Upgrade from 99i to 994i

jwagner010

I am sure this exists somewhere on the wiki or forum but I couldn't find it, I just purchased a 994i to upgrade my 99i. Is there an instruction guide for how to replace my 99i with my new 994i when it arrives? I do not want to screw things up and lose my years of configuration, including programs and network resources. I am particularly concerned on how to transfer the network resources module and getting network resources transferred across. Is there a guide for me to follow? I am sure this will be a common question with the new firmware not being available on the old 99i devices going forward.

The procedure is as follows:

Upgrade the 99i to the latest firmware for the 99i (3.3.10) if you haven't already.

Backup the 99i

Since you have the network module, copy any files that you have placed in the 99i's webserver as these are not backed up by the above backup. If you haven't touched the webserver at all then don't worry about this. Your Network Resource Rules ARE in the backup. Don't worry about them.

Make a note of the uuid of the 99i from Help/About, make a note of any addon modules (Network Resources Module etc) that you have purchased that you want transferred to the 994i. Make a note of your SMTP settings for notifications as you may need to enter these into the 994 after restore.

Unplug the PLM from power, disconnect the 99i and replace with the 994i.

Plug the PLM back in, wait 5-10 seconds then power up the 994i.

Log into the 994i admin console and Upgrade the 994's firmware to 3.3.10 if not already there. You can skip the backup step here when prompted as there is nothing configured that needs to be backed up from the 994i.

Once upgraded to 3.3.10, log into the 994i and restore the backup from the 99i

If you had a static IP address set in your 99, you should be prompted about setting that address in the 994 or leaving the 994 configured for DHCP. - Your choice.

NOTE A: If you have port forwards all set up in your router, restore your static address and nothing in the router should need to change.

NOTE B: If your static address is provided by your router using MAC reservation, you will need to edit that reservation in your router to use the 994's MAC/UUID instead of the 99's

You will need to reset your custom username and password if you have changed them from the default (recommended)

Email support@universal-devices.com with the old uuid, new uuid and list of purchased addon modules that you want transferred to the 994i. Support has been very responsive on these requests.

Once that has been done, you can replace any files that were on the 99i's web server.

Double check your location settings, NTP server settings and correct if necessary.

Now, make a backup of the 994i with your configuration and save this one.

That should do it!

Hope this helps.

-Xathros

EDITED 3/8/13 to add additional detail.

Thank You very helpful, I will follow the instructions once the 994i arrives.

So it appears that even though I restore from the back up before the Network Resources module is transferred/activated on the new 994i the Network Resources are in fact still there on the 994i, just not accessible until the Network Resource module is activated by UDI?

@jwagner010

Thanks for starting this thread. My 994i is shipping and I was just starting to look into how difficult the change over might be.

@Xathros

Thanks for the nice thorough walk-through of the steps involved. Looks pretty straight forward.

Hopefully that means I get the new Z-wave adapter up and running sooner than I expected! :D

I received my 994i upgrade today and the instructions mentioned worked perfectly!

Many thanks.

I also did the same with success.

I did notice some "things" that were easily correctable:

I noticed is that the default log on after restoring the backup was Admin:Admin, not what I had on the old 99i.

I had to re-key the Elk user pass code and I also had to reboot once to get the Elk Module to connect (where the ELk bar shows at the top of the screen).

I also had to change the email server settings from default to the gmail settings. (Outgoing SMTP server information)

All other custom emails and messages were there. It actually worked right out of the box with the default email server checked.

I don't want to ruin it for others but my module transfer email was responded to as completed in under 2 minutes. Gotta love that... Fast gmail servers and fast customer service.

My upgrade had some stumbling blocks. Minor ones.

Everything went as above until it got to 99% of the restore and then asked if I wanted to replace the DHCP settings with my fixed IP settings from the backup. Answered yes and it rebooted.

But when I went to http:x.x.x.x/admin all I got was a blank blue default admin console. Not able to log in, nothing displayed and an error about UUID mismatch.

I thought it might be a Java issue so I cleared Java cache, then went to the web interface http:/x.x.x.x:80 (which worked by the way) to reinstall the admin console, but it would fail the installation. Restarting IE, clearing cache would get me the same blank Admin console with UUID mismatch. I could tell the ISY was running code, just couldn't access via the admin console. Turned off peer block, turned off firewall, updated Java from Oracle website. Admin console would now install and instead of UUID mismatch error, this time I got a "ISY finder" popup window where I had to "add" the ISY http://x.x.x.x address. Don't remember that first time around.

From that point on everything worked. Had to reset location, update password and enable internet for mobilinc.

Roger

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

paauto-

You can downgrade the 994 to 3.3.10, restore your 3.3.10 backup from the 99i then upgrade to 4.0.5 after.

-Xathros

Desktop is fine. The Manual Upgrade process will allow you to point to the firmware file wherever you put it.

-Xathros

• 2 weeks later...

Just got aroung to installing the 994i. Everythng seems to be working fine, but when I try to access the control panel I get an error message about a UUID mismatch - essentially saying there is a mismatch between the UUID of the 99i vs. that of the 994i. How do I fix this?

Archived