First Character Overwritten

Chasewood

I run Windows XP and see this problem in the Admin Console with any of Explorer, Firefox or Chrome set as preferred browser.

Immediately after logging on to the Admin Console, under the main tab, if I select a keypadlink sub-switch or a remote link 2 switch from the ISY list, the first time the name in the main screen displays correctly.

After that, for an INSTEON device in the ISY list, the first character of the name is overwritten by the last character in the name.

If I select a device under a scene, the displays in the Current State, On Level and Ramp Rate are corrupted, usually with f and % characters. If the state of the device changes, the display corruption sometimes changes to a different corruption or displays correctly.

This problem doesn't show up when I use Safari, Explorer of Firefox on our MAC.

I got some domestic help which resulted in your post being read and understood.

There was a mismatch between the Firmware v.4.0.5 and the UI v.3.3.10.

Clearing the java cache and reopening the AC shows both are now at v.4.0.5 and the problem has gone away.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

We've resurrected our old XP laptop, updated the OS and Java on it and installed the ISY AC.

It works perfectly there and without the overwrite problems I have on my working system.

Looks like the issue is caused by something unique to the working system, although I am not aware of any similar symptoms in other applications.

I can live with that.

Hi Chasewood-

Try Changing the Windows Theme to Windows Default and see if that fixes the display issue.

-Xathros

I was using default. I tried a couple of different ones and the displays in the fields changed. Some that were corrupted displayed correctly and vice versa. Some that were corrupted stayed and some changed to other corrupted forms.

Looks like you've found a way to tweak it at least.

If the admin console is the only place you see this happen, then I suspect a broken Java install. Completely remove Java, restart the machine and reinstall Java from a fresh download of the current version.

-Xathros

I deinstalled Java, rebooted and reinstalled it. No change.

The following seems to be consistent in the display.

1) If the device is X10 or INSTEON dimmer switch and the display of the name of the device is corrupted, if I click on another item in the list and then click back on the X10 item, the display is no longer corrupted. I don't see a similar consistence in the displays of the other fields.

2) If the device is an RL2 or KPL and the display of the name is corrupted, the technique in 1 leaves the corruption unchanged.

Maybe I should delete and reinstall the ISY?

After this morning, I'll be gone for vacation for a week or so. Please don't take my lack of response over that period as a lack of either continued interest or appreciation for your help.

If the problem was the ISY, then it would affect all of the system that you use to access it. This is something local to that system/XP install. Besides, all of the UI is in code that lives external to the ISY so reinstalling the ISY would not change anything there.

Not sure where to go from here. Are your video card drivers up to date?

Maybe start the XP machine in "Safe Mode with Networking" and test. See if the problem goes away. If so, there is likely a driver or software conflict.

-Xathros

I was thinking about re-installing the AC on my production system, not the ISY itself. Reinstalling the AC isn't much to do so I'll probably try that when I get back.

I think this is unrelated, but I just noticed that my other XP system is not displaying current state, either at the ISY or device level. I'm hoping that's a parameter to set somewhere. I'll look in the Wiki.

See you late next week.

Chasewood

When the Admin Console on one system shows state changes and another system does not that usually indicates the AV on the one not showing state changes is likely blocking the push of data from the ISY to the Admin Console application.

Archived