Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Universal Devices Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bumbershoot

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Bumbershoot

  1. I originally figured I would put the climate data into variables that a second program would check before running. I may still do that, but I thought I'd give this program a whirl after reading this thread and see how it behaved. You're right, this might be too much water. I just wrote this program this morning, figuring I'd adjust it before long. The program ran for the first time this morning, right when I expected it would (four hours after sunrise). As I was typing this response, the program fired again, though not when I expected it to, so it appears you're correct about climate data changes re-triggering the "if" clause (the wind speed was the value that changed). And yes, I definitely want to shut the water off! It fired off this morning and caught the dog out in the yard doing her business, so at the very least I've gotten a laugh out it! This has been very helpful. Back to the drawing board...
  2. Okay, this thread has me a little confused. I wrote this little program to demonstrate my question. I want to water in some grass seed on the back lawn that suffered some winter/dog damage. Is there a way, within this program, to have the repeat clause reevaluate the conditions in the "if" statement prior to each repeat cycle (the climate module stuff is dynamic and would optimally be reevaluated each time the program repeats)? I was fairly certain that the "if" clause isn't reevaluated with each repeat cycle, but suddenly I'm unsure about that. Normally, I'd use one program to call other programs based on values from the climate module to accomplish this. Is that correct? BackLawnReSeed - [ID 008A][Parent 0089] If From 7:00:00AM on 2017/05/05 To 10:00:00PM on 2017/05/20 And ( From Sunrise + 4 hours To Sunset - 1 hour (same day) And ( Module 'Climate' Temperature > 50 °F And Module 'Climate' Total Rain Today < 0.2 " And Module 'Climate' Wind Speed < 15 mph ) ) Then Repeat Every 2 hours Set 'Devices / dirNodeServers / RainMachine / RainMachine / Rear Lawn' Start Wait 10 minutes Set 'Devices / dirNodeServers / RainMachine / RainMachine / Rear Lawn' Stop Else - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action') Thanks in advance. This forum is invaluable!
  3. Michel, If I understand you properly, devices such as the Ecobee thermostat or the CAO Wireless Sensors, both of which have cloud based API's, would be appropriate candidates for the development of UDI portal node servers? If so, then this nicely extends the idea of the node server, providing a significant extension for the ISY development community, and a clear win for ISY users. Thanks.
  4. I did the exact same thing, and it worked perfectly the first time. It's nice that we don't have to run Polyglot to get these nodes, and it makes me wonder what other other plans UDI might have for incorporating node servers into the portal. I can imagine Polyglot running on the portal servers...
  5. Indeed, there is a Nest node server, built by forum member einstein42. It runs on Polyglot, and allows your ISY to control your Nest and extends your Nest to control other devices on your ISY. I use ISY programs to change the heating/cooling mode when I'm away and return, to stop heating/cooling when a door or window is left open, to start/stop ceiling fans when heating/cooling modes change, etc. A good example use of the occupancy node in the ISY portal would be to use it to adjust your Nest when your home becomes unoccupied or occupied. Node servers are a bit of work to set up, but they'll help to keep your investment in the ISY relevant.
  6. The calibration on mine seems pretty good. Before the Nest, this house had an ancient (1999) Carrier thermostat that varied from the security system temperature sensor by up to four degrees (they're actually about three inches apart, so they're easy to compare). After I installed the Nest, the two almost always agree, and I've never noticed them diverging by more than one degree Fahrenheit. I don't actually know if either one are accurate, just that they agree. Also, and also maybe more importantly, I can't dispute the high WAF score that Nest achieves. It's gorgeous hardware, if nothing else, and the Mrs. like to tell Alexa to, "Set the Family Room to 70". Happy wife, happy life. The Nest was my first venture into HA, and it created a small reservoir of spousal good will for future projects. I agree, it's not a device that completely gets out of the way and lets you tinker. For example, the API doesn't seem to expose a way for me to adjust the settings for my humidifier (that I've discovered, anyway). And yeah, the "learning mode" does me no good at all. All in all, I like it, and the Mrs. loves it. Win.
  7. Wow, you guys work hard at this! I'm kinda lazy, so I let Nodelink running on my Rpi handle the heavy date/time lifting. Thanks io_guy!
  8. Bumbershoot replied to paulbates's topic in ISY994
    I've had this happen a couple of times. Deleting the device from the ISY, air gapping it then re-adding it has resolved the problem. Fortunately, I haven't had this happen to devices that are used in a great number of scenes, programs, etc. If you are able to extract the needed file from the backup.zip, I don't understand how you would get the file back into the ISY's file system, other than with a system restore or through the "Configuration | Networking | Web Server" Tabs, which only exposes "/USER/WEB", not "/CONF", if that's even the correct path. Maybe there's a method using telnet (it looks like there's "List files/directories" command), or some REST command? I couldn't find it, and gave up.
  9. You can also control Sonos using network resources. I find that using the node server to do the ordinary stuff is quite a bit easier to set up than network resources, though the possibilities are more limited. The screenshot shows your options when using the Sonos node server.
