My ISY unit time's out, need help.

riskybiz

Hello,

I've owned ISY994 for about 6 months and had one dimmer linked to it in my apartment which worked flawlessly. I recently moved to a house and have over 20 devices connected. My issue is as follows, when I plug in the ISY unit directly into the router (Verizon FIOS) it works for about 5 minutes and then goes offline with a message "Socket Open Failed java.net.SocketTimeoutException". Additionally, every since I started using FIOS I've been having problems connecting to the internet after a few hours of good connection. At first I thought there was issue with my wiring. A FIOS technician came out and changed the modem/router and reconnected everything and reconfigured. My internet started working perfectly for 4 days until yesterday when I decided to try to hook up my ISY device again. Today again my internet goes out until I restart my router. Additionally, what I did yesterday was try to make a static IP as well as port forwarding. Somehow I feel this messes up my internet in the house. I tried many different configurations and I am unable to get the system to work for a whole day. Please help. This is very frustrating since a lot of money was invested into these products. The dimmers that I use are Insteon via PLM.

Thank you and much appreciated,

Gary

Hi Gary,

Verizon FIOS, DirecTV, and some other devices have a tendency of bombarding ISY with traffic to the point that ISY goes into DOS mode (Denial of Service) thinking it's a hacker.

Please do be kind enough to:

1. As Xahtros suggested, send your Error Log

2. Put the link to this post in your email

Send to support@universal-devices.com.

With kind regards,

Michel

I had a long history of problems when trying to use the Verizon Actiontec routers. I finally had to configure our system so that a separate (currently Netgear, but have used Linksys) router did the actual routing and wifi, and the A-tec just talked to the STB's over coax to retain use of guides, widgets, etc.. Works great now. No idea if this is your problem, but if so that might be worth a try.

If you have a friend with a spare router laying around (many of us probably have several, so just look for the geekiest friend you know) you can probably try this over a weekend. However, as I recall you will need to contact Verizon tech support to get them to "break the lease" with their box so that you can try this (a technical, not contractual, thing). So may need to call on a Friday from home. And also may need 2nd level support as 1st level are normally just operators with scripts.

I don't have the link currently handy, but Google something like "replace Actiontec router" and there are multiple threads about this.

Thank you everyone for the quick replies. Apologies, I was away fro the weekend and can only post the log once I get home tonight. Is there any private information like IP addresses that can be displayed in the log. Perhaps i should e-mail the support address Michel provided me.

Madcodger, it definitely does sound like we had the same issue. I was very tempted to go and get my own router or possibly just switch to Cablivision, when speaking to FIOS tech, they advised if I use my own router I would lose the TV guides, widgets, etc. Just to clarify your current setup You have the coax coming into Actiontec router and how do you get the signal over to Netgear to do the actual routing? Do you just connect it into one of the ports?

Thanks everyone.

Archived