Will Insteon work on long driveway?

I don't know if I have an Insteon communication issue yet or not.

We are planning to install a driveway gate about 150'-200' from the house (as the wire runs). While we're running power for the gate, I'd like to put a post light or perhaps some floods nearby, and perhaps be able to set up an IOLink to monitor when the gate is open (it will trigger via a detector in the driveway, so there should be no need to control it from the house). Rather than running multiple circuits from the house, I'd prefer to run one 12/2 and use Insteon to control the lights (the gate circuit would always be on).

What is the chance of an Insteon signal making it that distance? This run is likely to be a new dedicated circuit, should I consider having an outlet on the circuit near the breaker panel to host a dual-band device to ensure a good signal?

The run to a detached garage is a good 300' wire run. Insteon devices in the garage work fine. Have had two EZIO2X4s monitoring and controlling garage doors for years. Also ICONs controlling 1st and 2nd floor lights. No Dual Band devices in garage.

Not sure if this is applicable but I have two separate electrical services on my property.I can control the insteon stuff in the barns from the house.

So the signal has to go from the house to the pole on the road, come back and go to the barns.

I'm nor sure exactly how many feet it is but it would be over 500 for sure.

Drew

Archived