it seems as though this is a tightly held secret. Does anyone have any ideas what enhancements may have come about in the version updates?

Hello apostolakisl,

Was your Admin Console on for 24 hours or had it just been launched? I am trying to figure out whether or not the problem was UI not being in synch vs. ISY clock actually being slow.

Hello Lee Fleischman,

Would you be kind enough to send us your log and preferably only entries 15 minutes prior and after the occurrence of this scenario.

With kind regards,

Michel

How does one login to the ISY using port 443 now? No matter what I do the system cries saying it can't be done? :cry:

The *About* does indicate and confirm the correct UI / Admin 3.3.2 firmware. Java cache along with the Internet browser has been cleared.

Installed the latest Java run time with the same secure login errors. I have no problems login via the unsecure method.

I attempted to install a new certificate and it appears to make no difference. I have appended a screen capture of the error message.

This has nothing to do with firewall / anti-virus as it has all been either turned off or set to be white listed. Seems to have happen since this update??

Teken . . .

post-2329-14047415659_thumb.png

Hi Teken,

I assume you are on MAC. If so, here's an excerpt from the instructions:

4. Important We have removed SSLv2 support (very insecure) from ISY99/ISY994. Unfortunately, the only protocol supported by MAC with Java 1.6 is SSLv2. As such, you MUST upgrade your MAC to Java 1.7 (Software Update)

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Teken,

I assume you are on MAC. If so, here's an excerpt from the instructions:

4. Important We have removed SSLv2 support (very insecure) from ISY99/ISY994. Unfortunately, the only protocol supported by MAC with Java 1.6 is SSLv2. As such, you MUST upgrade your MAC to Java 1.7 (Software Update)

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello Michel,

Unfortunately, I am having this problem on all Windows 7 machines. Some are 32, others are 64 bit.

Teken . . .

Hello apostolakisl,

Was your Admin Console on for 24 hours or had it just been launched? I am trying to figure out whether or not the problem was UI not being in synch vs. ISY clock actually being slow.

Hello Lee Fleischman,

Would you be kind enough to send us your log and preferably only entries 15 minutes prior and after the occurrence of this scenario.

With kind regards,

Michel

I don't recall how long the console was open. Perhaps a day, perhaps a few minutes.

I just did a test. I opened the console a couple hours ago and hit the NTP update. The clock was off, but I didn't notice by how much. I closed the console and then just reopened it (about 2 hours later) hit the sync button again. The clock corrected by about 15 seconds. So either ISY clock is running quite a bit off or the NTP server isn't giving good numbers. I'll try again in another hour and see what it does.

Hi Teken,

Thank you. Can you use a browser and go to https://your.isy.ip.address[:https_port]? What do you get?

With kind regards,

Michel

I have no problems getting to the web page which uses the *Touch Switch* interface. It is when you click on the Admin Console you see the Java whirling wheel trying to load.

About 5-10 seconds the two pop up messages appear: XML Parse Error HTTPS: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx desc appears. The second pop up is what I have uploaded here.

Teken . . .

Hello apostolakisl,

Can you check your error log and see whether or not you have any NTP errors?

It's possible that the UI's time might be out of synch with ISY (it synchs every 5 minutes) but 15 minutes off is NOT normal.

With kind regards,

Michel

The error log has no errors since August 3. There was a stretch on Aug 3 lasting several hours where there were a ton of errors including lots of ntp errors. Probably my internet was down or something.

Hi Teken,

If you can get to ISY via https using a browser, then the problem is that your Java client is using SSL_v2 for negotiations. This has major security implications. Do you have the same problem from any one of your computers?

Can you use Chrome, go to https://your.isy.ip.address, login, and then click on the lock in the address bar and post the image. I need to know what version of SSL is being used.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello apostolakisl,

Can you check your error log and see whether or not you have any NTP errors?

It's possible that the UI's time might be out of synch with ISY (it synchs every 5 minutes) but 15 minutes off is NOT normal.

With kind regards,

Michel

The error log has no errors since August 3. There was a stretch on Aug 3 lasting several hours where there were a ton of errors including lots of ntp errors. Probably my internet was down or something.

I opened the console this morning. The clock on the console seems to be the problem. I opened it at 6:51:50. Over the course of the next 6 minutes, the clock only ticked forward by 11 seconds to 6:52:01. Mostly it is just sitting there doing nothing, but every once in a while it ticks forward a tick or two. For example, in the time it took to write the last couple sentences, the clock still says 6:52:02. Otherwise the console is working like normal.

EDIT: It is now 7:36 and the console clock says 7:01:48. It is ticking now roughly 1/sec.

Since it appears to be the console clock only, it isn't that big of a deal. But during program debugging it is pretty inconvenient to not know what time the system clock thinks it is.

EIDT:Now at 7:56, the ISY clock is showing 7:54. So somewhere in there it must have updated to the system clock, but still has fallen behind again.

EDIT: The console clock has stopped ticking again. But if I open the "configuration" tab it syncs to the ISY. But it still doesn't tick. If I go to a different tab, then back to the configuration tab, it updates again, but again still doesn't keep ticking.

EDIT: I opened the java console on my office computer and logged in. It is displaying the same behavior.

Hi Teken,

If you can get to ISY via https using a browser, then the problem is that your Java client is using SSL_v2 for negotiations. This has major security implications. Do you have the same problem from any one of your computers?

Can you use Chrome, go to https://your.isy.ip.address, login, and then click on the lock in the address bar and post the image. I need to know what version of SSL is being used.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello Michel,

I normally use Opera (Version 12.02, Build 1578) on all of my machines which has the same problem. I will try using IE / Chrome and see if it makes a difference today and report back.

Teken . . .

That is not a universal clock response on 3.3.2 as the Admin Console time is ticking away at one second intervals. I have no optional modules and I do not sync with NTP

The console clock is working just fine for me. I DO sync with NTP and get occasional sync failures but usually the following sync will usually work. Clock doesn't seem to drift more that 1-2 seconds out of sync over a 2 day period. I have The following modules installed: Network Resources, Pro Upgrade A10/X10 Module.

-Xathros