DDNS Poll

UDI DDNS Hosted Service  

14 members have voted

1. 1. UDI DDNS Hosted Service

• 1. I use my router's DDNS and my own DDNS account
    • 2. I am interested in using UDI hosted DDNS and hostname

Hello all,

We have had many request integrated/native Dynamic DNS support in ISY. While investigating the requirements and through preliminary sizing exercise, it's really hard to justify development since this function already exists in all routers (where it naturally belongs).

This said, an alternative solution would be to have our own DDNS server/domain (i.e my-isy.com) with native integration with ISY. But, unlike all of our other development efforts, this service creates a recurring overhead for us.

As such, the purpose of this poll is to gauge the level of interest from you for this requirement.

I would very much appreciate your input.

With kind regards,

Michel

• 2 weeks later...

I personally don't see the need. That said, many of my networked devices DO support some form of DDNS natively. My feeling is that DDNS really belongs in the router/gateway. I can see a situation where there may be internet service with no router solely for an ISY install and in that case it would prove useful assuming a cable/DSL modem with no built in NAT router.

There are a few simple workarounds for those situations where the router does not/can not do DDNS. You can run a software DDNS client on your MAC/PC/Linux box, Set up your networked printer to do DDNS, Install s $19 PoGo plug with Linux on it to do DDNS and much more for you and likely a few options I haven't thought of.

In the end I see this as a rarely necessary feature and would prefer to see resources spent on widening variable support than supporting DDNS.

Since the 14th, I only see one post showing any interest. Can't be too many waiting for it.

Just my .02. If there truly is demand for this from the ISY community then by all means - go for it!

-Xathros

Another thought, How hard would it be to build Mobilinc Connect support into the ISY finder ? This way those that need it could buy the Mobilinc connect module and use that for both remote Admin and Mobilinc at the same time.

-Xathros

Hi Xathros,

Not everyone has MobiLinc connect module.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel-

I understand but isn't Mobilinc connect available as an add on module for both the 99 and 994 ? Was just thinking that it might be easier to work with that since the main functionality is already complete and the "Locator service" is already in place.

-Xathros

How would you propose the ISY detect the IP change? The router can since it's the one with the external IP...

While I do think there is little value in ISY managing DDNS itself I think here is value in making the IP change detection a trigger for programs. I have a script I do run to update my IP on a 3rd party site (not DDNS) and having a trigger would be great (right now I just run it every 7 minutes) that is required for me to access some of my media. If there was such a trigger (so dyndns flood protections wouldn't kick you off) you could just publish a few network resources that people could customize to do the updates if it was needed.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have been looking for a long time for a way to use ddns with my isy more easily. I, like millions of other internet users have at&t dsl or u-verse. The modems / routers that are supplied by at&t are made by 2wire. I contacted both at&t and 2wire and were told by both companies that none of the 2wire products support ddns. I did figure out how to get around all of this, but this has required me to to run a 2nd router behind my 2wire router on a separate network just so that I can access my isy remotely. It would be great to be able to have ddns run on the isy so that the extra network gear and complexity could be removed. The mobilconnect product is interesting, but who knows how much they are going to charge for that service and it also forces users to rely on a 3rd party (cloud service) which is another potential point of failure.

I love my isy product, hopefully this helps!!!

• 4 months later...

I bought a Honeywell Wi-Fi Thermostat and somehow it knows how to get back to it from anywhere on the Internet, Iphone, etc. It was a very quick and easy setup whatever they did. Even simpler was the Insteon Hub setup. Neither required I change my router/firewall or know anything about it. So they must be hosting the DDNS as part of my account setup.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I would vote for having it. I would also put my vote in for supporting the namecheap.com protocol. DynDNS seems to get all the notoriety but namecheap is one of the only providers that includes it with your domain purchase. So you can buy a custom domain and the dynamic dns support is included. It also updates via an HTTPS request.

I also continually see on this site that DynDns is supported in ALL routers. This is a short sided way to look at it. I run a enterprise class Palo Alto Firewall , which displaced my cisco ASA, and neither of them support Dynamic DNS.

Jeremy

I use DNS.he.net (Free custom zone DNS hosting, with support for dynamic DNS) - but don't need it in ISY. I feel, like you, this belongs in the NAT device, not a device behind the NAT.

That being said, if you want to support only one with the broadest coverage - you should consider supporting dns-o-matic. This is run by opendns, takes in your updates and forwards the updates to many, many dynamic providers.

So, you only have to add one provider, users get their pick of hundreds (I think) of ddns providers. win-win I would think.

Michael.

• 1 month later...