  10. Nodelink provides devices, with properties, to the ISY that you can use in programs, scenes, etc. It is similar to Polyglot in usage on the ISY, though Polyglot requires Python and Nodelink requires the mono libraries (on an Rpi). The Nodelink binary is a Windows executable (Nodelink.exe), and the mono libraries provide a Windows run-time environment on Unix variant hosts. IMHO both Polyglot and Nodelink provide similar functionality to the ISY by working with the new Node Server functionality built into the 5.x.x firmware series -- they extend your ISY to interact with devices that the ISY wouldn't otherwise support. You are no longer limited to Insteon devices, Z-Wave devices, ELK devices or devices that you can interact with using network resources. I think it's huge for the ISY to have this, and I also think the work of the Nodelink and Polyglot developers is equally huge in keeping this platform relevant in the HA marketplace. I've attached a screenshot of the node server directory on my ISY. Polyglot provides: Hue, Nest, Sonos, IP Camera and LIFX control. Nodelink provides: RainMachine and ISY Data. Simply having better and precise control of my irrigation (RainMachine) has saved enough money (water's expensive where I live) to pay for at least pieces of my HA habit. The developers of Nodelink and Polyglot are unpaid, as far as I know, other then through voluntary PayPal donations. I hope this helps...
  11. Thanks, I'd never poked around in the Ecobee developer site before. I see that all API calls use: https://api.ecobee.com That's too bad, though it might make their firmware easier to maintain and update. I appreciate the info...
  12. PurdueGuy, I apologize if I'm intruding or suggesting the obvious, but I notice in your signature that you're using running DSCLink on a Rpi. If/when you run ISY firmware > 5.0.4, you would be able to run io_guys Nodelink on your Rpi, allowing local data for both DSC and your Ecobee with one node server. The benefit may be that there's no more reliance on the cloud. I have neither DSC nor Ecobee, so I can't speak as to how well they work, but Nodelink seems rock solid in my Rpi. Edit: added screenshot showing Nodelink supported devices.
  13. The Nest is nice, and it has a high WAF, so I'm happy. Polyglot isn't bad to set up, but you'll need another device to run it on. Currently, I'm running it on an Rpi, but it runs well on my Mac mini. I recommend firmware version 5.0.9 if you're interested in that route. I have no real issues with the Nest at all.
  14. You might want to look here for some information on Insteon thermostat compatibility with your heat pump. The Insteon thermostats that I installed are not on an ISY, but an Insteon Hub. The screenshot shows how a thermostat appears in the iOS Insteon app. Note however that this screenshot is from a thermostat that is in a home with a furnace and air conditioning, not a heat pump. I don't recall if the Insteon thermostat will control a whole home humidifier, though it certainly reports humidity. EDIT: The Insteon thermostat is an RF only device IIRC, so you may need a dual-band Insteon device somewhere in the vicinity.
  15. If you're not averse to running Alpha firmware on your ISY (version > 5.0.4), then there are more options with Nodelink and Polyglot node servers. Running Polyglot, you can directly control Nest thermostats (which I'm using), and with Nodelink you have the ability to control at least three options: Venstar, Ecobee or Honeywell TCC. The Nest (see screenshot of Nest as a Polyglot node) operates just fine for me, and it plays well with Alexa. Were I to replace the Nest, I would likely go with Ecobee (I like the remote sensors) and control it using my ISY and Nodelink. I also installed two Insteon thermostats at a relatives house, and they've been entirely issue free (they've been installed about a year). All that said, I've had no problems at all with my Z-Wave devices, once I established a sufficient Z-Wave mesh. There are loads of Z-Wave thermostats (at least on Amazon), if you're willing to build the network.
  16. I use MobiLinc on iOS and am quite happy with it. Since you're an Andriod user, you might look at Agave, which is written by an active member of this forum. People seem enthusiastic about it.
  17. Oops, 4.5.4 doesn't support decimals in variables, as far as I know. You'll need to do some math on the values prior to sending them to your ISY. Edit: I don't think I changed the original formula for the voltage values in my app, which needs a variable precision of three. You'll need to change the formula for firmware 4.5.4, I suspect. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. Hi Joe. See the screenshot in post 52 of this thread and you'll see how the voltage variables are displayed on my ISY, and the bold print in post 54 for a possible solution to the missing data for your second tag - this tripped me up similarly. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. I'm not home do I can't post a screenshot, but I have my voltage variables set to a precision of three, in order to get them to display correctly. Firmware version is 5.0.8.
  20. I've been able to remotely open the door a few times for unexpected guests, so I haven't made extensive use of the Z-Wave features, other than the notification abilities through the ISY. That is big when you need it, but I don't need it daily.
  21. I had a large house remodel over the summer, so I used the locks to allow access (and keep track of) the various contractors who were coming and going (they all had unique codes, and I got notified every time they came and went). I didn't want to give out keys... Since then, the locks have been useful for house guests and family. I'm very pleased. Plus, I can take to dog for a walk without having to locate my keychain, and the dog appreciates spontaneity...
  22. Yes, you'll need to configure the tags for monitoring those values. Also, I *think* (I don't actually recall) that they only update when the value changes, so maybe wait a bit?
  23. I have two of them, powered by USB, that I bought primarily to use as secure repeaters for my locks. They've been very good for the nine months I've had them. There have quite a bit of functionality. My ISY firmware version is 5.0.8, which may make a difference. I cant speak to the Glass Break Alarm, Tamper Alarm, Intrusion Alarm functionality, and I don't run any programs that use the "Luminance" value, so I can't help you there. You have the ability to calibrate this device, and set a variety of parameters, so they're highly configurable. For my 2¢, they're quite useful.
  24. Another thought: I had to "Reset State" on my tags before they started to send data. You might give that a try if still no success. See this post.
  25. The first question is if your variables are STATE variables. This line in the code sends updates to STATE variables: var isy_RESTcall = "http://"+isy_user+":"+isy_password+"@"+isy_ip+"/rest/vars/set/2/" If you have INTEGER variables, then the line would need to look like this: var isy_RESTcall = "http://"+isy_user+":"+isy_password+"@"+isy_ip+"/rest/vars/set/1/" Also, did you make sure to include your tags in the selection list while configuring the app? Otherwise, I don't see anything obvious.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.