What does "Safe Mode" actually do?

kclenden

I just received an ISY-994i PRO:

Model: ISY 994i 1024

Platform: ISY-C-994

Version: 3.3.10

Build Timestamp: 2013-01-17-01:13:50

It boots up in "Safe Mode" because I do not yet have a PLM. I've ordered a 2413S but it seems they are currently in short supply. So I figured that I would play around with the ISY-994i a little and get used to the programming while I wait on the PLM.

I am able to create Variables, both static and integer and then save them. I am also able to update the Config settings like "Location". I am able to create new Folders and Programs, but when I try to save them I receive "[HTTP]]". I thought maybe the JAVA console would give me more information, but all it shows is "Error sending save program request: 'My Programs' id=1".

So am I unable to save Folders and Programs because the ISY is in "Safe Mode"? Or will I still have this problem even after I receive a PLM? If "Safe Mode" is the culprit here, what else does "Safe Mode" restrict?

By the way, if someone from UD happens to read this, when I first went into the "Admin Console", it wouldn't let me proceed until I agreed to the "Terms". The problem is when you click on the "Read" button to actually read the terms, it takes you to "http://www.universal-devices.com/prod-disclaimer.pdf" which throws a 404 - page not found error. So where do I find the terms that I've agreed to?

Thanks for reading and any suggestions.

1. You cannot save and load programs in safe mode

2. Please try the URL again: http://www.universal-devices.com/prod-disclaimer.pdf ... broken link in the server. THANK YOU for bringing this to our attention

Michel - thanks for the reply. I can understand why the ISY wouldn't let you add/delete/modify links and scenes while in "Safe Mode" since it can't update the PLM or Device tables, but why doesn't it let you add/delete/modify folders and programs? Do programs actually run while the ISY is in "Safe Mode"? I think I read somewhere else in the forum that the ZigBee version of the ISY doesn't enter "Safe Mode" when the PLM isn't present. Is that true?

I tried the "Terms" link again, and it works now. Thanks.

Hello kclenden,

The reason is because of legacy issues with PLM (things we tried to prevent from happening) some of which no longer apply. So, we will revisit Safe Mode to see what else we can do.

Zigbee version does not go into safe mode because you can still communicate with Zigbee devices.

Thanks so very much for checking/verifying the link.

With kind regards,

Michel

Archived