Remote Access to ISY Erases PLM Links

NeilP

Hi all,

For the second time now I have remotely accessed my ISY 99irPro, done nothing more than turn a few lights off and on and have subsequently had all of the links in the ISY's PLM erased. This of course stops all my ISY programs from working. I do not remotely access the ISY very often.

Anyone else have this problem? Suggestions?

Thanks

Neil

Hi Michel,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I have had the PLM links erased twice, once just a couple of days ago and the other time in mid-May. Each time occurred after I accessed my ISY remotely.

It does not happen every time that I access remotely. Today I was away from home, accessed the ISY remotely then checked the link tables when I got home. They were OK.

I have never had the PLM links erased when I access on my home LAN. In fact the links have never been erased except for the two previously mentioned times.

Two link erasure events may not seem like much but they prevent all of my programs from working and the WAF takes a major hit!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Neil

Hi Michel,

When operating normally I have exactly 250 links in the PLM.

Interesting comment about spontaneous erasing of PLM links.

For what it is worth, another data point that you might want to consider is that my ISY 99irPro in the past couple of weeks has "locked up" a couple of times so that the TX and RX LEDs were on constantly. The only way out was to power cycle the ISY while also removing the PLM and LAN Ethernet cables.

Neil

Michel,

Firmware V.3.3.10

My PLM lost it's links again today. This time I was not accessing remotely but on my LAN. I was playing with an app for my iPad2 called FING which finds what devices are on your LAN, tells you their local IP address and allows you to access the services offered by those devices. I did access the ISY through FING but didn't do anything in the ISY. Later in the day I noticed that one of my programs was not working (the one controlling the lights in my wife's powder room...big trouble!) so I checked the PLM links and they were gone. I reloaded them and everything worked OK.

I did notice after reloading that the number of links was 746, not the 250 that was previously indicated. I don't know why such a difference. I had not made any changes to my config.

Neil

NeilP

Any Insteon traffic reaching the PLM during the Show PLM Links Table run will produce in invalid link record display and subsequent invalid count. The Show PLM Links Table/Count should be run 3-4 times and only when the same link record count is obtained multiple times should the count be considered valid.

I just got pointed to this thread by the guys at Smarthome, as I am seeing the same issue. In my case when my PLM loses power I lose all links in the PLM.

http://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13067 is the thread I started.

My PLM now regularly reports 928 links and it loses all of them when the power is lost. It sounds like an awful lot of links according to Smarthome and on the thread in their forum. I have 20+ switchlincs, 6 or so kpl's, a bunch of plug in modules, thermostat, IO lincs for garage doors etc. I don't know if that count seems reasonable. I have maybe 50 or so scenes. These are guessed numbers.

I was about to order a replacement when I realized it's still < 2 years old and called support, leading me here, as they are keen to find out the root cause too it seems.

My ISY is 4.0.5.

Greg

Michel,

As per Lee G, I ran my PLM link count three times with no other activity in the house and got a link count of 220 on all three counts. So that is probably the true number.

My PLM is a 2413S, V1.5 according to the sticker and V98 according to the ISY. It is the original unit that came with my ISY kit and is less than two years old.

Hope this helps.

Neil

Some basic PLM link record counts:

8 button KPL – 9 link records

6 button KPL - 6 link records

SwitchLinc – 2 link records

LampLinc – 2 link records

ApplianceLinc - 1 link record

Motion Sensor – 3 link records

Remote Mini 8 Scene – 8 link records

Remote Mini 4 Scene – 4 link records

Remote Mini – 1 link record

Open/Close Sensor (TriggerLinc) – 2 link records

Thermostat – 1 link record for each node

Leak Sensor – 3 link records

Smoke Bridge – 8 link records

Generally 1 link record for each node for those not listed

ISY Scene – 1 for each device that is reacting as a Responder (includes Controller that is also a Responder)

You can also tell by looking at the Show PLM Links Table results. After doing the Restore Modem (PLM) the Show results will generally be in Insteon address order although there may be more than one group of addresses in that order.

This is an example of a 6 button KPL. There are 6 link records associated with the 6 button KPL being added to the ISY. There are 5 link records that have the various KPL buttons as Responders which are from using the buttons in ISY Scenes.

0015 : E2 3F 12.B9.0D 01 1B 36

0016 : E2 3E 12.B9.0D 01 1B 36

0017 : E2 3D 12.B9.0D 01 1B 36

0018 : E2 3C 12.B9.0D 01 1B 36

0019 : E2 00 12.B9.0D 01 1B 36

001A : E2 30 12.B9.0D 01 1B 36

001B : A2 01 12.B9.0D 01 1B 36

001C : A2 03 12.B9.0D 01 1B 36

001D : A2 04 12.B9.0D 01 1B 36

001E : A2 05 12.B9.0D 01 1B 36

001F : A2 06 12.B9.0D 01 1B 36

Archived