Programing trouble

Nikki

Michael,

Unfortunately not. Cannot keep adding support for anything that pops up. Perhaps Ube can integrate with ISY which is should be quite easy.

With kind regards,

Michel

What do you mean unfortunately not? Does not the zwave radio give ISY control and integration of zwave devices?

EDIT: Wait, I think you meant only UBE.

Michael,

Unfortunately not. Cannot keep adding support for anything that pops up. Perhaps Ube can integrate with ISY which is should be quite easy.

With kind regards,

Michel

I do agree with the 'anything that pops up' mentality. I get that. Perhaps something more generic though.

The UBE is a generic network device. I realize there is no published API yet - but how about this in concept. I would like to know more about your statement 'Perhaps Ube can integrate with ISY which is should be quite easy.'. How would one integrate a third party device like this, assuming a REST API is available, such that it is a first-class device in the device tree?

Michael.

Be curious to UBE even makes it a year. It appears everyone and their dog is coming out with their own protocols, own hardware, own hubs, own scripting.

Personally I would like a display touch screen on the UBE that could show the weather, temps, power consumption, all kinds of little things on the switch it self.

Also every light switch should have a motion sensor in them, be great for room detection..

I find myself in agreement with Alan ...

Michael, first class is subjective. The question is: how can you make ISY a first class device for UBE?

Also, two cases right now:

1. Start with variables ... UBE can publish to variables just like Autelis and DSCLinc

2. Once we have bidirectional framework, then it can become a first class device

In short, we cannot just jump and integrate with everything that pops out of the woodwork. We have priorities such as Z-Wave, Ecobee, OpenADR 2.0B, SEP 2.0 and in short things are that are more ubiquitous and standardized than prototype units for which we have to beg for documentation (Ecobee used to be the same but they have changed!).

With kind regards,

Michel

1. Start with variables ... UBE can publish to variables just like Autelis and DSCLinc

I am doing this already with some functions in my house.. It's very kludgy though and not very workable for many. Hence my 'first class device' question - having the ability to have generic nodes in the device tree that do custom API calls to other network devices. I use a Raspberry Pi, but sometimes it feels like I'm just reimplementing the ISY in PHP.....

2. Once we have bidirectional framework, then it can become a first class device

I guess I, again, need to exhibit patience :).It sounds like this is what I'm missing and it sounds like you are already on it.

Thanks!

Michael.

Yeah for Ecobee.. The slab sensor goes into the bathroom floor concrete board this morning when the tile guy shows up..

Then I can start fishing lines to the shop and the bathroom so when the big sale from someplace hits the commercial unit I can handle three "zones" in one thermostat..

I think another of UBE's issue is no physical feedback. The Smarthome insteon are feedback weak, but much better than the old X-10 switches.

Alan

Yeah, we went all over the map on that one. :lol:

In everyone's defense, however, a lot of this discussion was arguable initiated by, and addresses, your initial "side note" about continued use of insteon. As the ISY becomes multi-lingual (adding zigbee, z-wave, etc...) this gives one options to introduce other types of devices in the hope that they are more reliable (as you hoped).

OK. that was a stretch.

Woah, how did we get here? :shock: This is what I call post hijacking

Back to your original post. I never have any troubles with SH when it comes to returning stuff that is broken and inside of warranty. They really have never given me a hard time. Except, if I didn't buy it directly from them. So I only buy direct from them. Plus when they do the 20% sales with free shipping they are cheapest available anyway.

In the past few years there stuff doesn't seem to be breaking though.

I have also had positive experiences dealing with Smarthome. Recently, a 2413S dual-band PLM failed, two months inside the warranty. (My luck is normally on the other side of the warranty calendar!) With a single call to Smarthome describing the problem (suddenly, all device querys returned ERR), they provided a pre-paid return shipping label, and a week later I received a notice that the replacement device had been shipped. No complaints here.

Archived